Fight obesity like tobacco

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Fight obesity like tobacco

Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody hell, when I was a real size 12, size 16 was enormous. Size 16 is now a real size 20. That's hardly healthy for an average height woman. I am 5' 9" and if I was size 16 (old which is now 20) I would be in the hugely obese range. :shock: :shock: :shock:

MMM you are a bit wrong on this.

It doesn't matter to me, but I have a wife and a daughter who are tall, and NOT HUGELY OBESE, and as has been mentioned here they can wear 10 to 16 depending on the shop.

It does smack more of someone being very satisfied with there tiny little body! Which is nice.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

contadina

Sizes are mostly height and weight proportionate, which very few of us are. Some manufacturers use "vanity sizing" and others don't, but at the end of the day its just a number, and the only important factor is that it fits.

Millymollymandy

boboff wrote:
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody hell, when I was a real size 12, size 16 was enormous. Size 16 is now a real size 20. That's hardly healthy for an average height woman. I am 5' 9" and if I was size 16 (old which is now 20) I would be in the hugely obese range. :shock: :shock: :shock:

MMM you are a bit wrong on this.

It doesn't matter to me, but I have a wife and a daughter who are tall, and NOT HUGELY OBESE, and as has been mentioned here they can wear 10 to 16 depending on the shop.

It does smack more of someone being very satisfied with there tiny little body! Which is nice.
I hardly have a tiny little body being 5' 9" and you should know that a woman is never satisfied with her body. It just annoys me that I have a healthy SIZED body (normal BMI) and can barely find clothes to fit me any more!

My friend's mother was size 16 when we were teenagers and she was obese, fat, whatever you want to call it. It's just that these days slim, which was the norm when I was a kid/teenager/in my 20s and into my 30s, is not the norm any more. When I was young I didn't know ANY fat children. They just didn't exist apart from one or two Americans who were briefly living in the neighbourhood and those kids stood out like sore thumbs. So what I see as fat and what other people see as fat are different, as I grew up in a slim world. It's just since I left the UK that everyone has (apparently) grown so big that sizes have had to be made smaller.

And if I fitted a size 20 (new size 16) I would be in the obese BMI.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

boboff

I would agree, but I don't as you haven't mentioned anything about this being a style and shop issue.

I said earlier it would be easier if womens clothes like mens were based on actual sizes, i.e. 38" waist, they can do it with Boulder Holders for ladies, why not actual clothes?

Your assignation that a lady wearing a size 16 in the uk is Obese, I still find fundamentally rude, whether or not you grew up with rationing or not. A lady in a 16 from Evans's, Asda or M&S, I would possibly agree, a lady in a 16 from Primark, Next, H&M, I would say no, definitely not (although it would be height dependant!)

I really can't say whether a 20 when you were a girl is now a 16, I think not, and I think that living in the UK it is apparent that everyone has not grown so big they have had to make the sizes smaller, but now I do feel a bit silly for argueing what is really a mute point, one for which I don't really have a strong view on, but I do know MMM that a lady living in the UK at this point in time, who has recently dieted to get into a 16 dress size, comes on here to read nice gardening stuff, would be mortified to find people saying that a 16 is really a 20, and they should get real and accept they are still FAT.

Does that make sence?
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

Millymollymandy

I should think anyone who is not a teenager would know that clothes sizes have got smaller over the years. I just would like to know why it is OK for 'large' people to have pops at slim people and call them skinny and worse, when we are supposed to be all PC and nice and not call fat people fat. Just standing up for myself for a change. So there.

Susie

boboff wrote:but I do know MMM that a lady living in the UK at this point in time, who has recently dieted to get into a 16 dress size, comes on here to read nice gardening stuff, would be mortified to find people saying that a 16 is really a 20, and they should get real and accept they are still FAT.

Does that make sence?
Delurking briefly to say I agree with you boboff.
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've only got a small amount of experience in matters of womens clothes but I'd say there is a change in the sizing.
As I said some of my wifes clothes are sized at 16 and I can remember my mother also being a size 16. However , there is a world of difference between them. My wife is hardly overweight but my mother was a big woman, my mothers clothes would fit my wife like a sack.
Vanity sizing has been mentioned but I've wondered whether there is a sort of mirror of this with smaller clothes being labeled in larger sizes, and if this is the case maybe it's a suble way to get women to stay slim. A smaller dress size always sounds better.
I agree with mmm about there being a lot less overweight people when we or at least me were growing up. I grew up in the 70's and there were only a couple of fat kids at school and they had fun poked at them. It's accepted nowadays that we shouldn't pick fun or bully anybody for whatever reason but maybe just a little bit wouldn't hurt.
I can also remember size 18 and above being in special OS or oversized catalogues. My mother would refer to these catalogues as "'orse sizes" (horse sizes).
But, being a bloke I'd still prefer to see size in simple terms of inches or centimetres, after all even vague sizing such as small , medium , large or extra large is a bit of guesswork.

