blackberry vodka

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
berry
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 50.3706° N
longitude: 4.1397° W

blackberry vodka

how long do you usually leave this to do its "thing"? so far its tasting pretty damn good and its only been 3 weeks-ish.

im tempted to strain it and chuck another handful of b'berries in to intensify the flavour of it. any thoughts?

and will it work with gin too? not willing to waste a litre of gin if its going to taste rubbish!

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: blackberry vodka

I would think it's done, the raspberry version was given as a recipe on the Guardian website a few days ago and that only calls for two weeks.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

berry
Tom Good
Tom Good

thanks, ill get it bottled up tomorrow then. i know sloe gin takes much longer and recipes ive seen for blackberry said to leave it for 3 mths! seems a bit long considering how good the colour is and the taste.

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

There's little harm in leaving it longer, but if the flavour is already what you want you can stop it now. Or if you want to add more blackberries, go ahead :)

Have you sweetened it?

berry
Tom Good
Tom Good

yes, i sweetened it. only half the amount of sugar recommended in the recipe. it was 1lb to every 1lb of fruit! i thought that was too sweet.

the flavour is good im just trying to push for a stronger blackberry taste. i can taste it but want a little more. if that makes sense? i added another handful of berries. will see how it goes :)

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Many recipes are meant as a guide, I know when I write them its with the hope that people adapt them. Older recipes certainly have too much sugar in them you'd think they were sponsered by tate and lyle or something.

Quite agree with the above if it tastes nice now why wait?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

berry
Tom Good
Tom Good

i added an extra handful of surplus berries. now tastes very blackberry like! just as id hoped. bottle and labeled. have started on another one and have also tried the raspberry vodka too. found a rasp bush while walking in the woods!

now its just starting more sloe gin and try the chocolate and espresso vodka recipe ive been given. might adjust to do a chocolate and mint version too?

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Andy's mint liqueur/creme de menthe recipe is very good.. I've made it with chocolate mint, but don't expect it to be green whatever mint you use.

(the mint cordial recipe can be improved by tripling the mint and halving the sugar)

berry
Tom Good
Tom Good

ah, ill have a look for that. all these bottles are for xmas celebrating. except the choc vodka. thats to try out and see if it works and if it tastes good ill make another much closer to when i need it as it has cream in it.

i think ill try the mint one but do a smaller bottle otherwise ill be completely sozzled through december!

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

I had a Swedish boss years ago who used to make garlic vodka to go with his home-made gravad lax. It was... different. Something you'd want your partner to drink at the same time.