Weight loss group 2012

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Susie
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Weight loss group 2012

OK, I'm back in (thanks for the invite Al)! - I'm not so much wanting to lose lots of weight at the moment (I mean I wouldn't turn it down but I can still get into my jeans, just about :lol: ), but I really want to get fitter and feel healthier again! So I'll definitely be doing the walking - I'll walk into town tomorrow, and while I'm there I'll get some nice veg off the market and start cooking decent meals again rather than living on sugar O_O. I gave up processed sugar for about a month once (I still ate dried fruit etc) and I felt so much better, but I always drift back to CAKE.

(Although having said I don't really mind about losing weight, I do have a really nice vintage 70s maxidress which I might quite like to get into this summer...)

Bonnie - I'm admiring you and your running. I've let my running slide, I shall have a go at starting again next week.

Mrs Flib - Slimming World sounds a great idea - don't let anyone undermine you! I hope it goes well.
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

eco-mick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Start of the week update.

I didn't put my weight down on Sunday as I was working (or ripping my hair out lol) and with the pizza"gate" I felt my weight would be yoyoing again - shame got to me.. but one must forget and stand up.. so out came the scales...

Big breathe and so weighed myself within the last half hour as I just got up (from the night shift)

Now sitting on 239.8lbs! :iconbiggrin: yay! tapped all this into a excel sheet and it says I've lost 15% of the weight I want to lose and target date has notced 3 weeks earier to my goal date - even better :cooldude:

Woohoo - and thats not really going nuts at a gym, simple veggie food with quorn products inc eggs and milk. And cutting out meat and sugar (to some extent) - I did wish I read the label of the small cheesecake pot before I had that.. 25grams of sugar!! arrrghhhh.

Oh, did a 35 min walk last night - truck parked up in the yard and I thought I have a nice stroll around to the 24 hour asda around the corner to stock up on veg etc while I wait for Delivery shop to open.

So all good at the moment... roll on June 2012

Mick

eco-mick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Bonnie - can I ask what advice would you give to someone lookng to start running.

I want to hide myself as I feel embassred running at the momemt - perfect in the dark. I got 2 choices - either have a little jog on my enforced work breaks (inc the walking... humm perfect way to build up I think but don't want to tired myself out too quick as I need to drive 3-4 hours back to base) but some areas I go to are undesirable or a layby on a dual carridgeway. The other option is to do this when I get home in the early hours when its still dark as well :cooldude:

Mick

Big Al

Well done Mick, keep it going.

Welcome Mrs F, don't be ashamed of your weight, it took a lifetime to get there and it won't go off overnight. As someone who was 28 st and didn't feel bad about it you've got nothing on me. If you don't want to declare a weight that's cool, you will still get help and tips here.

AS of tomorrow, Wednesday i'll be a bit quiet as I've got a rush appt on to get my wrist slit open. All the times i've tried to top myself and failed only to let a woman do it tomorrow...

That is SO politically incorect on so many levels it feels so good...

Deriously I have carple tunnel disease in both wrists and get the first one done tomorrow so will be strapped up for atleast two weeks and I don't type quick with one hand let alone it being my poor hand.

I'll try to offer encouragement but if I miss a post it's not to offend you good peeps.

Take care,

Alan
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

prison break fan

HI, I have been with this since the beginning, with limited success! So, this year I aim to do better! Had a chat with Big Al and he said having no scales was no excuse and I could reveal my dress size. I started off last year a size 16 and am still a size 16! However It is definitely a looser 16 and several people have asked me if I have lost weight, which was encouraging. I did a lot of walking, which stopped with the dark mornings but has just started again, today being the first one. So I think the goal this year is a size 14. Good luck all! pbf.

bonniethomas06

eco-mick wrote:Bonnie - can I ask what advice would you give to someone lookng to start running.

I want to hide myself as I feel embassred running at the momemt - perfect in the dark. I got 2 choices - either have a little jog on my enforced work breaks (inc the walking... humm perfect way to build up I think but don't want to tired myself out too quick as I need to drive 3-4 hours back to base) but some areas I go to are undesirable or a layby on a dual carridgeway. The other option is to do this when I get home in the early hours when its still dark as well :cooldude:

Mick
Well done on the loss this week Mick.

Believe me, if I can run, anyone can run. I have been on-off running for about 5 years now but when I started I was a 14 stone lump (that is quite fat for my height, believe me!). I just started off doing one mile twice a week, then added to the distance the next week, and so on.

For me, the thing that got me hooked was my ipod - it had a setting where it measured how long you go for and told you by interrupting the music, every time you got past a mile. It also put it all in a nice graph for you when you got home so you could see yourself improving. Call me fickle but this was really satisfying and seemed to work much better than just knowing I had run around the block. I recon that if everyone was forced to do ten runs they would all take it up - it is just that the first ten aren't very pleasant when you first start, so stick with it. Couldn't do it without music either.

After a while, although I didn't enjoy running when I was actually doing it (who does? I still hate every step!) I came to love the feeling afterwards - all those endorphins pumping around your body - I remember standing in the shower and feeling like I was buzzing. I also like the fact that my muscles feel like they have been working, and the satisfaction of knowing I have done my run for that day. Then someone I fancied decided to do a half marathon and in an attempt to impress them I put my name down too :oops: . So had the added incentive to go out and train for that. And have found it all totally addictive.

