Lets not call last orders at the Selfufficientish pub

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lets not call last orders at the Selfufficientish pub

In the past we used to used the analogy that this forum is like a local pub and the same social rules apply. The comparison states that most people wouldn't walk into a public house/bar and start shouting at people randomly, nor would they sit down with strangers and try to deliberatley wind them up. The difference here is that in a real pub if you act like a tit to the wrong person you either get ignored or a bloody nose.

So is our local the same?

Well... it's not quite as there are not many blood noses and as this is an internet pub firstly it means its international. On top of that everyone in the pub can hear everything that is being said and for that matter has ever been said. What's more its being taped and shown outside the pub as an advert to punters both new and old to come in an join our pub.

We are proud of our pub and it does a lot of great work; people can come in have a quiet pint and learn how to save their dying apple tree, insulate their loft, look after their chickens or just have a good old natter with friends both old and new in a nice friendly environment.

Now, if the advert that is being beamed to potential new punters and old punters alike starts showing pub fights all the time it won't be long until the pumps dry up, the great bar staff leave, it gets full of salesmen (spammers...keep up with the analogy ;) and who wants to visit a pub like that? I've watched pubs and forums go that way and if this place went that way, well apart from being personally devistated it would be a loss of a great resource.

So whilst this is a pub that champions freedom of speech we also ask you to take a couple of breaths before posting if you think it might wind someone up.

As for us barstaff, if every now and then we have to delete a few frames of video and quietly take to one side the brawlers then this is just to keep our pub alive and happy. In the 7 years the doors have been open we’ve only had to bar a handful of people and delete the odd frame of video (or forum post). We like it that way and for the most part its a great, thriving and inviting pub with fabulous punters and some of the best barstaff around.

So punters, if we can let’s try to keep real ale on the taps, logs on fire and clumsy analogies to forum moderators.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Lets not call last orders at the Selfufficientish pub

What a pitty is isn't Face Book - otherwise I'd have hit the "Like" button! :wink: :iconbiggrin:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

I really enjoy reading this area of the forum. There are people whom I really respect with their knowledge of this and that and then I read their views on a certain topic and I am aghast. But then I remember my "tangible" friends the one I know what they look like and sound like and I remember there are loads of topics I disagree with them on.
Also I really enjoy a difference of opinion. When I don't feel like it's me versus "Him/Her. It's just a bit of a learning curve, the time lag of the written word.
Any how if I outlive my husband I aim to hunt down that gregorach guy any advice or advance :hugish:
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

boboff

£2.60 for a J20 you are havin' a laugh!

Trinder and Greg Roach sitting in a tree, K I S S I N G.........

Seriously there is a marvelous "hearing" loop in this Pub as well, if you "hear" someone in the Pub talking complete and utter Pony, and what ever, but it winds you up, you can magically stop hearing from them, by clicking their user name and "adding foe" then all their posts will disapear and harmony will be restored! Trust me it's free fitting.

None of us are perfect and we all have bad days, and make errors of judgement, harmony is not a desired state IMO. Any forum as sugar sweet as coke would not to be my taste anyway, but what I do find funny is the people who chuck teddies out the pram, pick up the ball and go home, or as it happens in a real pub in our village " I am going up the Cornish" It is just funny, and doesn't mean the Pub is likely to close, it could also make it busier in future as one of the nupties is drinking elsewhere.........

Just saying' sorry, I'll get my coat......
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

The Riff-Raff Element

SusieGee wrote:
boboff wrote: Seriously there is a marvelous "hearing" loop in this Pub as well, if you "hear" someone in the Pub talking complete and utter Pony, and what ever, but it winds you up, you can magically stop hearing from them, by clicking their user name and "adding foe" then all their posts will disapear and harmony will be restored! Trust me it's free fitting.
True true. Trouble is the Landlord and his bar staff don't have this facility and have to listen to all the ******* :mrgreen: :lol:
It's the price of glory. Mind you, it might also explain why no-one appears to be reading most of what I post here :shock: Hello?

Big Al

I've read the original post from andy and the follow up posts and understand it could be a problem for some getting wound up but I seem to have missed what instigated the post. Can someone point me to the post / topic that has prompted the ( I guess) complaint.

Personally I think it would be a travesty to outlaw a bit of winding up here, in a pub or anywhere else actually provided it is seen as a frienfly wind up with the abillity to end the discussion and lock the post at the right time. Some of my best stunts are through winding people up but in case I'm the offender :grouphug:

Big Al
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sorry Gregorach that was supposed to have been a funny comment to lighten the tone. No response was the stern reply. Everyone was supposed to have laughed :oops:
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

gregorach

Hmmm? Sorry, I haven't really been following... I'm actually having to do some work today. :icon_smile:
Cheers

Dunc

gregorach

Ah, right, now I see what you're on about... I must say I'm very flattered, thank you.
Cheers

Dunc

prison break fan

I'm quite happy drinking in this pub! pbf.

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Big Al wrote:I've read the original post from andy and the follow up posts and understand it could be a problem for some getting wound up but I seem to have missed what instigated the post. Can someone point me to the post / topic that has prompted the ( I guess) complaint.

Big Al

is it possibly this? im just guessing as this was going on the other day.

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... 3&start=45

personally i promised myself that i would not engage in pointless aruments on this forum as i dont want to make enimies or be banned because i like this place :grouphug:

i got banned off this raw vegan forum called '30bananas a day' because the majority of people on it were complete morons who completly misunderstand biology, emzymes and digestion ect and are one step away from believeing that food screams in pain if you cook it! :lol:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Big Al

demi wrote:
Big Al wrote:I've read the original post from andy and the follow up posts and understand it could be a problem for some getting wound up but I seem to have missed what instigated the post. Can someone point me to the post / topic that has prompted the ( I guess) complaint.

Big Al

personally i promised myself that i would not engage in pointless aruments on this forum as i dont want to make enimies or be banned because i like this place :grouphug:

i got banned off this raw vegan forum called '30bananas a day' because the majority of people on it were complete morons who completly misunderstand biology, emzymes and digestion ect and are one step away from believeing that food screams in pain if you cook it! :lol:

... AND YOU ARE TELLING ME THAT THEY DON'T SCREAM IN PAIN ?? I think I'll have to join there for a laugh. Sounds like good wind up material... :sunny:
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Gregorach "Flattered" you'd be flattened mate. I'm a big lass. So boboff I don't climb trees neither. Just the thought of it sent me running for my inhalers

:roll:

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Big Al wrote:
demi wrote:

Big Al

... AND YOU ARE TELLING ME THAT THEY DON'T SCREAM IN PAIN ?? I think I'll have to join there for a laugh. Sounds like good wind up material... :sunny:

oh it is!! they are so taken in by the whole lifestyle that they refuse to see sence. its like a cult, they all follow the leader and take everything they say as biblical. anything that is said against their raw vegan idealism is instantly removed and if you keep talking about it they ban you :lol:

its funny you should give it a go! :tongue:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Well I once read an article that explained "why, when you mow the lawn- so many daisies re-appeared the next day" it seems they do scream in pain and then they faint hence the lawnmower goes right over the top without chopping their heads off.