Catch crayfish

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
muddy boots
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Catch crayfish

i am going cray fishing as soon as this horrid weather clears up has any one got a good recipe for them i would like to use them in a starter for a wild food dinner party i am giving

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Catch crayfish

Hi mb - I gave you your own thread for this. Hopefully more folks will see it and respond. Other than that I can't help, I'm afraid. :iconbiggrin:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

gregorach
A selfsufficientish Regular

Where are you? If you're in the UK, there are a number of legal considerations involved - the native White-clawed crayfish is protected, and the Signal crayfish is an invasive species. Precisely what restrictions apply vary according to location, so you should contact the Environment Agency (in England) or SEPA (in Scotland) for details.
Cheers

Dunc

gdb
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

gregorach wrote:Where are you? If you're in the UK, there are a number of legal considerations involved - the native White-clawed crayfish is protected, and the Signal crayfish is an invasive species. Precisely what restrictions apply vary according to location, so you should contact the Environment Agency (in England) or SEPA (in Scotland) for details.
Agree with that. I've just posted the same sort of advice on another thread....
http://www.geoffbunn.com geoff bunn art and artist

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

And so have I.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

muddy boots
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

thank you both for your advice i have got in touch with the fisheries officer for the midlands regarding catching them without a trap i am still waiting for a return call on this matter as no one seems to know i will post there reply if it will be of any use to others

muddy boots
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

thank you all once again you where right i do need a licence to take crayfish from a water even though i am not trapping them applied for one now so wont be a problem once it arrives

oldjerry

Don't forget,if you catch any:1)You must return the native species.

2)You must NOT return the signals(by law).

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 56 degrees North
longitude: 2 degrees West

What are signals?

Is it either the male or female? How do you tell?

oldjerry

Signal crayfish are a non native species that are spreading rapidly through UK watercourses.They are bigger and more voracious than the native species.As such they are a menace,and the native species(which is apparently being seriously damaged through disease carried by the signals to which they have no resistance)is seriously threatened as are other native stream species.

Basically think Cane Toads in Aus and ,unless I've got it all wrong,that's about it.

matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

I wanted to catch crayfish until I found out all the legal stuff. Here in Dorset I was told by the powers that be that I would have to have he permission of the landowner and that once I had that and the EA had checked it out I could then apply for a licence.Needless to say I didnt bother!!
It seems a shame when there is such an invasion of the signal crayfish around here in the local rivers. I was also told that I would have to catch upwards of a 100 a day to make a differnece. This was a few years ago so maybe I will try again!