Weight loss group 2012

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Weight loss group 2012

This weeks goal is to continue with the walking but also looking at food labels in the shops.

We tend to just pick up food that we like the look of from supermarkets. What we should be doing is making a meal plan and then a shopping list and only buying that shopping. Obviously if we are buying a weeks shopping then we need a weeks meal plans and a weeks shopping list.

The Goal this week is looking at food labels. This is important because we should aim to eat less than 5% of sugar. This is what diabetics are told to do and as such it is adviasable for all.
5% sugar is what you look for in the 100g column. For instance It will read per 100g, Carbohydrates 10g, Of which sugar 8g. Aim for the last bit[ the 8 in this example] to be 5g or under.

The thing that you will find amazing and I will guaruntee this is that you will be amazed at the amount of sugar in LOW FAT foods. Foods low in fat are good but because prepared food is high in fat to make it palitable when they reduce the amount of fat they have to increase the sugar to compensate.

If you don't believe me just compare the two versions of the same product. One low fat, the other normal. The low fat will have much more sugar in it [in general].

Also you will find that red and brown sauce have around 25% sugar, Jaffa cakes will have around 63% carbs and 53% / g sugar.

Ok so for this week walking aim for 1 mile in 18 minutes and WATCH THOSE LABELS....

Keep the faith,

BA.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

bonniethomas06

Big Al wrote:Well done Bonnie for rejoining the ish loss. I am not even going to presume I know enough to offer advice on your running. Msybe you could give the group a few tips after your race which will hopefully see the rest of us walking faster then running a bit. The reason I say after the race is to give you time for your race and also time for us to get fitter.

BA
Thanks BA. I recon if I can run, anyone can!

Just weighed in and my loss this week is -2lbs, to 11st5lbs.

My widget thingy says I burned off 1200 cals on my long training run today, so am treating myself to a couple of roast potatoes to celebrate! (usually no carbs with evening meal).

Good luck and well done all. :flower:
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Flo

I'm not into weighing myself as that would mean buying some scales. However I am still a size 16 which is down from size 18 mid summer 2011 - but some weight has gone back on with inactivity over the Xmas sit down period.

I'm going back to recording all my meals which seems to be the way that I keep the best check on what I'm doing. I would like to be a size 14 by the end of the year. I find it easier to say that I want to drop a clothes size than to worry about standing on the scales once a week.

My problem lies in that when I have spare time I eat whilst I read. And I've not had any great reason to be outside for the last three weeks but things are changing back to the old routines after the winter closure of all life. May it not snow.

eco-mick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Big Al wrote:Eco mick, So you felt crap after the first pizza but still eat the second then more bread ??

At least you know how you felt and attributed it to the stodgy, heavy, weight puttling on, diabetic inducing white bread. If you are working on the camper in future or if anyone else is doing something that takes them away from prepping a propper meal can I sugesst you prepare the meal before you start or maybe do a slow cook stew for tea.
If you have a slow cooker it is realtivly easy but if not then check your oven instruction book and see about putting a pan of stew in the oven at around 130 - 150 Deg C for 4 - 5 hours. That way you will not be tempted after a hard day in the cold to " oh I can't be bothered to cook, I'll get a pizza" [my failing in this situation is a currie from the balti in murry street , Hartlepool...]

How is the enforced break walking doing Mick? getting any faster / further walked??
lol... no.. I must have worded that wrong.

I made wholemeal homemade loaf in the morning so brekkie was a slice with 2 poached eggs on. It was late in the evening really late that I was hungry (had fruit in the mean time) and at parents place and parents did a meal (meat) that didn't appeal to me (as it was you know.. full of fat :pukeright: ). As was near morrisons I popped in for a veggie pizza, on the way back after sorting out the truck and had that with them at dinner (don't want to offend the elders :roll: ).. That really 1st one didn't effect me, next day as I knew I going to be really sort on time in turn of getting up and out to work (1 hour window) the other pizza in the fridge got cooked and took this to work for evening pack up - big bad mistake..

