Yule - how did/are you spending it?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

Yule - how did/are you spending it?

Firstly, Yule Blessings for all Pagan 'ishers out there.

How did you spend it/are planning to spend it - I gather from doing a bit of research that the solstace is more of a 3 day period than an exact moment - which I am glad for. I was invited to my folks last night and my father is more than slightly mortified by my pagan leanings, so I had to make do with lighting a candle when I sat up to the table for a cup of tea once home!

May well have a proper celebration on the 23rd when I finish from work though... and have plans to stuff the house full of greenery too.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Rosendula

Re: Yule - how did/are you spending it?

We have our "Christmas" dinner on or around the solstice complete with jokes about how the Yule log follows the Yule meal :lol: . Got the turkey in the oven now and am about to start peeling vegetables. I'm doing extra veg to go in the big stew pan with some beef and that's what we'll be eating on the 23rd and 24th. No-one cooks on Christmas day - instead, we have a big buffet laid out that we prepare on Christmas eve. Today is the start of it all for me - :cheers:
Rosey xx

boboff

Wow I am liking this Pagan thing then, tell me more?

Sorry I know I could goodle it, but hey it's nicer from you guys.

I like the idea of the seasons dictating Holidays, and not Politics.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Brear in mind if you ask 12 Pagans a question you'll recieve 13 different answers but here goes:

The Sabbats/Pagan Festivals

All Pagan festivals run from 12 noon to 12 noon so I’ve put the start dates, most ceremonies involve preparation (making food, candles, costumes etc 12-6pm), feasting (6-11pm), the religious bit (11pm-1am), sleeping (1am-dawn), merrymaking (i.e. fairs, dancing etc dawn-12 noon)

Imbolc(Pronounced im-bow (to rhyme with go)-lock), 2nd February, Major Sabbat

Birth (or re birth) of the Goddess as “Maiden,” bringing new light into our world, so the day is spent making candles and preparing Bride’s (pronounced Breed) bed, which is placed near to the hearth. All fires, candles etc are extinguished and lights put out just before midnight & then relit just after to welcome Her presence. (Known by the Judao/Christian faiths as Candlemass. As you will see, they nicked most of our ceremonies!)This festival is celebrated with the colour white, with food and drink being white, white candle on a white Altar cloth, and gifts of things to do with purity and innocence being exchanged, (such as soap and bubble bath).

Estara, 21st March, Spring Equinox, Minor Sabbat

Goddess as huntress meets God, as hunter, and falls in love, bringing new beginnings to our world, the day is spent decorating eggs, (sound familiar?), the symbol of new beginnings. (Christian Easter is around this time.) At Estara the God returns to the Wildwood as the Green Lord, young & vibrant in his masculinity and meets the Goddess for the first time, returning colour & life to the world and banishing cold.This festival is celebrated with the colours yellow and grass green, (daffodil colours), yellow and green foods, yellow candles on a grass green Altar cloth, and gifts to do with new beginnings (such as packets of seeds) or the hare, symbol of the Goddess Estara, whose festival this is, (not cutsie bunnies!).

Beltain, (Pronounced bell-ain, as in rain), 30th April, Major Sabbat

If it fall on a Full Moon it is very portentous The Goddess and her Consort a-hum…consummate their love. ;), in first giving themselves to each other, (hence its nickname of F**k Festival!), they bring great joy to our world, their joining brings the warmth back to the land and ensures fertility, so the day is spent in fertility rites, such as May Pole dancing, Crowning of the May Queen and general fun and games.This is the most important of all the festivals, so we REALLY celebrate this one.It’s colours are all the pastel shades of pink, pale blue, mauve, pale green, lemon and peach. Multi-coloured candles grace an embroidered Altar cloth. Gifts are those things associated with fertility and fecundity, (fun things for kids, such as toy rabbits, really fun things for adults!)

Litha, (Pronounced Lee-thur), 21st June, Mid-Summer Solstice, Minor Sabbat

The Marriage of the Goddess and her Consort, bringing stability into our world. The day is spent celebrating family ties. Family bar-b-ques are very appropriate as this is the Sun God (fire) at his height.It’s colours are pinks and reds, Red Altar cloth, pink candles, gifts that are associated with the family, such as framed photos.Many couples renew their marriage vows at this time, with all their friends and family to witness their renewed love. (Pagans have three stages of marriage: first stage is for a year and a day, second stage is for life, third stage is for eternity).

Lughnasadh,(Pronounced Loo-naze), 2nd August, Major Sabbat

The Sacrifice of the God, bringing assured harvest to ourworld. This is the first harvest festival: the grain harvest. The day is spent “sacrificing yourself” i.e. doing tasks for others, often your neighbourhood, such as litter picking.The colours of this festival are rich yellows and golds, Altar cloth and candles are gold, gifts associated with sacrifice, such as a promise to do something for someone else.

