jar preserving absolutly everything ( in the water bath )

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Re: jar preserving absolutly everything

hi david,

yes you've got it right. high acid food in the water bath and low acid in the pressure canner.
thats what they recomend anyway.
but as i was saying, else where in the world they waterbath veg and iv been hearing in france they water bath meat too.

i am getting through 2-3 jars of water bathed summer veg a week at the moment ( consisting of chopped tomatoes, courgettes, aubergines, carrots, okra, peppers, french beans and parsley, all cooked together in a big pot with just a little water, then jarred up in clean jars and boiled in the water bath for 25 min ) . i use a jar when making meat/veg stews, currys, chilli, bolognase or anything in a tomatoe sauce. i often stick a jar in the blender to make a smooth sauce which is really yummy and good on pasta, plus my daughter is somtimes fussy about eating veg so she cant pick anything out if its blended into a sauce.
the jars are allways used in cooking and thouroughly cooked through before eating. throw away any jars with a broke seal or any that fizz on opening, or if it looks/smells foosty. iv never opened a bad jar yet, however i have had a few bottles of tomaote juice explode on me when i opened them. allways store them in a cool dark place like basement/firdge.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

davidsdesire
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

demi,

that's very interesting....of course, i believe people tend to be FAR too paranoid about food safety.

It's interesting that you do watercan veggies and haven't died yet. :iconbiggrin:

i think i'll do some more research...i love my pressure canner but it takes soooo long to do a batch.

demi

davidsdesire wrote:demi,

that's very interesting....of course, i believe people tend to be FAR too paranoid about food safety.

It's interesting that you do watercan veggies and haven't died yet. :iconbiggrin:

i think i'll do some more research...i love my pressure canner but it takes soooo long to do a batch.

the water bath is dead easy to do and only takes about 25min.

i dont think you'll find anything online advising to do veg in the water bath, but let me know if you do :iconbiggrin:
people here just arn't concerned about botulism at all. is such a rarity its practically non existant. as long as you do everything properly you be fine. no one iv spoke to here has ever heard of anyone dieing from water bathed jars, and they have been doing it like this in this riegon for many generations.

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

davidsdesire
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

demi wrote:

people here just arn't concerned about botulism at all. is such a rarity its practically non existant. as long as you do everything properly you be fine. no one iv spoke to here has ever heard of anyone dieing from water bathed jars, and they have been doing it like this in this riegon for many generations.
that's what i call my 'chocolate dog' theory...everyone tells you DON'T feed chocolate to a dog...it will kill them. Because ONE dog somewhere once upon a time happened to die after it ate chocolate is my theory. I've known lots of dogs who not only ate chocolate and suffered no ill effects but lived long and happy chocolate eating lives.

We sometimes take 'safety' to the unnecessary level of paranoia.

demi

davidsdesire wrote:
demi wrote:

that's what i call my 'chocolate dog' theory...everyone tells you DON'T feed chocolate to a dog...it will kill them. Because ONE dog somewhere once upon a time happened to die after it ate chocolate is my theory. I've known lots of dogs who not only ate chocolate and suffered no ill effects but lived long and happy chocolate eating lives.

We sometimes take 'safety' to the unnecessary level of paranoia.

yes, but chocolate is poisonous to dogs! :lol:

not in small quantities though.

one year my dog ate all my easter eggs and had to get his stomach pumped. i remember i was distraught. about my chocolate, not the dog :lol: i must have been about 7 at the time.

its funny how, for example, millions of people die in car crashes every year but no one is freaking out about getting into a car????

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: jar preserving absolutly everything ( in the water bath

How on earth did chocolate and dogs get into this thread?

For what it's worth, chocolate contains theobromine, which CAN kill dogs. If, that is, said dogs can manage to eat enough of it - and it's an awful lot.

And to make matters worse, an overdose of theobromine can kill a child.

Just how much chocolate can you pile up? Because to get to fatal levels - for dog or child - would take an inordinate amount of carelessness,

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

The Riff-Raff Element

Re: jar preserving absolutly everything ( in the water bath

MKG wrote:How on earth did chocolate and dogs get into this thread?

For what it's worth, chocolate contains theobromine, which CAN kill dogs. If, that is, said dogs can manage to eat enough of it - and it's an awful lot.

And to make matters worse, an overdose of theobromine can kill a child.

Just how much chocolate can you pile up? Because to get to fatal levels - for dog or child - would take an inordinate amount of carelessness,

Mike
My copy of Merck has theobromine having an LD50 for dogs of around 330 mg per kilo body weight and reckons that chocolate has 1400 to 2200 mg per kilo. Take the mid point and call it 1800 mg and a 30kg dog (Labrador sort of size) would need to eat 5.5kg (so one sixth body weight) to be in danger of a better-than-even chance of dying. Humans need about three times the dose.

That's a lot of chocolate. Even for a Labrador.

That said, it says you'd get a sick puppy at far lower intakes, like about one tenth of this.

As for the botulism thing, the science is pretty clear, so it's just a question of whether one is prepared to accept the slight increase in the risk associated with not following the guidelines. People die every year from it - mostly the elderly, the already ill and the young - but then people die in greater numbers from poisoning by one of the multitudinous strains of e.coli. Not a reason to be complacent, perhaps, because if someone did get poisoned one might feel just a little silly (and possibly get into a great deal of trouble), but it is important to keep a sense of perspective.