Chickens breaking eggs

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

Re: Chickens breaking eggs

Actually Zoe, since boiled eggs are usually served at breakfast I would willingly take the risk! :wink:
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

bill1953 wrote:Actually Zoe, since boiled eggs are usually served at breakfast I would willingly take the risk! :wink:
Gosh, wouldn't you have to get up extremely early in the morning to travel all the way from Ireland to Swindon for breakfast? :wink:

Zoe

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

Zoe, if it's ok with yourself, I would arrive the night before! :wink:
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

Thomzo

You'd have to talk very nicely to the cats to see if they would share their basket with you. At least you'd be nice and warm, if a little furry :wink:

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

I am a pussy person. I share a bed with my cat most nites so not a problem :wink:

Thomzo

Ah well, I was rather hoping for some smutty 'pussy' jokes but I have to say, respect, for keeping it so clean!

Erm, after hearing about all your close shaves, I think I'm going to withdraw my invitation this time, don't want to risk the house burning down. Sorry.

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ha Ha! Don't blame you Zoe! I once started chatting to a man sitting by me on a plane and asked what he did for a living? When he said he was a rock singer the conversation stopped .Planes and musicians particularly rock singers do not bode well!

Thomzo

The last stranger that I got chatting to on a plane was Martin Johnson (the rugby player). I didn't recognise him :oops:

Zoe

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

Once I was flying from the Isle of Man and we had to wait for a VIP. It was Norman Wisdom. He boarded with his son and another man. He went to sit in the empty seat by me, gave one of his Norman looks and sat elsewhere! In 1978 I chatted to a nice man in a pub in Godalming, Surrey. When he left I remarked that he looked like an older Peter Sellers. Then the landlord told me it was he. Met him a few times after.

Thomzo

Just bumping this thread as I've had a success. :cheers:

My chooks haven't been laying for a couple of months. I was at the point of resorting to chicken soup and restocking but decided to give it one last go. I filled three empty shells with cement and placed them in deep bedding in the nesting box. It did the trick and I've had an egg a day since. They've obviously been trying to eat the cement eggs so I'll keep going with them for now.

Zoe

alanw0
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Cheers Zoe, glad to hear of your success.

Nothing else has worked so far so I'll give it a go.

sda
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

For how long can the eggs (for human consumption) be safely left in the nest before collection, and then, do they have to be refrigerated or does that depend on how long they've been left in the nest?

Thomzo

Chicken eggs have a 28 day shelf life and they don't need to be kept in the fridge. But it's best to pick them up at least daily as they are more likely to get broken if left in the nest. That's a sure way to encourage the chickens to eat them.

Zoe

greenishfingers
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hi,I had this problem too,so I bought a couple of rubber eggs from Wilkinsons,rubbed a bit of mustard on them and it seems to have worked,no more broken eggs !
For us to lose contact with the soil results in real unease and maladjustment...to recapture it affords profound joy and inward comfort. Sam Ogden