How do I set up a milking machine?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
dudley
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

How do I set up a milking machine?

Hand milked for as long as I can remember but never machine milked, but now got an old fullwood bucket Pulsator and 2 place goat clusters and cups.
Came with Alfa Lavel pump and motor which runs ok, however all rubber hoses are perished and not connected. I know nothing about machine milking, so is my equipment complete once hoses replaced and where can I get instructions on setting up and correct use please. Will try and upload photos.

dudley

Re: How do I set up a milking machine?

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

I've used one of these,but ashamed to say,I cant remember how it worked(it was 20 yrs ago).We always handmilked even when there were 8 in milk.However,Fulwood are still around and have distributors around(one of them is buying this place,eventually) so they should be you're first stop.Im surprised no one in your local goatkeepers group uses one,anyhow good luck with it.

dudley

oldjerry wrote:I've used one of these,but ashamed to say,I cant remember how it worked(it was 20 yrs ago).We always handmilked even when there were 8 in milk.However,Fulwood are still around and have distributors around(one of them is buying this place,eventually) so they should be you're first stop.Im surprised no one in your local goatkeepers group uses one,anyhow good luck with it.
Hi "oldjerry". Thanks for your reply, I have been on the Fullwood site but they only appear to sell tube by the 20m. I only want 3m of each. We milk 5 by hand now, and it will be 11 next year and were both in full time work. We are not selling milk yet (any excess goes to the pigs) but plan to start selling soon thus the herd expansion and the machine.
Thanks again.

oldjerry

Why not give these guys a bell.......milkingmachines.co.uk on 01983 532667, and see what they suggest,if they're as good as they think they are,they should at least know someone who can look at what you've got and tell you what goes where,etc(and you can skype them).
Interesting expansion plans,if sold green(unpastuerised),the milk can be geuinely profitable,one of you might not have to go out work! Usual H&S stuff,but if you talk to Trading Standards first,we found them really helpfull and encouraging.Best Wishes.

oldjerry

How the hell did that happen?!...it's not just milking machines I can't work!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Don't worry OJ - all fixed. :iconbiggrin:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

dudley

oldjerry wrote:How the hell did that happen?!...it's not just milking machines I can't work!
LOL. Thanks OJ

Sorry I didnt get back straight away, been busy.
I will call milkingmachines.co.uk tomorrow and see if they can help.
There is a company literally walking distance from my farm (goat nutrition) who sell selfsufficiency products. They were able to supply me with all the pipes,and replacement cup liners, so now I just need advice on set up and use, they were vague on that side of things as they were basically sell ready made portable machines but the theory would be the same I would think, and they were rushed off their feet.
Since looking at youtube videos I am now thinking I may have to fit into my set up, an air accumulater betweeen the pump and the pulsator. My pulsator is on the lid of the milk bucket.
And i should need a vacumm gague too I expect.
Not just as simple as buy new tube and liners I now thinks :?
Hopefully Milkingmachines.co.uk will help.

Thanks again. Steve.