washing machine help needed

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

washing machine help needed

my w/machine has just died, and I still don´t know if it is fixable or not, and maybe not worth doing anyway.

so................

what real actual difference do the gradings, A+ , A++, A+++ make in terms of energy savings?

I have /had a machine with 1400 rpm spin speed, but having priced up a couple, these are a LOT more than 1200rpm, and apparently so 1 shop said, these (1400) aren´t recommended as they wear out quicker.

so from your experiences, what can you recommend? how dry does 1000rpm, or 1200, get the washing?

any brands / models to avoid?

If I do buy, I´ll definitely get a 7kg or 8kg machine this time. ( have seen a 10kg, but that would be a bit OTT, for 1 person, and price wise too!

happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: washing machine help needed

Hi,firstly I noticed you're posting from Spain?Not sure what prices are like over there for washing machines,but here in the UK,they can be quite reasonable I've found!As far as the spin cycle goes,I had a cheaper brand washing machine that was 1400 spin and it lasted over 10 years without ANY problems.The only reason we brought a new one was,we had moved around alot in that 10 years and always had the washing machine set up in outhouses.Consequently the front of it became rusted.Otherwise it was absolutely fine.We brought another 1400 spin machine 4 years ago and (touch wood)havent had any issues with it.Both machines were in the cheaper price bracket.I've seen w/machines here for under £200 which is very reasonable.

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

unfortunately price wise, they are relatively expensive here! or at least in my area, maybe if I could get to a big city, I might find cheaper!

about best value one so far ( not on special offer) was 360 euros, , samsung 8 kg, 1000 rpm.......

there was a good deal, but ends today, on a 1200 rpm 8kg one. ( and a free vacuum cleaner as a prezzie too)

just NOT ready to buy just yet.......... havent got the cash just yet, and dont want to rush into anything. meantime, I can just handwash , and beg a few favours for bigger items from the neighbours!

what I really need to know form ishers, is what makes /models they would ( or not) recommend!

and waht differencethere really is in energy savings between the diff. ratings if any techy people know!

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have a 9-year-old Hotpoint Ultima which was second hand when we got it and still going strong. Energy rating is AAA. It automatically detects if there's half a load in there and washes accordingly. It's got a ton of features I like, like child lock so they can't alter the programme, and you can choose how dirty you're laundry is so I've yet to have to wash anything a second time because the stains haven't come out.

I must admit I ignore energy ratings. The best energy rating is useless if the thing is going to be ready for the scrapheap just as the warranty runs out or need constant repairs. That's why I buy second hand mostly. The energy rating doesn't take into account the country of origin and environmental impact of production. The washing efficiency test is carried out on *one* setting, 60 degree cotton, which I never use.

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

must admit in some ways the energy ratinmg isnt all that important to me, as I do have "economy 7" type meter, ( actually about 12 hours of cheap electric, and about half price, so do as nuch as I can duringh those hours anyway!, and if they cost that much more being A+++, probably the machine would be for scrap heap anyway before savings on bills, equalled extra cost!

happyhippy

Niknik,My first washing machine was Indesit brand and my present one is Samsung.I think from memory its AAA rating.I always wash on 30c and as there is only two of us in the house,I don't usually have to use it every day.

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Only one alternative point of view from me is, I was told that the spin speed is what destroys most clothes, pulls them out of shape etc. I was advised not to spin anything faster than 900 because it actually presses creases in.
I would have thought that in Spain you only need to get the dripping wetness out of clothes?
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

Paul_C
Tom Good
Tom Good

nik nik. as an engineer can you describe how it isnt working.

maybe able to do a long distance fault find for you. and the insides are pretty basic.

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

Trinder.........

In the height of summer...maybe......., or perhaps if I lived in a warnmer coastal area!

as for the spin speed, well have used mine nearly at 100% at 1400 rpm, and no problems, no mishaping or extra creasing! Only mishap ( recently) when I forgot to reset to a 30º wash, after a really hot one, and lost a new jumper!

Paul.. I think it might be the pump!, it did its wash andshould beep when finished.... anyway, some time later, when I went through, thinking i just hadnt heard it,it was stuck at 03 mins remaining... full of water. I did try the pump setting and some other spin settings and, zilch, nada, zero. I did ( by accident) put it on a wash cycle, and it started filling! at some points it did remind me of a Dalek, asit was beeping and flashing, to warn of a problem!

Somewhere, I do have a Haynes washing machine repair manual, .but can I find it?..... well it isnt exactly the sort of book one keeps handy. It has already had a new pump, ( about 7 yrs ago, and that was very difficult to source here, even though Bosch is a commonly sold model.)
Up until it stopped, it was working fine, no signs of any problems, but then again i dont stay near it, when it´s on!