Oh do stop moaning

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 44.44361
longitude: 26.14056

Re: Oh do stop moaning

Some people are just born moaning, it's their personality. Like being happy or sad. Take a moaner, give him a million quid, he'll celebrate, but within a month he'll be moaning about how people treat him differently and how the tax man is screwing him for all his worth.

I think my OH takes the biscuit for best moan ever. She came home from work about a month ago in tears, swearing at her boss, flinging things around, thumping the desk. Why? Because she'd received a 15% pay increase. Go figure. I tried pointing out to her that she's lucky to have a job, especially in a recession, lucky not to have had her salary reduced like many, luckier to keep the same salary. Nothing. She was really peeved and moaned endlessly for a couple of days.

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

I'd love to join the happy throng, I'm usually a very positive person - but until life stops throwing (literally) death, destruction and general mayhem at me I think my wrists would be chaffed to bits - giving me more to moan about!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

sleepyowl

Andy you could make one friendship band style from wool. Would posting on my blog be considered moaning? I tend to evaluate more than moan but would that still come under moaning? If it does count as moaning I'm out.
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually, I think the point is that although some people do moan more than others and its to do with how they are wiring their brains. Apparently, just as you can learn things like driving a car or touch typing through repetition so you can learn behaviour. This fits into that camp; by consiously moaning less we are attempting to re-wire our brains which may mean a happier life at the end of the experiment.

Hmm... Sleepy, well I guess its still moaning but it depends if you think it counts or not.

Right, couldn't find a braclet so I have a paper clip on my shirt cuff instead. Experiment started 20.13- 10th March 2012.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Millymollymandy

How many times has it been changed so far? :iconbiggrin: I have been a bit more conscious about moaning since you started this thread but half the time I probably wouldn't notice if I did or not.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Potter's Farm
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

bill1953 wrote:I was going to try this and went out and bought a bracelet but when I got home I found that the catch was faulty and had to take it back and complain.
Ha ha ha!!! :lol:

I try to remember, if I can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

boboff

We should try and get all the BBC journalists and such like to try this, it would be changing everytime they say anything.

I agree it is learnt behaviour and getting worse by the month. The old addage that Englishness is defined by some inability to complain is now firmly utter balls!

But isn't even that opinion a moan? I suppose it is, so not moaning is to let go without comment?

I am out!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Saralexis
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

boboff wrote:I agree it is learnt behaviour and getting worse by the month. The old addage that Englishness is defined by some inability to complain is now firmly utter balls!
I think there is a distinction between a complaint and a moan. Complaining sounds negative but it can be constructive and aimed at reaching a positive outcome... A moan is not only negative but not constructive.

Do you have to stop complaining, or just moaning?

Sarah

oldjerry

I think in most cases a moan is a complaint against yourself or one you don't agree with.

The idea that you should only criticise constructively ie if you have a worthy alternative seems a tad Stalinst to me.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, I was struggling a bit with the moan or complaint. I think for the purposes of this you can just make your own mind up. I'm sure when it comes out you work out what counts. The whole point is just to make you aware of what you do moan about.

For the record I'm on 4.
and...... Twitter

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

4 in one day! Can't moan about that :lol:

Zoe

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, I think I'm down to about one moan a day. It's interesting I'm finding myself looking at things differently, when I'm about to moan about something I'll try and find a positive instead. Is it lifting my mood? Well, actually I'm not sure if its the signs of spring that are doing a better job but I am pretty happy right now.
and...... Twitter

gregorach

boboff wrote:The old addage that Englishness is defined by some inability to complain is now firmly utter balls!
I always thought that referred to an inability to complain to anyone who actually matters... You know, that thing where people tell the waiter that everything's fine and the food is lovely, and then spend the rest of the evening moaning privately about how awful it was? My grandmother's terrible for that.
Andy Hamilton wrote:Apparently, just as you can learn things like driving a car or touch typing through repetition so you can learn behaviour. This fits into that camp; by consiously moaning less we are attempting to re-wire our brains which may mean a happier life at the end of the experiment.
This is the basic principle of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. I've certainly found it very effective.
Cheers

Dunc

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Really one of the most arh ping moments in my life was this.I could ramble on for hours, but it was the right time for me and so must it be for others. it didn't so much change my life but it gave me the tools to start. By the way I still don't get things right :roll:
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

Susie

I've been doing this (not with a bracelet but just trying to notice when I do it), and, I'm truly astonished by how often I moan and about such banal things! O_O. Hopefully it will get less (less moaning, not less banal).

I thought I was reasonably cheery but I seem to be like Kevin the Teenager...
blog
shop
that's it ;-)