Old brewing recipes

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
romie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: Old brewing recipes

I love old recipes, I haven't brewed anything for over a years now as I still have over 200 bottles of various bizarre plonk I made 2-3 years ago, if it didn't move quick enough, I fermented it!

Love the idea of the witches brew being a Lancashire lass myself, how is it 3 months on?

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stonehead wrote:I've made some interesting old brews over the years, albeit not the medicinal ones. Nettle ale has quite soporific qualities, as anyone who's come to one of our barbecues will know. Mangel ale is fairly good according to the OH, who's my resident expert on ale. Treacle ale is an acquired taste. Elderberry wine is very good—like a well aged port. Spiced potato wine verges on lethal. Parsnip wine leaves people cross-eyed. Liquorice vodka blackens the tongue and anything more than a couple of small shots has rather dire laxative effects…

But I always find myself going back to scrumpy. Oo-arr.
Treacle stout is voted my no# 1 beer consistantly. Is the nettle ale sopporiffic due to a chemical in the nettles, or the alcohol? As a rampant insomniac i would love to know!
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

Carltonian Man
A selfsufficientish Regular

frozenthunderbolt wrote:Is the nettle ale sopporiffic due to a chemical in the nettles, or the alcohol? As a rampant insomniac i would love to know!
I'm sure there's something in the nettles. Nettle beer on it's own, fairly high alcohol but no ill effects. Glass of NB before dinner (less than half a pint) followed by a couple of glasses of red wine with dinner and result, massive hangover. I almost never get a hangover, even after a use it all up mix of drinks.
Mrs CM and also son of CM too have experienced the same effect on different occasions. One to be wary of, the nettle brew I made used only natural ingredients.

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

Treacle Ale was the first home brew I ever did aged 14. The strangest old recipe I came across was Cock Ale which was 17th century and was ale brewed with the usual bitter ale inredients plus the addition of a cooked cockerel. Never tried it.
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

gregorach

bill1953 wrote:Treacle Ale was the first home brew I ever did aged 14. The strangest old recipe I came across was Cock Ale which was 17th century and was ale brewed with the usual bitter ale inredients plus the addition of a cooked cockerel. Never tried it.
Let me guess, that'll be C J J Berry then... It occasionally crops up on one or other of the brewing fora. People have made it, but nobody likes it. Mind you, the beer was probably all pretty nasty (at least to the modern palate) back in those days.
Cheers

Dunc

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

As far as I've ever been able to see, that cockerel - being protein-based - acted as a fining agent. I hope they took it out pretty quickly. There are similar apocryphal tales about rats in the beer.

YEEEEECCCCCCHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

MKG wrote:As far as I've ever been able to see, that cockerel - being protein-based - acted as a fining agent. I hope they took it out pretty quickly. There are similar apocryphal tales about rats in the beer.

YEEEEECCCCCCHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Mike
I can't remember how long exactly, but I know it was certainly left for days.

Double Yeeeccccchhhhhhh!!!!!!!! :pukeright:
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

irigg
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Theres a recipe here for the Cock ale :shock: :? :shock:
http://home.btconnect.com/ntruman/wine/ ... craft.html

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

This is the original one I found all those years ago...

http://hbd.org/brewery/cm3/recs/13_23.html

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

gregorach wrote:
bill1953 wrote:Treacle Ale was the first home brew I ever did aged 14. The strangest old recipe I came across was Cock Ale which was 17th century and was ale brewed with the usual bitter ale inredients plus the addition of a cooked cockerel. Never tried it.
Let me guess, that'll be C J J Berry then... It occasionally crops up on one or other of the brewing fora. People have made it, but nobody likes it. Mind you, the beer was probably all pretty nasty (at least to the modern palate) back in those days.
Could well have been. I remember it was an old book and Cock Ale was in it two. A lot of the recipies were for brewing huge quantities up to a hogshead of 54 gallons (enough for the weekend). They also talked about how much duty you would have to pay as it was well before the tax English home brew beer laws being repealed in 1968 or 1969.

gregorach

bill1953 wrote:Could well have been. I remember it was an old book and Cock Ale was in it two. A lot of the recipies were for brewing huge quantities up to a hogshead of 54 gallons (enough for the weekend). They also talked about how much duty you would have to pay as it was well before the tax English home brew beer laws being repealed in 1968 or 1969.
Ah - that won't be Berry then, but there's a good chance that it's the source he took it from.

I don't understand this fascination with brewing beer out of weeds, mulch and old bedsteads myself... In my book, beer is made from malt, hops, water, and yeast. The most unconventional I've ever gone was to brew an unhopped ale bittered with Rowan berries. Interesting as an experiment, but not one I'd be in a massive hurry to repeat. The result was entirely drinkable, even quite pleasant - but that was a couple of years ago and I've still got some bottles left. Usually a good beer gets wiped out in a couple of months.
Cheers

Dunc

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

gregorach wrote:
bill1953 wrote:Could well have been. I remember it was an old book and Cock Ale was in it two. A lot of the recipies were for brewing huge quantities up to a hogshead of 54 gallons (enough for the weekend). They also talked about how much duty you would have to pay as it was well before the tax English home brew beer laws being repealed in 1968 or 1969.
Ah - that won't be Berry then, but there's a good chance that it's the source he took it from.

I don't understand this fascination with brewing beer out of weeds, mulch and old bedsteads myself... In my book, beer is made from malt, hops, water, and yeast. The most unconventional I've ever gone was to brew an unhopped ale bittered with Rowan berries. Interesting as an experiment, but not one I'd be in a massive hurry to repeat. The result was entirely drinkable, even quite pleasant - but that was a couple of years ago and I've still got some bottles left. Usually a good beer gets wiped out in a couple of months.
I tried treacle ale because as a 14 yr old I could not buy proper homebrew ingredients from the shops. It was just treacle, more brown sugar and the 'yeast' was provided by floating bread in it as I remember.

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

bill1953 wrote: I tried treacle ale because as a 14 yr old I could not buy proper homebrew ingredients from the shops. It was just treacle, more brown sugar and the 'yeast' was provided by floating bread in it as I remember.
When i use it, i am using a hopped malt extract of reasonable quality and then replacing a part of the sugar that would be added to the kit with the correct amount of treacle (you need to calculate the sugar per weight of treacle). It is very nice after 6 months to mature.
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

frozenthunderbolt wrote:
bill1953 wrote: I tried treacle ale because as a 14 yr old I could not buy proper homebrew ingredients from the shops. It was just treacle, more brown sugar and the 'yeast' was provided by floating bread in it as I remember.
It is very nice after 6 months to mature.
You're very patient :drunken: