A bit of a rant...

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

A bit of a rant...

... about cyclists! Oh yes, and me being one myself.

Just now, I had the pleasure of following two cyclists for about 5 minutes, who were cycling two abreast along our rather narrow road - just wide enough for two cars to pass carefully, if they slow down. They clearly knew I was behind them (my car is not the most silent), but did not budge to let me pass safely (safely for them!) for a long time.

What are they trying to achieve with this behaviour? Make me mad at them? Try to force me to pass them anyway, so they can then rant on about those bloody car drivers who risk the cyclists' lives because they are in a hurry? Or at least make me honk my horn at them, so they can complain about the noise which is far too loud for folk who's hearing is not impaired by being encased in metal box?

Most other drivers would have done either of the above - but I have too often been in that kind of situation myself to behave as badly as that.

And now my question: What's the highway code for cyclists in this country? In Germany, it is illegal for cyclists to ride two abreast, unless you are in a group of more than 15, in which case the length of the row of cyclists would endanger the rest of the traffic more than the width of two cyclists next to each other. (Cars have to keep at least one metre distance between the outermost point of the bike/cyclist and the car when overtaking.)
Apart from that, I'm sure there's something that says that even as a cyclist you have a duty NOT to endanger other traffic, and forcing them to crawl along (they weren't even cycling fast, they were dawdling) is a kind of danger. Danger to the drivers' blood pressure if nothing else... :mrgreen:

So what's the legal situation? I've often thought - could I at least point out to these kind of cyclists that what they are doing is not only dangerous and impolite, but also illegal? Of course, if it isn't illegal, I'd better keep my big mouth shut, and seethe away quietly...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Martin

no probs, cyclists are in-season at the moment! - particularly those with the plastic growths on their self-righteous heads, and spandex displaying their cellulite! 8)
My suggestion, get a Merc with a very powerful air horn - if the horn don't shift 'em, you've got a fore sight! :wink:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

glenniedragon

The Highway code does provide rules for cyclists...here's the most apt bit...

"You should

*keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
*keep both feet on the pedals
not ride more than two abreast
*ride in single file on narrow or busy roads
*not ride close behind another vehicle
*not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain
*be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example by ringing your bell. "

So 2 abreast is OK on larger roads but they were out of order on your narrow road Ina.
Feel justified in your rant!

kind thoughts
Deb

cir3ngirl
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Last night I was a cyclist and found need to let two teenagers what twits they were walking out in front of my bike and that I know 3 year olds with more brains.

:flower: Davina

Shirley

I HATE it when that happens Ina.... they most certainly shouldn't cycle two abreast on your road... have they no brains??... but... even if it isn't illegal it is certainly dangerous.

I fear that if you did challenge them about their actions they would likely retalliate in some excessively vocal way at the least... they surely must know what they are doing is irresponsible. I guess some get a kick out of holding up the traffic.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Millymollymandy

We get this a lot in France. They never move over and reckon they own the road. Bloody road hogging cyclists, I hate them.

P.S. This is not aimed at the general public who ride bikes - though not that many of them here. It's the lycra, 'let's pretend we are in the Tour de France' brigade.

:angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

ina

Thanks for all your moral support...

Yeah, I'm not too keen on these lycra-show-offs either! Oh well, I suppose if you are a very keen cyclist, and have the body to go with that :shock: , you might as well wear lycra (is it really that comfy???)... But I often get the impression that the lycra seems to make them feel they are something better than the rest of the travelling public!

Davina, pedestrians can be just as much of a pest, of course. And some of them, who'd never walk out in front of a motorised vehicle, don't hesitate to do so in front of cycles - as if that wasn't just as dangerous, especially for the cyclist!
Ina

Shirley

Ina... apparently the blokes even have some sort of 'enhancement' in their shorts :oops:

For a short time I went out with a cyclist... oh very fit for sure but with such a high opinion of himself it was unreal. Ummm that's not how I got to know about the enhancement :mrgreen:
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

ina

Shirlz2005 wrote:Ina... apparently the blokes even have some sort of 'enhancement' in their shorts :oops:
Ah, now I understand :lol:

No wonder they feel so strong... I don't know, I always managed to cycle in ordinary jeans. On really hot days in cut-off jeans (showing off my footballer calves :mrgreen: )
Ina

hedgewizard

Ina, alter the angle of your windscreen squirty nozzle to throw all the water out to the left, and give 'em a blast!

Shirley

ROFLMAO Hedgie... that's naughty :mrgreen:
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is no need for selfish driving/cycling on either side. I have never driven so don't really know what it is like from the point of view of the driver. I do let drivers past whenever I can, I would much rather have something that essentially could kill me in front of me driving away than behind me, surely this is just common sense. Obviously something lacking in your cyclist Ina.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

circlecross

Cyclists (and road users in general) should be considerate - cyclists seem to get such bad press, and are so vulnerable compared to a car, that it makes sense for their own lives to not be idiotic.
Just as I am fed up with drivers cutting me up when carrying my little boy on the back of the bike (we both have plastic growths on our heads, but it wouldn't be enough under a car), I can't bear cyclists who whizz through red lights, don't move over when appropriate and especially in london, zoom around as if they had right of way (seemed to be men more ofyten, sorry fellas) on the cycle lanes, whichever side they occupied. I think cyclists get a chip because cars cut them up, then cars get annoyed when cyclists rebel.
Mind you, cars in London cut everyone up - my dh used to do the Friday night skate, and a car driving close to the skaters, and hooting its horn suddenly was attacked by about 200 skaters banging on it!
(I'm not in London anymore - but the driving seems as maniacal in the sticks!)
Susan
"yum, yum, piggy's bum!"

http://www.myspace.com/circlecross_73

Martin

back in the dark ages of my youth, cyclists "knew their place" - it was on the road, a regulation 15" from the kerb, you kept a close eye on what was going on, and before turning right you turned and looked over your shoulder, then made a clear "I'm going to turn right" hand signal! - apparently these plastic growths confer immortality, as the modern "cyclist" doesn't find road observation at all necessary, and will happily turn right across your bows, and then grizzle when you have to stand on the brakes and lean on the horn!!!!! :roll:
If you were caught riding on the pavement you were given a right rollicking by Mr Plod! - and last but not least, ultimate proof of the utter brainless idiocy of these lycra clad morons - their "bikes" all knobbly tyres and awkward foreign gears AND NO BL***Y MUDGUARDS!!!!!!! :geek: - personally, if I take to two wheels, it will be on something with a preventative against an icy colonic! 8)
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

hedgewizard

Actually I think this *might* have been one cyclist being protective of another. In narrowish lanes sometimes a competent cyclist will come out to "shield" someone he thinks might wobble or swerve.