Gay Marriage

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
sleepyowl
A selfsufficientish Regular

Gay Marriage

This afternoon I'm going on the consultation for gay marriage, giving my support for it, but also to give support for the notion of heterosexual civil partnerships too, Although gay Pagans can get married under their faith, a civil wedding for gay people would mean that the whole of LGBT community can get married if they want to.
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Gay Marriage

Good on ya sleepy.

I really can't understand all this hooha over gay marriage (I can understand the for, not the against stance)- but then it took OH and me 20 years to get round to it so maybe that's because marriage, in general, never loomed large in our thinking.

As for most organised religions, they seem to spend so much time trying to work out reasons not to marry someone and then charge so much for the privilege of doing so that I can't understand why anyone bothers with them (but that also might refer back to my previous point!) :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

cideristhefuture
Tom Good
Tom Good

Good for you,

We let gay couples adopt, so why not let them marry?
:salute:

boboff

I agree that you should be able to have hetro Civil Partnerships.

I am at odds on the marraige thing a bit though, given that a church wedding is in essence a blessing for child rearing, I really can't see the point/need for it as a gay person. The church is a club you choose to join with Faith, you can't insist on joining. I wasn't allowed to marry my Wife in a church, as I had been married before, it was there stupid rules, so up 'em, we got married in a Pub instead!

I am not saying in any way that I don't think that a gay marraige is wrong, it's just that it should only be done in a "church" where they allow it, thats all, and it should not be forced upon the church to alter there beliefs, just as it would not be right to try and alter a gay persons beliefs.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

gregorach

boboff wrote:I am not saying in any way that I don't think that a gay marraige is wrong, it's just that it should only be done in a "church" where they allow it, thats all, and it should not be forced upon the church to alter there beliefs, just as it would not be right to try and alter a gay persons beliefs.
Which is exactly what the current proposals are. Nobody is talking about forcing churches or other religious institutions to marry people that they don't want to, the proposal is just to allow those institutions which do want to to be able do so. The Quakers, the Unitarians, the Wiccans, and a number of liberal synagogues (and probably a few others that I've forgotten) all actively want to be able to marry gay members, and are currently not legally allowed to. I think that's outrageous - it's a fundamental question of religious freedom.
Cheers

Dunc

Bulworthyproject
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I believe that the current proposals are purely for civil marriage. Although Quakers etc.. want to marry gay couples, they still won't be allowed to do so when this goes through. Personally I don't see it as any more right that churches discriminate than anyone else. It is a bit like the segregation of black and white churches that existed and still to an extent exists in the southern states of America. I keep having to look at my watch to check that we are in the 21st century.
https://www.bulworthyproject.org.uk

Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working

Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy

Paul_C
Tom Good
Tom Good

alot of the shouting which is going on around this effective non issue for all but the most out of date batshit mental reactionary numbskull is simply hiding the fact that our political lords, masters and betters (read as tosspots who need to prove they are human) are screwing us over more and more

if 2 people of consenting age love each other then i really dont care what they do, how they choose to do it,

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

In terms of human affection no one has the right to tell consenting adults what they can and cannot do. It's interesting that the pious west is chomping at the bit to sort out Iran because it wants a nuclear programme but conveniently ignores the horrific abuses against women and gay people all of whom regularly are executed for being what they are. Where are the great liberators of the oppressed?
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

oldjerry

I should have thought one of the great things about being gay was that you CANT get married...

...mental...avoid at all cost...

gregorach

Bulworthyproject wrote:I believe that the current proposals are purely for civil marriage. Although Quakers etc.. want to marry gay couples, they still won't be allowed to do so when this goes through.
Ah, this must be one of the Scotland / England differences then. We're definitely talking about allowing religious denominations to carry out gay marriages up here.
Cheers

Dunc

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

all forms of religions are wrong anyway so it doent matter wether you get married in a church or not ( or other religious whatever )

but once you are over 18 you should be allowed by law to marry whoever you want, as long at the other party has mutual feelings, regardless of gender.

once they ban all religion the world will be a better place, you'll see ;)

in scotland you can marry at 16, which i think is way too young. maybe it should increaced to 21, once all the teenage hormones have settled down.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

boboff

Well then we put that to bed then!

My thinking was biased by the Catholic Church being up in Arms, but if they have the choice not to do so, then thats ok, provided that those that do wish to undertake a marraige can.

I think Paul C is a bit bitter, Jerry a bit cynical, and I am off to the Pub!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

sleepyowl

Apparently all protests against are purely academic, civil marriages are going ahead regardless, the forums are about how they are going to implement it, what to do with civil partnerships, the very interesting issue with the transsexual issue which is quite complex as it throws a number of spanners in the works, etc. So no heterosexual civil partnerships or gay religious marriage ceremonies are on the horizon as yet. If you want to have your say visit here https://www.homeofficesurveys.homeoffic ... 48356xhlqw

Susie

gregorach wrote:The Quakers, the Unitarians, the Wiccans, and a number of liberal synagogues (and probably a few others that I've forgotten) all actively want to be able to marry gay members, and are currently not legally allowed to.
I didn't realise this (that there were so many religious groups waiting to be able to perform gay marriages) - I find that very cheering!
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

sleepyowl

It is quite heart warming to see the groups that are supporting this move even the likes of Barnardo's, Relate & the Women's Institute are giving its support to the cause, amongst many other charitable organisations