Eventually, when you are running, you will find you get into a certain rhythm and can switch off. I run around country lanes (sometimes drive out to a nice spot) so it is really rather relaxing. Not sure I am in a position to give advice but I guess I would say make sure you try at least ten runs before you give up and don't worry about what other people think about seeing you running. Seriously, people are totally wrapped up in their own lives and really don't care that you are jogging - and you don't even know them, so stuff it. I see all sorts out on my runs and if I even notice someone large running past me, my thoughts would be 'good on you' rather than anything nasty. Put on your joggers and be proud!

Lastly - sorry, what a self indulgent post - when I started running I felt that I was the odd one out at the party - there are magazines, websites, clubs and a total culture of running and it felt like everyone was better than me and I wasn't allowed to join in. But it isn't like that, really - if you can put one foot in front of the other quickly, you can run. If you can run, you are a runner and have every right to buy the fancy kit (if that is your thing) or enter a race.

And don't worry about tiring yourself out - OK your legs might be a bit tired, but if anything running makes you feel alert and awake (the endorphins again) and alive - and when you come to sleep, you sleep much better in my experience.

Oh god going to say something very cheesy now and not entirely appropriate for a website like this - but seriously, the best advice is 'Just Do it!') :wink:
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Keaniebean

Cackles as she enters the forum to come and play :wink:

My weight has been up and down more times than a rabbits bum in March since last year when I joined the ishloss gang. Over the summer I fell head first into the apple cart ( then proceeded to it it's contents and then the actual cart itself, and if the driver hadn't of been so bloody quick to run away, I may well have eaten them too ). I went from about 17 1/2 stone right up to 18 stone 5 lbs and was around a size 22/24 :pale:

Since October I have been back on track though roughly speaking. I did a month of the Atkins diet and lost 10lbs, but then the weight loss just stagnated as did the novelty of the diet itself, so I went back to a more varied diet loosely based on the Slimming World one which I had done before with reasonable success.

So here I stand today 17 stone 4 lbs ( 15lbs down) and roughly a size 20. So now I'm down overall albeit only by a handful of lbs since last January, but down none the less.

Since Monday I have been doing 1 hr a day of brisk walking with stinky dog and shall continue to do this for as long as possible. It was something I used to do as a teenager/young adult and it kept me fitter and healthier than I am now, so it will be great to feel that kind of energy return at the very least. Hopefully it will speed up my weight loss a little too. :iconbiggrin:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Susie

Bonnie, that's brilliant advice about running, you're encouraging me to start again.

I will add that I once went running, tripped on a molehill, and skidded 3 feet along then ended up spreadeagled with my arms in front of me like dangermouse. I was rescued by a woman with 2 ginger dogs. Dogs have no irony and they rushed over eagerly to see if I was alright, having a good jump round me and making sure everyone in the vicinity had seen me, while I lay there wondering if I had broken anything, and thinking perhaps the ground might swallow me up if I hoped hard enough. So eco Mick, I have already done the most embarrassing thing anyone can possibly do while running and you can't do anything worse than me. No need to be embarrassed ;-).

And cackling right back welcomingly at Keaniebean ;-).
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Keaniebean

Susie, I'm not laughing at you, but with you. Honnestly :oops: :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Susie

Well Sarah you can laugh, but those ginger dogs were extremely worried :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hooe you will all forgive me. I am not even in the group. But on the running front (that Bonnie mentioned) here is an article that might just give those of you a bit of perspective about why you should try it.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/1 ... s-healthy/
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

eco-mick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Weight update - lost 1.8lbs from last weeks total. :cooldude: so now on the the 17st boundary, one more slight drop then the big number will change from the 17 to 16 and 2 big numbers away from the target of 14 lol..

Still 19% weight lost so only coming to 1/5 of the way marker (makes it good when broken down into smaller bits)

I have a feeling I could have done better this weekend gone but still it was around family while the camper was on their drive, with me and dad working on it and did like to enjoy myself a little for example a brew with sugar and 2 borbons biccies (my only treat then;) ) and oh the veggie indian takeout on Friday night which I half'd and had the other half on Sat evening - my goodness it was lovelly. I've also noticed recently that my sense of taste has changed too :cooldude:

Still... good news all round.

Hope your doing well Al since the trip to have your body sliced up? and also hope everyone else is doing good this week

:flower:
Last edited by eco-mick on Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

aahh!
finally got the internet back after it going down in those storms we had!

iv not lost anything, still 9st 8lbs. but at least iv not gone up!

we're going home in 3 weeks! ( back to macedonia )
so im going to take up jogging with my lovable st bernard dog again! :) we plod allong at the same pace :)

was planning on looseing some more weight in time for going home but its difficult at the moment with my complete lack of any form of excercise. its so isolating here ( staying with my parents ) out in the middle of no where in scotland without a car! im just in the house all day everyday with my 2 kids, both pre schoolers, driving me mad :banghead:

anyway, when we get back home ill just be able to walk out my front door with the dog and the kids and go to the park or for a walk round the town or cycle up to the orchard to do some pruning :iconbiggrin:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Marmalady
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

i'm up slightly this week -- but only half a pound so not too disheartened

and we have now finished 2 boxes chocs and a tin of biscuits from christmes

just the cake & after eights to go !

Keaniebean

I've had a really up and down week as far as food goes but I've been keeping up with the exercise and decided I needed something a little more so I bought The Biggest Looser Wii game, which is basically a fitness video type thingy, but with LOADS of different routines and workouts so I'm really happy with it.

Overall loss this week is 2lbs so that takes me to 17 stone 2lbs. Woooohooo, I'm happy with that, but I can't wait to see that number change to a 16 something either Eco-Mick.

:wav: :wav:
Sarah.x