Pete

boboff

That is interesting Pete, that you say an old 16 is like a 22 today, and MMM says it's exactly the oposite.

MMM good for you for standing up for yourself, I for one wouldn't be hypocritcal enough to say that stating the truth as you see it, and sod the consequences of upsetting people, is wrong in any way. MMM the new Boboff! My Job here is done! LOL!

Anyway, I am rather happy with myself as I have this morning sorted the short out on the switch in the Downstairs lobby and toilet, and removed two sets of annoying halogen lights and replaced them with nice energy efficient bulbs, I had to move the wiring in the cieling and fit new fittings, test and away we go, as someone who is Sh one Tea scared of electrics, and the last time a changed a fitting all the upstairs lights stopped working, this is good news.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

boboff

Interesting Zech, it is especially true that the different stores cater for different body shapes.

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

boboff wrote:
Your assignation that a lady wearing a size 16 in the uk is Obese, I still find fundamentally rude, whether or not you grew up with rationing or not. A lady in a 16 from Evans's, Asda or M&S, I would possibly agree, a lady in a 16 from Primark, Next, H&M, I would say no, definitely not (although it would be height dependant!)

Primark sizes are really small, i have to get a 12 for most things and im usually a 10. I buy all the kids clothes from primark as its so cheap and they grow out of them so quickly its not worth spending money on good quality, expensive clothes. I have to buy 1 or 2 sizes bigger for my kids so they fit. But they've got some lovely baby/kids clothes, really good value for money, even if the sizes are all messed up.

You should try shopping for clothes in Macedonia, most of the clothes come from china and the sizes are all completely wrong. I bought a pair of jeans sized XXL and they were still a bit tight on me but they didn't have any size bigger that that. I know i put on weight when i was pregnant but there's no way in hell im a size XXL! And there's lots of fat people here too but all the nice clothes shops only seem to have sizes that fit teenagers and slim people. I wonder where the fat people shop........ :scratch:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Millymollymandy

boboff wrote: MMM good for you for standing up for yourself, I for one wouldn't be hypocritcal enough to say that stating the truth as you see it, and sod the consequences of upsetting people, is wrong in any way. MMM the new Boboff! My Job here is done! LOL!
hahaha :lol:
You've missed my point entirely. I am sick to death of having to be polite to people who are overweight and not be allowed to use the 3 letter f word because it is not polite, yet they are allowed to be as rude to me as they like about being 'skinny' or worse - even to my face. Why is that? I am not underweight, I have a normal BMI but I am fed up with skinny bashing all over the internet and so on this thread I have used the FAT word for a change, and on purpose, instead of being my usual polite self and saying 'large' or whatever is the pc word.

That's what I am standing up for - if you don't want people to call you fat then don't be rude to people who are slim and call them names either. I see it has upset you my saying FAT so put yourself in other people's shoes for a change.

Now I will go back to being my normal nice self and not call names, but the next person who says to my face anything about my weight I will say the same back I think, and see how they like it! :iconbiggrin:

Millymollymandy

demi wrote:
boboff wrote:

Primark sizes are really small, i have to get a 12 for most things and im usually a 10. I buy all the kids clothes from primark as its so cheap and they grow out of them so quickly its not worth spending money on good quality, expensive clothes. I have to buy 1 or 2 sizes bigger for my kids so they fit. But they've got some lovely baby/kids clothes, really good value for money, even if the sizes are all messed up.

You should try shopping for clothes in Macedonia, most of the clothes come from china and the sizes are all completely wrong. I bought a pair of jeans sized XXL and they were still a bit tight on me but they didn't have any size bigger that that. I know i put on weight when i was pregnant but there's no way in hell im a size XXL! And there's lots of fat people here too but all the nice clothes shops only seem to have sizes that fit teenagers and slim people. I wonder where the fat people shop........ :scratch:
I'm often Extra Large in France!

boboff

Ah so my little Joke about you being lovely and skinny wasn't taken the way I intended then!

Where's Big Al gone?

I haven't come across skinny bashing, not likely to either the amount of chips I eat!

Do you ever watch Supersize/Superskinny ? It's really interesting as it very much shows that both sizes have fundamentally the same issues, but on oposite ends of the spectrum.

Personally I like my Tops the same as my evening DVD's... XXX....

oldjerry

Dress sizes have definitely changed over recent years,I can't get into any of mine..