I tell you, it felt like a dark heavy cloud surrounding/covering me. And so slugish even while working on the roads.. My body feels like I am walking through honey/treacle and I didn't feel alert at all.

Looking back, the timing was all wrong to be honest that my down fall.

Back to the veggies, want I have done now is baked off a large batch of roast veg in olive oil and that goes into a tupperware box now. Will be back to working on camper come on Friday so will deffo be doing that again.

As with the walking.. since the (*) South Sheilds trip, the 2 other shifts I've done since have been in a locked compound... so unless I fancy walking around and around in circles and the security guard a few moments away from reporting a driver going nuts (lol) I decided to crack out a book and a 15min snooze.

Edit (*) - I noticed I've put down Hartlepool which is should be South Sheilds... mind is cracking at the moment ;) still to keep things going when a read looks back to see where the H'Pool came from lol
Last edited by eco-mick on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Al

Mrs BA and I have found out that white bread is a killer. Mind you we can eat a loaf each every day !! Mrs excuse is brown bread gives her guts the wobble... I don't [or didn't] have one, an excuse that is. It's the same when we have a lot of meat as well so our plate is 3/4 veg, sometimes up to 7 different in the growing season and a bit of meat. I'd like to go veggie again but don't know when or if I will.
Sorry if I thought you had 2 pizzas and bread in the same meal... obviously I was thinking of my past meals, lol.
Pre or batch cooking is a good idea Mick. I get my wrists slit on Wednesday so I'm feaverishly batch cooking now or i'll be hungry if mrs Ba does the cooking, lol.

I reckon i know what shops you do in pools mick so if you are hartlepool bound again give me a shout as i'm only a few 100 yards away.

Flo, Welcome back.

If you eat whilst you read then why not try celery, carrots, raw cauli etc instead of crisps and chocy bisqueets etc. If recording meals are good for you then that's as fine as using scales. It's what works best for us that we need to do.

It will be especially interesting to hear your ideas on this weeks goal of watching the sugar content on packets and food in general if you record what meals you eat. [ not record to publish here I hasten to add] If you can specifically think about this topic Flo then give us your sumary ideas at the weekend I think it would be helpfull to you and us even if you cook every meal every day there is still scope for watching sugar content.

Bonnie,

Does the no carb after 6 type thing work? Not to depress you but your run today burnt off about 1/3 of a whole pound of fat. It will also have toned muscle, expanded your lung cap[acity and a whole lot more so well done again.

Keep the faith peeps.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

eco-mick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Big Al wrote: Sorry if I thought you had 2 pizzas and bread in the same meal... obviously I was thinking of my past meals, lol.
Pre or batch cooking is a good idea Mick. I get my wrists slit on Wednesday so I'm feaverishly batch cooking now or i'll be hungry if mrs Ba does the cooking, lol.

I reckon i know what shops you do in pools mick so if you are hartlepool bound again give me a shout as i'm only a few 100 yards away.
No worries.. no word of a lie.. mum was shocked as when I had that "pizza" :pale: the other day it was one of the small ones (8"?) and I could only manage 60% of it before I stopped. Now.. that is very unual for me as in my past life I would polish that off without any worries. But I stopped when I felt "right?" and gave the rest to the hens when I got home (after soaking it in water)

Got the PM - so will arrange when in the area :thumbright:

Much as I hate nuking my food at the staff canteen at the stores... its the only way unless I happen to have an hour or so running back before stopping for the enforced break - which in case I stick the tupperware box on the Merc Dash vent and crack up the heating to 100% blast :cooldude: (whist I am cooking inside the tin box too lol)

Edit: I gotta say, I noticed this as well.. how well I look in recent days... with my longer hair with the beanie hat (when you see me Al - you gonna say Hippy, I know you will lol) and I feel more upbeat about the figure and don't feel "big" as such. If these pounds drop off - my broad shoulders and chest will stand out I hope :pirate:

Marmalady
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

:iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin: *does happy dance* :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin:

having lost nearly 6 lb this week --i am back to my pre-christmas weight!!

now .... wheres that box of chocs i have been avoiding all week ?

