here we go again.....

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

here we go again.....

Hubby has not been paid for 3 months.He carried on working as the guy has done this before and he always pays in the end but this time it is longer and once you are owed if you go you wonder if you will ever get the money.The building trade sucks really.He has work with someone else now but it took 3 weeks to get that(3 weeks at home) and the pay is alot lower.It will take ages for us to recover.We have been living off his tax rebate for over 2 months eeking it out and now it has gone.I am trying not to be too downhearted as I refuse to let that man ruin our home life.Before he went off to work on Monday we sorted out some scrap metal to sell,some bits and pieces in the workshop we don't need and some toys and clothes outgrown and I have been ebaying and put stuff in adtrader so I Have £97 in the pot so far for food and fuel .When going through the filing cabinet I found and old bank book of Hubbys,with very little in it but very old,when we had it made up today it had £187 in it!!(only a fraction of what we need)but very welcome nevertheless.We cut 3 pallets up for the woodburners.I have been bulk cooking today with our produce and I collected firewood from the woods to go with the palletwood.It is what I usually do but it is usually because I want to not because I have to and it feels different maybe now I am home alone again I have too much thinking/worrying time.Times are hard for everyone but for the last 2 and a half years it has become the norm for us,we just get over one stretch of no pay and another one comes along am I alone??I know we would be worse off if we weren't so selfsufficient in produce and wood etc but I can't help worry about christmas our girls are not spoilt but they only get gifts in december and January as their birthdays are then too aswell as christmas.I refuse to get into debt.I am trying to book my usual craft fayres I do every november/december but I have noticed what I make is getting less and less each year so fingers crossed for this year.
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: here we go again.....

I'm really sorry to hear this,many (in fact most) of my friends are in the building industry in one way or another,and though it's no comfort to you,they all seem to be experiencing a similar situation.I cant stand people who don't pay promptly,if they want credit,they should go to a bank,and not ponce off someone who works for a living.

I'm sure that like me this will go against the grain,but there are MANY people drawing benefits (deserved) that are probably a whole lot better off than you.

Like most S\Employed people I reckon I can always get by,but when the Dodoes really hits the fan,it may be worth clawing back a bit of that tax you've been paying out for years on end (even if you don't pay income tax,there's 20% on all non food items,and don't get me started on fuel tax).

At least think about it. Hope things turn round soon for you,and the bloke coughs up what he owes,and shortly after goes down with an unpleasant and embarrasing illness (like dysentry). Best Wishes.

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

I know the feeling. When dealing with the self-employed it's amazing how many companies decide that they can over-rule the 30-day terms agreed at the start of the contract with their standard end-of-the-month-plus-sixty. I will get paid next week for a job I should have been paid for in August, I'm still waiting payment for work I should have been paid for in July.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have every sympathy with you Clare and your opinion of the building industry. I was employed mainly in restoration for a little over 30 years until last year when I was made redundant. I managed to get another job but the wages were less, plus I had to supply my own vehical and power tools. That job finished the same as the previous one and I was made redundant again.I'm still looking at the moment but I'm finding many jobs are short term contracts and offer rates even lower. I'm seeing rates quoted for self employed several pounds per hour lower than what I was on directly employed.
On many sites and forums the feeling is that large numbers of eastern european workers are the cause of lowered rates . Whether this is true or not I'm not really going to argue about it although it can't help, but I for one am seeking to do something outside the building industry although being in my late fourties this probably counts against me. I'm lucky in some respects in that we don't have any debts and both my wife and I are adaptable. I'm going to try and grow more food to offset our lowered income and will probably end up working for myself in the long term.

Pete

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Clare I'm so sorry your family is in this position right now! It's rough the whole world over--seems like half the people I know are in your position. I was talking with my neighbor "Leah", and she says it seems like only yesterday (last Christmas) they were trying to scrape together some holiday happiness for their family, and now things haven't gotten any better, so once again it looks like the oldest daughter will once again have to provide for the younger children (she is working as a waitress).

My husband's job is once again talking layoffs,...so like you, our normal frugality has kicked into overdrive. It's been like this the past few years, so DH has taken to buying DD's Christmas in the summer, and we hide what small gifts we buy her in the very top of my mother's closet---at her house.

How old are your girls? You seem very resourceful, but maybe someone on here might have some ideas you hadn't thought of?

