here we go again.....

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: here we go again.....

Toffee apples,pretty much lifted from BBC good food ,which I printed off last year.Basically the most important thing is to wash the apples in boling water.Try googling it,if you cant find it,pm me (memory going,sorry!)

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Well Clare, it seems as though we will be joining the struggle once again. My Sweetie is fairly certain this is his (and four other guys at the plant) last day of work.

We are so blessed to have the skills and the knowledge to cut corners, make-it-ourselves, do with less, and do without. It used to scare me when he got laid off, but now it's pretty much old hat.

The Lord will provide. He always has.

I'm glad to hear things are going better for you!!
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

my thoughts are with you,that stomach churning when you find out never lessens but you are right if you put your mind to it and knuckle down to some hard work and organisation you can get through.we are still living off the freezer and I am shopping late buying reduced stuff,selling stuff , driving less and scavaging any. wood for the fire good luck I hope he gets something else soon.
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

sticky pumpkin muffin recipe
400 g pumpkin deseeded, peeled roughly chopped finely chop if you don't have a food processor
350g light brown sugar
4 eggs
300g plain flour
2 heaped tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Walnuts a handful.
175ml olive oil
Topping-icing,or lemon zest icing.

Whiz pumpkin in Food processor,pe-heat oven to 180
add sugar and eggs,then flour ,baking powder,cinnamon and olive oil.(walnuts are optional at this point)combine everything no more don't overdo the mixing.
Fill muffin tin or muffin cases to the top bake for 20-25 mins check by insurting a skewer in centre if it's clean they are done.
Allow to cool and ice if you want to they are rather sweet so can do without it but my girls like them iced!!
Then put the kettle on!!!
ENJOY!!!

prison break fan

Mrs. Moustoir,how do you hull the pumpkin seeds please. pbf.

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

I haven't found an easy way to do it pbf. It's a messy job, scraping away the flesh and stringy bits.

Some recipes suggest boiling the seeds to get rid of the gunk. I haven't tried that as I've found you need to dry them out before you spice and roast them otherwise they just steam in their own moisture.

I just degunk, spread the seeds out on a baking tray and pop them into a low temperature oven for an hour or so. Then I add spice/Worcs sauce and roast again to crisp them up. You need to keep an eye on them though as they burn quite easily.

Perhaps we should have a special pumpkin thread! Clare's pumpkin muffin recipe looks good too.

prison break fan

Thanks for that Mrs. M, I think the pumpkin thread is a brilliant idea, I have masses this year although it was supposedly a poor year for them. They obviously liked my neglect! I have once made pumpkin pie but mostly I just make soup! Not very imaginative! pbf.

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

Post that roasted pumkin seeds & worcestershire sauce recipe for me would you, I have loads of them saved this year, loads, thanks
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/

ajs88
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Really crap is only suitable description. It's beyond frustrating when your in a situation because of things outside of your control and despite your hardwork and efforts.

Your right to refuse to get into debt. I too have been dreading Christmas, its so hard to join in with such things, traditions, expectations etc.

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

To clean pumpkin seeds from the pulp.. put them in a large bowl of water and rub them through your hands quite roughly, if you keep at it they seperate from the stringy bits and you can remove the pulp by sieving through your fingers. I can't remember whether it's the pulp or the seeds that tend to float - I think it's the pulp and the seeds sink.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

Well we are nearly there,nearly to November with hubby's wages untouched,I am feeling quite smug.the freezer is very low,the tin cupboard is nearly empty and our cockeral is going in the pot today but we have worked hard to get there.a trip to the scrappy got us £55 and eBay sales last week got us £85 and I had a couple of complaint letter to frijj shake(one exploded In my kitchen) got £20 and cadburys got £6 voucher.I have 10 more items finishing tonight on eBay so fingers crossed....
Clare

The Riff-Raff Element

Well done! You've been very resourceful and hopefully things will get easier soon.

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

More power to your elbow Clare
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/

prison break fan

You sound very enterprising! Good luck. pbf.