Fastest ever ...

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Keaniebean
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Fastest ever ...

Ok I'm going to do it :iconbiggrin: but being a total noob about it can I use bakers yeast as that's all I've got? Will it take longer or just produce a less alcoholic brew, sorry for the spanish inquisition I just haven't a clue. lol, lastly ( well for now anyway :shock: :roll: ) is it 'done' when it stops bubbling or is it just guesswork?
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can use bakers yeast - but yes, the alcohol yield may be a little lower. On the other hand, the alcohol content of this wine is not high, so it may do the job perfectly. It's "done" when the bubbling has stopped AND the wine is clear.

Enjoy :iconbiggrin:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

becks77

Ooh missed this first time round thanks Mike I know what 'm up to tonight! :iconbiggrin:
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Keaniebean

You're a star, thank you :hugish:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Help Mike I think it's more like quatermass coming after me
Attachments
the neck.JPG
the neck.JPG (74.55 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can see what's happened - you overfilled the demijohn. When you're starting something off, fill the demijohn only to the shoulder (where the main body begins to curve into the neck). That gives enough room for any initial frothing to occur. If you fill it right up (as you have), the foam doesn't have time to break down before it rockets up the narrow neck. Only when any foaming has died down should you top up the demijohn - but you should still leave a gap of, say, three-quarters of an inch below the bottom of the airlock bung to prevent any infection by contact.

However, you're usually safe in just washing out the airlock at regular intervals. It will become less Quatermassy soon.

Incidentally, I'd put it the right way up or all the wine's going to pour out.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

phew thanks Mike. I was a little worried about going to work and finding the dog "set" like a jam :iconbiggrin:
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham