Maraschino Cherry Juice,..er,..um,...syrup?

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Maraschino Cherry Juice,..er,..um,...syrup?

Does anyone have a way to use up that vile sticky red stuff left in the jar after I've made MustardseedPapa a pineapple-upside-down cake? There's only about half a cup of it, and it's sitting in my fridge daring me to find a way to use it.

Cocktails are not an option, as we don't drink. It seems a shame to mess up good fruit juice by mixing it that way. Any thoughts?
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Maraschino Cherry Juice,..er,..um,...syrup?

Yes that was rather my thought too---but I do love a challege!
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

It is a bit lurid but apart from the colour it's only sugar syrup, with a bit of the cherry flavour. Presumably your OH likes the cherries so couldn't you use it where you might use maple syrup, or similar. It'd make a cake a fun colour.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Green Aura wrote:It is a bit lurid but apart from the colour it's only sugar syrup, with a bit of the cherry flavour. Presumably your OH likes the cherries so couldn't you use it where you might use maple syrup, or similar. It'd make a cake a fun colour.
Yes I tried that once a long time ago for some of the liquid in the cake, and it was an interesting color,...but it really threw the flavor off. I'm thinking chucking it is the best option,...I wonder if candied cherries would satisfy him? Because they don't come in syrup, and I could use those in lots of things.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can you stick it in the syrup you use for the upside down cake?

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yes, as per above, I tried it once and it kind-of threw off the entire flavor of the cake,...DH not too excited about it but he made the effort and ate it.

I have chucked the syrup, but the jar will make the perfect size for home-made salad dressing! Mmmmm.

Thanks very much for the replies!