Lemon hooch recipe ?

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Lemon hooch recipe ?

Hahahaha

Sadly it wasnt ready, still tasted of yeast, so duly brought it home and it is now sitting in a plastic bottle with lid loose.

Also brought another load of lemons so will be starting another batch soon, ready for summer holidays I hope....
Sarah :flower:

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

So two or three weeks on it still tastes yeasty. Do I just need to wait it out, or have I done something wrong? Any suggestions gratefully received as starting the next batch today.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Usually, I'd say that you'd left it on the yeast deposit for too long before racking - but that can't possibly be the reason for yours, as it's far too young. So if it tastes yeasty, there's still yeast in suspension. That could be either because it's actually still working slowly (which I doubt) or that it's too warm and thermal currents are keeping the yeast in suspension. Try getting it as cool as you can (short of freezing it) for a day or two and then rack it. It would help if you put in a Campden Tablet before you did that, but I'm not sure of your feelings on that.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ok, thanks, it can be strained off, there is a little sediment, and put in the fridge for a few days.

Thanks for the input.

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Wowza, this stuff is STRONG !

Still slightly odd taste [only for first few sips] small glass and I have got a bit of a buzz on. Happy to say another batch is bubbling away nicely

Catty
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
longitude: 0

Just a thought - if the yeast taste is persistant try brewers' yeast next time, as it's less dominant.
Recommend my method - make 2 lots, drink one and hide the other someplace so it matures for at least a year. Some very nice wines found that way but sometimes I'm not sure what they were, as the labels become unreadable after the first five or six years!

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just got home from Farmer Phils' Festival, finished off a lot of this stuff, it was awesome, strong ish and very giggle inducing. Will be making another batch or 3 very soon

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

I know it's a very old thread but just to advise newcomers this is really easy and tasty and I have just started another batch.
Mike did you actually make this? if so how long did you leave it after bottling / racking off before you drank it.
thanks
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, never made this one.

I'm a teetotaller - didn't you know?

Mike

But seriously - I would have thought it would be one of those things which would be ready to drink as soon as you bottle it. I'd ask Sarah, but he's a changed man ever since he made his first batch.

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 56 degrees North
longitude: 2 degrees West

I'm planning to try this out and wanted to post on it so I can easily find it in 'view my posts!' :iconbiggrin:

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

You wont be dissapointed ! I am going to start another batch soon for the summer. It is easy to drink and cheap to make, few lemons, sugar and yeast, and good for a giggle. Getting requests here !

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

look up 'skeeter pee' on google - good lemon hooch recipie
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

As it appears to be so nice, it may be worthwhile making it in gallon quantities - so simply muliply everything by three. So ...

600ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
900g sugar
Zest of 9 lemons
Water to make up to 4.5l (one gallon)

... and then follow Sarah's recipe from earlier in the thread (although I'd change that pinch of yeast to a level teaspoonful).

Mike

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mike ... Would I be unfaithful, come on, I have two separate ages /gallons of tea bag wine and now that I know to use less tea bags and not glug it when I transfer to the bottles.... Life is fab. :hugish:

But I have to say I only do the four types the tea bag, the Alcoholic ginger beer, Lemon Hooch and the Elderflower.
I really do consider myself to be "Challenged" some are just too hard for me to try. Even when people are saying about buying fruit juices I fear I will buy the wrong one and if people even flag up fresh fruit I baulk. The only one I have loads of success with is Elderflower both champagne and cordial.
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is that all? :iconbiggrin:

If you never made any other wines in your life, you should still count that as a huge success. What's the point in making something if you're not going to enjoy the process?

Having said that, I'd certainly have a go at elderberry, if you can bring yourself to do it. Elderberry wine can be as good as any red grape wine you can find - well worth a try (and you obviously already know where the elders are).

You're further ahead than most - don't flog yourself :wave:

Mike