I cannot get any waste wooden pallets anymore ?

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
gray_bale
Tom Good
Tom Good

I cannot get any waste wooden pallets anymore ?

Does anyone else have the same problems.

Been to my normal factories to pick up any waste wooden pallets.

This time I have been told that I cannot pick any up, as they are liable for a £1000 fine.

It would seem I do not have a waste carrier license and they I do not have a waste processors license.

So these companies now have to pay a company to come round to 'officially' take the pallets away.

This nows seems barmey, but correct. As a few local lorries and vans have been stopped and been fined, mainly scrap metal lorries and garden waste businesses.
With 40 years experience the goodlife normally ends up costing money one way or the other, and a bad back ???

Check out http://www.balesfield.co.uk/

oldfella
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Re: I cannot get any waste wooden pallets anymore ?

What's the betting that you will soon see, " PALLETS FOR SALE" outside Pesco's soon
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

oldjerry

I dont live that far from the west mids,same constabulary anyhow.Here's what I do,it's bound to be illegal,(in fact where's the fun if it aint?) head for the 'business parks',not the industrial estates,smaller the better, on sunday morning and you'll often find them left outside the units.These guys will only get them infrequently and are not going to have adeal with some recycling outfit to remove them.You can usually find the odd few,chuck 'em on top of the roof bars,and head for home.No one's gonna say anything,if they do say they're for your granny whose suffering from hyperthermia,and remind them this isn't Nazi Germany.

Marmalady
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

How many are you needing?

I get the occasional pallet (one every 2-3 months for my jam-jar delivery) and can usually dispose of it by word of mouth or via freecycle

try asking on your local freecysle/freegle board --someone recently put in a request for about 10 pallets to make raised beds and got enough in ones & twos in only a few days

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

The problem is the waste disposal regulations. Meant to reduce fly tipping but has the knock on effect of preventing recycling.

It only applies to waste goods, however, not to sales of second-hand materials. Try offering to buy them for, say 1p each. A proper invoice from the company will ensure they no longer fall under the heading of 'waste'.

Zoe

welshmum
Tom Good
Tom Good

We have a similar problem here but the issue here is that there are so many people installing wood stoves that most places have cottoned on are now sellign them for a few extra quid.

tim_n
Tom Good
Tom Good

Depending on the treatment of the pallet, they can be quite bad to burn. I'm about to start reusing the wood to make things with. I believe there was an article about a clean air bill and scouting that we weren't allowed to burn them due to said rules. :S doesn't seem to stop anyone though!
Tim_n
http://www.waark.com - allotment and green living blog

applegirl
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Wooden would be nice, I got a delivery at work the other day and it came on a plastic pallet and I haven't got a clue what to do with it! No-one seems to want it.