Mabon, 21st Sept, Autumn Equinox, Minor Sabbat

The Main Harvest, Goddess obviously pregnant, bringing full stores to our world. The day is spent in tasks to do with preparing for Winter, such as jam making, bottling & pickling or families go blackberrying etc. It is also known as the second harvest; the fruit harvest.The colours are shades of purple and blue, (bramble colours), dark blue Altar cloth and purple or blue candles, gifts associated with storage and thrift, (such as a bank account, or jewellery box).

Samhain,(Pronounced sow (to rhyme with cow) ain (to rhyme with rain),31st Oct, Major Sabbat

If this fall on a Full Moon, it signifies great upheaval for all The Passage of the God to the Realm of the Dead, bringing rest to our world, at this time of year the veil between the worlds of the living and the dead are thin. The day is spent in fortune telling and thinking and celebrating those who are no longer with us. At the feast an extra place is set and the food left on the Altar over night, that the Spirits of the ancestors may take the Spirit of the food, the body of the food is put out for the wild creatures next morning.The colours of this, our second most important festival, are black and silver.Black Altar cloth and silver candles, foods are of black hue, such as blackberry pie, gifts associated with rest, (such as a duvet or slippers).

Yule, 21st Dec, Mid-Winter Solstice, Minor Sabbat

The Birth (re-Birth) of the God and Sun, (Sound familiar? Except they spell it Son!!!) bringing hope to our world. The day is spent giving extravagant gifts.The colours are Dark Green and Red, green Altar cloth and red candles. It is also the time between years, when from now till Dec. 28th we bring evergreens into our house so the foliage Spirits have some where to hide whilst the Sun is reborn, so they don’t die.For the same reason we light the Yule Log, the first log that was cut in the year, and keep it burning for seven days & nights to give the new Sun strength to last the year.

I offer this as my personal view and an explanation to start discussion, NOT as dogma or to 'ram it down any-one's throat'. Please feel free to totally disagree if you experience your Diety in a different way, it would be a very boring world if we were all the same.

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

bonniethomas06

Wow MW thanks so much, that was a beautiful explanation. I do marvel at the very blatent parallels between christianity and paganism. It is lovely how the seasons are celebrated and at the same time, the human life cycle too.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

bonniethomas06

Wow MW thanks so much, that was a beautiful explanation. I do marvel at the very blatent parallels between christianity and paganism. It is lovely how the seasons are celebrated and at the same time, the human life cycle too.

My blog...

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice, succinct post, MW. Thanks for that.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

happyhippy

MW that makes some interesting reading!As for me?I'm afraid I am working all the way through(don't ask,and yes I am bitter and twisted about it lol lol).Personally for me I can't wait for it to be over and then I shall return back to my normal happy self! I hope you all have a great one though!xxx

sleepyowl

I have had a shot of home made limoncello, eaten home made rich chocolate shortcake star biscuits, made a wreath & made Christmas cards & wrapped Christmas presents for the none Pagan folk in my family. Shall be lighting a candle at midnight & go on a pathworking, will also decorate the house.
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

bonniethomas06

What's a pathworking sleepyowl?

My blog...

phil55494
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

For those that celebrate the solstice, I hope you've had a good one. The days start getting longer from here (even if it is only by a few seconds per day for the next week or so).
For those who follow other religious calendars, happy Christmas or happy hannakah.
If you follow no religion, then note that the earth will be closest to the sun in a couple of weeks - perihelion, 5th Jan 2012.

boboff

Thank MW, that is really interesting.
I think I may well look out at the Library for a few books, I am interested in this and the Mood planting stuff. Any suggestions ?
My main myth I suppose is that I thought the Pagan thing was all about the Soltice's, but as you say they are minor, interesting.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

I add my thanks too MW I hope its ok with you I've cut and pasted your post. To a word document not only can I refer to it but I would like to share it with my friends.
It is also the time between years, when from now till Dec. 28th we bring evergreens into our house so the foliage Spirits have some where to hide whilst the Sun is reborn, so they don’t die.
The weather here was a bit miserable but the dog still needed her walk so armed with stout snips and a bag I took her out. Part way round the storm really got up the wind was howling , trees bending and the rain lashing in sheets. As I looked across the valley all the trees looked ghostly where the bottom part seemed to be lost in a mist.
It was fantastic and thinking of what you had written made it all very magical. :hugish:
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

sleepyowl

bonniethomas06 wrote:What's a pathworking sleepyowl?
A pathworking is like a meditation with visualisation, so it kinda leads you on a journey & throws up a couple of surprises from your subconscious, if that makes sense.
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

Silver Ether

Being pagan is great .. you dont have to follow any instruction on your path. It nature based, connecting with our mother earth and father sky .. seeing properly the world we walk on and try to connect to ...

My yule was spent careing for my in-laws ... walking in the woods, dressing the home with greenary and home made crafts... opening a couple of gifts given by other pagans ... and planting two trees where I walk and forage .. they are to mark my place on the planet when I am gone ... so it was lovely ... :icon_smile:

Oh and I made myself shushi cuss it was what I fancied ... :wink:
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.