Anyone bought a VW T3(T25) Camper?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Anyone bought a VW T3(T25) Camper?

Thanks all, (and doh OJ saw yours after I bought it, otherwise it sounded perfect!)

We went for the Talbot in the end...it is totally hideous on the outside, a bit rusty but *touches wood a lot* hopefully the expensive bits have already been welded (it has had lots of welding). My dad recons most of the stuff under the bonnet *touches wood again* is OK. It has 155k on the clock but has a new clutch.

I am reassured by the mileage thing Pelmetman, and by the fact that yours is the same age. I would never consider buying a G reg car with 155K on the clock, but hopefully the commercial diesl engine is made of solid stuff. I have to say having driven a petrol Astra for so long it feels like driving a tank and my god - the steering circle is gigantic.

And it is MASSIVE inside! Like the Tardis! (will post a photo once I get home). The bed is really comfy and with the hook-up heater, we were actually far too hot in it when we stayed in the Lake District and there was snow on the ground outisde. So so far, so good. It needs a thorough clean and a new carpet, plus nice curtains (current flowery ones are hideous). But for £1,500 it is looking like the best thing we have ever done!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

boboff

Love it!
It's so nice to hear your story.
I hope it is a great buy and you have a great time!

We really are hippy stereotypes!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Millymollymandy

pelmetman wrote:There's plenty of old campers out there............all capable of doing the job.......we have been back a month after spending 6 weeks away traveling down to Spain and back again :mrgreen: ..............Off again in May in our 22 year old camper :cooldude:

Although it bu**ers up our veg garden :scratch: ............So only planting stuff now that will be happy "Home alone" veg :mrgreen:

Look on Ebay or the local rag, there are plenty of old low mileage vans out there...........BUT......don't be scared of the mileage as they are built on commercial vehicle chassis...........I'd be more scared of the smell of damp :shock: ..............as in camper terms that IS expensive........ engine parts are usually cheap with older vehicles..........but try to source a vehicle that's been cherished...................campers tend to do that :iconbiggrin:

Just thought I'd add...............if you can find a Dagenham Dustbin (Ford) like ours the parts are freely available and cheap :pirate:
I did wonder where you guys had got to as I noticed you weren't around! Hope you had a great time. :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

pelmetman

Millymollymandy wrote: I did wonder where you guys had got to as I noticed you weren't around! Hope you had a great time. :iconbiggrin:
Hi Mandy,

Yes we're still travelling a lot, recently got back from Spain, had a great time. Not long till our next trip going to try Northern Spain and possibly Portugal.

House still up for sale but property sales here are very quiet. If not sold this year will rent it out.

These past couple of weeks we've been busy catching up on jobs in the garden and now Dave is laid up with a bad back. This year we've decided not to plant much veg as it seems daft when we're away so much. Probably just things like potatoes, leeks and beans and salad crops, luckly the fruit more or less looks after itself.

Sue
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

becks77

Know nothing about them other than I would love one to bits ...go for it and enjoy,
Best of luck
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

oldjerry

bonniethomas06 wrote:Thanks all, (and doh OJ saw yours after I bought it, otherwise it sounded perfect!)

We went for the Talbot in the end...it is totally hideous on the outside, a bit rusty but *touches wood a lot* hopefully the expensive bits have already been welded (it has had lots of welding). My dad recons most of the stuff under the bonnet *touches wood again* is OK. It has 155k on the clock but has a new clutch.

I am reassured by the mileage thing Pelmetman, and by the fact that yours is the same age. I would never consider buying a G reg car with 155K on the clock, but hopefully the commercial diesl engine is made of solid stuff. I have to say having driven a petrol Astra for so long it feels like driving a tank and my god - the steering circle is gigantic.

And it is MASSIVE inside! Like the Tardis! (will post a photo once I get home). The bed is really comfy and with the hook-up heater, we were actually far too hot in it when we stayed in the Lake District and there was snow on the ground outisde. So so far, so good. It needs a thorough clean and a new carpet, plus nice curtains (current flowery ones are hideous). But for £1,500 it is looking like the best thing we have ever done!

Sounds cheap enough.I bought a new talbot high top van in '83 when they'd been out only a week or so.That did 200k plus in the 4 yrs I had it,before a previous Mrs OJ drove it into a field,via a large Welsh drystone wall.
They share that engine\gearbox with Peugeot and Citroen so bits are v.cheap.You'll have loads of fun,enjoy.(where d'you put the hens?)

pelmetman

bonniethomas06 wrote: But for £1,500 it is looking like the best thing we have ever done!
Can we see some pic's then? .................beware campers can become addictive :mrgreen:

Dave :pirate:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

bonniethomas06

Oh ok then...as I said, not a thing of beauty and someone at work was cruel enough to describe it as looking like an ice-cream van!:
SS Camper.jpg
SS Camper.jpg (37.89 KiB) Viewed 6205 times
But it is very cosy inside (new curtains on the way) - you can see the dog was impressed:
ss inside.jpg
ss inside.jpg (92.17 KiB) Viewed 6205 times
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

pelmetman

Hi Bonnie

Happy Camping, looks great to me.

Sue
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

eco-mick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Excellent - we need a camper thread lol

I got my Mercedes bus last year in Septemeber and slowly turning it into a camper of my dreams (why spend 60k on plastic tat one - where I can have one in real oak! :D and a woodburner too (now the thoughts of it burning down scares me lol)

Everytime I work on her - she takes one step further away from being a bus and one close to a new home :flower:

bonniethomas06

eco-mick wrote:Excellent - we need a camper thread lol

I got my Mercedes bus last year in Septemeber and slowly turning it into a camper of my dreams (why spend 60k on plastic tat one - where I can have one in real oak! :D and a woodburner too (now the thoughts of it burning down scares me lol)

Everytime I work on her - she takes one step further away from being a bus and one close to a new home :flower:
Oooh a woodburner! Now that sounds WONDERFUL. We did need a camper thread - can't believe I joined the Talbot Owners Club forum, how sad am I? But don't fear, I don't think it will beat the excitement of 'ish.

Mick can we have some photos please? And have you been rennovating a camper at the same time as building a straw bale house? You must be a busy boy!

My blog...

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

Can I have a "99" please?

:oops: Sorry. I'll get me coat...

Seriously, I'm really jealous. Happy camping! :iconbiggrin:

Millymollymandy

:lol: Mrs M.

It looks lovely Bonnie - hope you have heaps of fun with it. I'd prefer one with a bit more headroom and comfort, I think a Winnebago would suit me fine..... :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

becks77

That is fab and looks nothing like an ice cream van... they're only jealous
Hope you have lots of fun, any names yet? :iconbiggrin:
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"