That determination of yours not to have it affect your home life is an excellent resource in and of itself! I hope things look brighter for you soon!!
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Oh Clare, I am sorry to hear that things aren't going well, but I really admire your resolve and determination. You're a great role model for your children.

Zoe

Milims

First of all big hugs to you all :grouphug: Despite your major set back you seem to be dealing with it in a very positive and practical manner - well done to you. You are proving that you have the skills and resources to survive, something that many people nowadays simply don't have. You are a great role model to you children :mrgreen: Maybe if the guy your husband has worked for knew about your situation it would shame him into paying up! I wish you all the best in this hard time and hope you come thru it very soon. BTW - are you claiming all the tax credits you are entitled to?
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks everyone for your support just reading I am not alone really helps.Hubby has his own van and tools and the new work(still self employed but a bigger company)although lower wages even asked him if he had liability insurance!!But a job is a job.The guy he was working for knows how it is for us because Hubby's gran died last week and when no funds had gone into the bank again , he was with his family(the day she died),he asked me to call.I left a very polite message explaining why Gavin was with his family, saying how awful things were and could he please pay something into our account.Still nothing 10 days on just a text saying sorry about your bereavement and I have to sort things out,the usual fob off.I hope I am a good role model for the girls who are 10 and 6.It is getting harder as I keep having to say no we can't do that or have that, mainly to the little one.All non essential journeys are cancelled and there is alot of killing two birds with one stone when it comes to journeys.I think I am claiming all the tax credits but with his wages lower probably not but we never know what the years salary is until the tax return is done.I am loathed to guess in case I underestimate and we have to pay back.I have an appointment at the CAB tomorrow about getting the wages so we'll see.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

A few years ago, we suddenly lost two big jobs (the wizard did sub contracting work from our workshop at home), the work was just pulled from the company after being assured by the American crowd who took over a few months before that all was safe, this was not the case. Anyway, we could not pay our mortgage so we thought get a mortgage holiday that the Halifax kept advertising. Everything was ok until the person asked him the reason for the three month holiday and of course he answered truthfully because I am in the shit and can't pay the mortgage, the woman said we can only give the holiday for things like home improvements, a new car or a holiday. I phoned back a little bit later and when asked the question said oh we thought we would be a bit frivilous and put in a new kitchen and maybe go for a mini break holiday which was then approved over the phone. We were self employed so we don't think we could get any benefits. This must be a very worrying time for you all, I wish you luck and hope everything comes right for you, keep your chins up Lyn

happyhippy

Really sorry to hear you are struggling so much right now.Sounds like you are doing everything you can to conserve the money you do have.Is it possible for your OH to find a different line of work just to keep things ticking over?Can he join an agency?Is it possible for you to work evenings?Care type homes often need bank staff(can work shifts you choose)so that could be an option and your OH could look after the kids?Whatever happens sometimes it helps to realise that any situation you're in,is only temporary.Good luck and best wishes.

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

Well Hubby is in his 3rd week of work now.He gets paid every week it's a real novelty.So far we have managed not to touch his wages as we need them for Novembers bills.It is getting harder but will be worth it.He's been coming home with off-cuts of wood for the burner every other night so we are warm.I have been a bit worried that we have been working so much on the house lately and with no spare cash or time the girls have been a bit neglected.We tried to spend time with the girls at the weekend(still incorperating workish).We had a bonfire and cooked jacket spuds for tea in the ashes,the girls loved that.We all walked the dog in the woods next to the house and collected conkers and had a conker match(Daddy won).The kettle was on the woodburner ready for filling hot water bottles or a cuppa and we toasted crumpets in front of the open burner.I will be starting on the Christmas card making soon with the girls and we will carve a pumpkin for halloween,I don't like trick or treating so I usually organise apple bobbing,eat the marshmallow off the string and pin the spider on the web and do a little sweety treat bag for them then we have sticky pumpkin muffins after tea.I do think children are easy to please but any other ideas would be welcome if anyone has any I haven't thought of??
Thanks
Clare

oldjerry

It's good to hear things are slowly turning round for you all.Sounds like your kids have a pretty good time.Have you made toffee apples,not difficult,and you can sell them if they turn out OK.

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

Great idea thanks,do you have a recipe please? Thanks Clare

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Ooh and sticky pumpkin muffin recipe please! Sounds like something Harry Potter would approve of. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

Don't waste the seeds! I love roasted pumpkin seeds with Worcestershire sauce. :)