Oca

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Peggy Sue
A selfsufficientish Regular

Oca

Oh I do feel like a very infrequent poster these days... will try to do better in the new year honest!
Meanwhile I know some of you have experience with Oca - I've had a go this year for the first time, harvested them Mid Nov as recommended with hundreds of pebble sized tubers :iconbiggrin:
I grew them 'just like spuds' but I'm not completely sure how far the similarity goes...is it still bad news to eat the green ones? Do they need to be stored in the dark? and I want to seedsave so which are the best to pick for next years crops?
I love the taste, great with fish I think....and possibly joined by a bottle of chablis :drunken:

Must go and make Chocolate Brownie now...important stuff :wink:
Just Do It!

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Oca

Pick the biggest to save. (To my knowledge) they dont produce solanine when exposed to the light but will sprout so do keep them dark. Ok to eat but i wouldnt pig out on them as they are in the oxalis family and do contain some oxalic acid - a build up of which is toxic.
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

So now we all know what you were doing on your birthday :hugish:
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

Peggy Sue

frozenthunderbolt wrote:Pick the biggest to save. (To my knowledge) they dont produce solanine when exposed to the light but will sprout so do keep them dark. Ok to eat but i wouldnt pig out on them as they are in the oxalis family and do contain some oxalic acid - a build up of which is toxic.
Ooo thank you good info! Oxalis group like Rhubarb then? No wonder the dog wasn't keen :lol:
Just Do It!

Peggy Sue

trinder wrote:So now we all know what you were doing on your birthday :hugish:
Hello Trnder... found you on this forum at last :cheers:
Just Do It!