I managed this by eating:
no potato (but rarely have any anyway)
no rice or pasta (normally have them 2-3 times a week)
almost no bread (none until last night's cheese on toast for tea - but don't usually eat much anyway)
very little cheese (my usual "nibble" of choice)
no cake
almost no biscuits (finally gave in and had 3 choc bikkies friday night)
lots of vegetables - either as home-made soup or as part of main meal
"ordinary" main meals of chicken, sausages, etc

This gave me a diet very low in carbs and pretty low in fat. I would not want to continue this strictly for too long -- but hope to continue the weight loss it has started.
I will allow myself a treat or two this week but will not go overbooard on the chocs & cakes etc we still have left from Christmas

eta: also no alcohol -- but i don't drink much normally - usually a shared bottle of wine sat or Sun, an occasionl evening tipple midweek
Last edited by Marmalady on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boboff

Waiting and watching....... Weekend away this weekend, Wifes birthday soon, want to clear the decks.... I am so good at putting things off! Should be an Olympic sport, Procrastination King!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

elisabeth
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Thanks for the invite Big Al. Yes I need to lose about 5 pounds to keep me at my desired weight. I've lost a pound in one week, and lived on very plain food..no carbs at all, no wine, no bread, potatoes, cream sauces & etc. Eating grapefruit and Greek yoghurt as a treat! Also walking an hour a day.
Bonne courage to everybody. I've been in the obese range and it's a huge target to reach ones ideal weight but it is possible.

Big Al

eco-mick wrote: Edit: I gotta say, I noticed this as well.. how well I look in recent days... with my longer hair with the beanie hat (when you see me Al - you gonna say Hippy, I know you will lol) and I feel more upbeat about the figure and don't feel "big" as such. If these pounds drop off - my broad shoulders and chest will stand out I hope :pirate:
I'm a fat slap head so I'll not be missed. Even if I am overlooked my mouth will let me down...
Secret Asparagus binger

Big Al

Marmalady wrote::iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin: *does happy dance* :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin:

having lost nearly 6 lb this week --i am back to my pre-christmas weight!!

now .... wheres that box of chocs i have been avoiding all week ?

I managed this by eating:
no potato (but rarely have any anyway)
no rice or pasta (normally have them 2-3 times a week)
almost no bread (none until last night's cheese on toast for tea - but don't usually eat much anyway)
very little cheese (my usual "nibble" of choice)
no cake
almost no biscuits (finally gave in and had 3 choc bikkies friday night)
lots of vegetables - either as home-made soup or as part of main meal
"ordinary" main meals of chicken, sausages, etc

This gave me a diet very low in carbs and pretty low in fat. I would not want to continue this strictly for too long -- but hope to continue the weight loss it has started.
I will allow myself a treat or two this week but will not go overbooard on the chocs & cakes etc we still have left from Christmas

eta: also no alcohol -- but i don't drink much normally - usually a shared bottle of wine sat or Sun, an occasionl evening tipple midweek
Megga congrats this week M'lady, :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Be aware that if you eat those chocolates you have been avoiding you will put on next week... Why not try a low carb one week then medium carbs the next week followed by low carbs on week 3?
What are you going to allow as a Treat?? Think of it as a treat but only once and don't forget that you have had a "treat" next time you are in the fridge, lol.

Alcohol is one of the fastest ways to put on wireight and the sugar content is really high and no, RED WINE does not count as 1 of your 5 a day... :oops:
I don't drink alcohol and at 7 pm on the 22nd of January 2012 it will be 26 years since I last had a drink but I bet if you count up all you drink it will be close to a full bottle of wine every week.

I'm not having a dig at you M'lady but just pointing out some things that might put the 6 or even 7 pounds on next week.

Seriously though megga congratulations on this weeks loss.
Secret Asparagus binger

Big Al

boboff wrote:Waiting and watching....... Weekend away this weekend, Wifes birthday soon, want to clear the decks.... I am so good at putting things off! Should be an Olympic sport, Procrastination King!
The thing is Boboff is that if you wait until the weekends out of the way and the wifes birthday is gone then it will be valentines day, easter, your birthday, the olym[ics, the wedding aniversary, halloween, christmas... yee gads where did that year go??

