how to take cuttings? how to transplant established plants?!

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

how to take cuttings? how to transplant established plants?!

I am moving in august to aplace with one growing border and the rest of the garden is paved but I intend to have a hotch potch of various planters.
there are some well lovedplants I want to take with me, and am considering starting cuttings / transplants now.

first:
rhubarb. 3 years old and well established. will be put into our new border. I understand I'll nee to ignore i for a year, but can I split the crown and will it survive?

second: loganberries. a much loved fruit in my family. will be planter based for ease of control. should I take and establish cuttings now ot take them right when we move?

third: oregano. I have no idea how to treat this, I'd love to take it with me but am aware it could be hard.

finally I have lemon mint which will be transferred the same was I got it, that is take some stalks with roots on, plant wherever and enjoy surprise the next spring.
my ramsons will be moved the same way. originally west country, posted to me, planted, nothing happened for the first year but the second I had a fragrant and delicious carpet!

thanks for any advice.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: how to take cuttings? how to transplant established plan

Your rhubarb will be nearly finished now so I can't see any reason not to split it. And your oregano should just dig up and sit in a pot quite happily.

The problem might be the loganberry as it will just be getting ready to fruit at the time when you want to move it - I think :lol: So it might be better to dig that up now, if it hasn't set fruit yet, although I don't think it would kill the plant even if it has. Pot it up and be prepared to lose the fruit this year.

Good luck with the move - I hope this house won't be mouldy! :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

wulf

I would be inclined to wait with the rhubarb. Unless we have a blazing hot summer and the ground turns to concrete, it should be easy enough to lift the root shortly before you move. Stick it in the ground with plenty of compost (or, better yet, rotted manure) and keep it watered and it should thrive; you might even be able to harvest it gently next year.

With the loganberries (presumably more than one cane), I might try striking a few cuttings now and then some more shortly before you move.

That would cover my general rules of thumb - plants which require a lot of disruption to transplant get left to the last minute; ones that are more prolific get the insurance of several sets of cuttings. In a carefully controlled setting, you probably get the best results by following the rules. In real life, there is a bit more luck involved so weight things in your favour by trying on more than one occasion.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

thanks peeps!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!