Jack Russell just got my hen

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

Jack Russell just got my hen

Went home to walk the dog this lunchtime, only to find that next doors' Jack Russel had gotten one of our hens :pale:

There were feathers everywhere, and the poor little thing has had a patch of skin ripped off her neck about the size of three 50p pieces. She was naturally very shocked and sat very quietly in a corner. I have put her in a little hutch on her own with food and water to get over the shock...what I am more concerned about is whether she will recover from this?

Is there anything a vet can do? Would it be kinder to put her out of her misery? Don't want her sitting there in pain but conversely, if it will eventually heal up and some peace and quiet will see her get better, would like to give her the chance.

What would you do?

Thanks

Bonnie
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

contadina

Re: Jack Russell just got my hen

We've had a chicken mauled by a wild dog before and, although the wound probably wasn't life threatening, it too went into a state of shock so we put it out of it's misery there and then.

marshlander

Sorry about your news, it's very upsetting isn't it. We've nursed hens for various things over the years when the vets only suggestion was to put to sleep and sometimes we've been lucky This might help on the poultry forum; http://www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/sh ... php?t=1404.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

The Riff-Raff Element

If she is showing obvious signs of distress or pain then it would be best to finish her now. If she is calm and quite then I would see if I can get hold of a topical spray antiseptic from an agricultural supplier or vet (perhaps your neighbour would be prepared to pay for this?), apply it, and review after 24hours. I've had hens recover from some fairly grim looking wounds, but wealfare must come first: if you are in any doubt, cull.

Have you confronted your neighbour? It may be a Jack Russell, but dogs are supposed to be controlled.

oldjerry

I'm agreeing with all this.I'm afraid Bonnie.if your hen won't eat it's VERY unlikely to recover,and you should put it out of it's misery.If your neighbour cant,or wont, control their dog you, or some of the people you work with ,should send them a letter,and if it recurs then the dog will have to go the same way as your chicken.( prior to any avalanche of hatemail,I've had loads of terriers,still got a patterdale,and excellent as they are they can be horrific around poultry,and really HAVE to be controlled).

becks77

So sorry Bonnie, any news on your chuckie.
Keep her warm and quiet, previousluyy I have brought a sickly chuck into the house to sattay warm and keep an eye on her too, she did recvover. Serious words with next door are required.
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Big Al

becks77 wrote: Serious words with next door are required.
There wouldn't be a jack russel bothering my hens the next day believe me. Words can not solve the problem. Once a dog, any dog gets the taste of flesh then the trouble is there for the next time.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Durgan

Big Al wrote:
becks77 wrote: Serious words with next door are required.
There wouldn't be a jack russel bothering my hens the next day believe me. Words can not solve the problem. Once a dog, any dog gets the taste of flesh then the trouble is there for the next time.
Not quite. When a kid, my Fox Terrier use to catch a neighbour's chicken and would chew a leg off. When found I would kill the chicken and bury it to save my dog. There were hundreds of chickens free running. One day I stumbled amongst a recent mutilation with the dog smiling and showing off, proud as can be. I grabbed the dog by scruff by the neck and whipped him unmercifully and rubbed his nose into the chicken, which I promptly buried. Never again did I find a mutilated chicken, the punishment must be done when the act is found immediately, or the dog will just assume the beating was for nought, since associating the beating with the act is not made. Of course, the dog must have more intelligence than most people, which is often the case with the terrier class of dog.

oldjerry

Hmm, I think to be fair,the dog is just doing something that comes naturally( mine regularly went in ratting competions,) your problem is with the neighbour.So I,and I expect Big Al, would give the neighbour the merciless whipping.You ,on the other hand,might prefer to send them a s****y letter and a bill. BW.

bonniethomas06

Thanks all - I did read these posts last night but didn't have time to reply.

Hen update: she is OK - checked this morning and she was up and walking about in the hospital pen, even clucked a little when I opened the lid. Am going to give her the chance, as she doesn't have any obvious signs of being in pain and seems to be eating and drinking. Bur rest assured that if she goes downhill my OH will do the deed. Will try and get hold of some antiseptic/anaestetic spray as soon as possible. Poor little thing.

As for the Jack Russell - it is my fault more than my neighbours. We live in a cottage on an estate where the owner is next door. It is all a bit commune-like and her JR is allowed to roam freely around the fields etc and always comes home when called.

We have stock fenced our area of the field that we rent from her - but the JR obviously just got under or over the stock fencing and went for it. They free range in our veggie patch at the moment, as their chicken-wire fenced run is really boggy and horrible with all this rain. So I should have taken more care - and will reinforce the stock fencing at the weekend (meanwhile the owner is keeping the dog 'in' the garden for this week) and was very apologetic.

Thanks for all of your help all.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

oldjerry

Pleased to hear hopefull news,I didn't realise your neighbour was also the landlady,perhaps not such a good idea to go round and give her a slap!

To be honest,if a JR can get to them while your at work,so can a fox.Asingle strand of electric around the outside of your present fence connected to a solar charger might help(maybe 9'' high,and 2' from the fence.) Dog wouldn't like it either.

No help to you but I gave acouple of those solar things away before we went away.........sorry.(often see them cheap at farm sales though).

bonniethomas06

Good plan OJ, in fact it has been a wake-up call as you say, a fox would have a great time. Once the pigs are off at the end of Jan, I will re-locate their electric fence and get some poultry netting to hook up to it.

Until then I am afraid the chooks are going back in their high-security chicken run and will just have to lump the boggy conditions, although I might get some woodchips at the weekend to give them something sort of dry to stand on.

My blog...

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Sorry about your poor hen. Glad she's on the mend.

I put woody hedge trimmings and twigs in my run. They form a sort of raft over the mud and the chooks can still scratch and peck between the twigs. They love it when they get new stuff.

Zoe

The Riff-Raff Element

Please to hear she's on the mend. I use bark chippings in some areas, which seems to work well.

bonniethomas06

Thomzo wrote: I put woody hedge trimmings and twigs in my run. They form a sort of raft over the mud and the chooks can still scratch and peck between the twigs. They love it when they get new stuff.

Zoe
Yup me too when we have them, otherwise sometimes I put the used straw from the pig bedding (they don't poo or wee on it) but after a while it turns a bit mushy, and raking it up is hideous!

Ah...the joy of chicken keeping.

My blog...