If you want to lose weight start today and then when these important events come up you will be slimmer so you can "put a couple of pounds on" and still be lighter than now or you can wait and be fatter than you are now with the resultant diabetes, heart disease, strokes, cancers.....

Like Eco mick he likes what he is seeing and i want to tuck my t shirt in my trousers this year so what's you goal Bob??
Secret Asparagus binger

Big Al

elisabeth wrote:Thanks for the invite Big Al. Yes I need to lose about 5 pounds to keep me at my desired weight. I've lost a pound in one week, and lived on very plain food..no carbs at all, no wine, no bread, potatoes, cream sauces & etc. Eating grapefruit and Greek yoghurt as a treat! Also walking an hour a day.
Bonne courage to everybody. I've been in the obese range and it's a huge target to reach ones ideal weight but it is possible.
Congratulations on the pound dropped. It gets so much harder when it's the last few.

You walked for 1 hour, did you time yourself against the distance by any chance?

Also you are the third one this week that has mentioned about carbs in their diet. Could be a target for next week me thinks.

Good luck and keep uo the good work everyone.
Secret Asparagus binger

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

my friend leah and I are going to join slimming world. she's a size 28, I'm an 18 and we both want to lose weight for health. our friend hazel already goes and is behind us 100%. we're keeping it quiet from other friends though because they're the kind that would undermine and bring it down, but I REALLY wanted to tell someone!!! hazel, leah and myself spend a lot of time together and have become close friends over the last couple of years, so it'll be nice to have that support....

we've also found out that our monthly chinese meal out doesn't have to end, we'll just switch to harvester because a lot of their grilled food is on the "free" food list or is low in treat points, so we can still drink when we go and not go over hahahaha! well, leah and I will drink, Hazel is the only one of us who drives but she's said she'll save her allowances for either a pudding or a full sugar cola.

I've been trying for two years on my own to lose weight, I get to 12st 4 (I'm 13st ish and have been since I had Sophie) and it stops, so I give up and put it back on again. I need the motivation of other people!

I'm starting this week, but leah has prior commitments and will be starting next week. I'm actually really excited. I'll be taking soph with me 'cos jim's on nights, but I'm going to tell her it's a healthy eating club. I was worried about the cost, but I figure Jim spends more on karate than I will on slimming world!!!

I'll keep you all posted on progress. don't want to put my weight, but will tell you my losses and how that equates to my goal!

goal: lose 3st.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Marmalady
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Big Al wrote: Megga congrats this week M'lady, :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Be aware that if you eat those chocolates you have been avoiding you will put on next week... Why not try a low carb one week then medium carbs the next week followed by low carbs on week 3?
What are you going to allow as a Treat?? Think of it as a treat but only once and don't forget that you have had a "treat" next time you are in the fridge, lol.

Alcohol is one of the fastest ways to put on wireight and the sugar content is really high and no, RED WINE does not count as 1 of your 5 a day... :oops:
I don't drink alcohol and at 7 pm on the 22nd of January 2012 it will be 26 years since I last had a drink but I bet if you count up all you drink it will be close to a full bottle of wine every week.

I'm not having a dig at you M'lady but just pointing out some things that might put the 6 or even 7 pounds on next week.

Seriously though megga congratulations on this weeks loss.

Thanks Al :icon_smile:

Oh i won't go overboard with my treats -- i allowed myself 3 chocolates after my lunch - that will be it for today

In general i will continue with the low carb, low fat -- just not as strictly as i did last week -- maybe a rice or pasta dish one night or a piece of cake another night (we still have plenty of christmas cake to eat up!)

I know I am unlikely to continue losing 6 lb a week ( and i dont think it would really be good for me long-term if i lost weight that fast ) - but if i could lose a pound or so steadily i would be happy

Welcome to all the newbies in the group -- and good luck!