Elm seeds- compost? Mulch or....?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Elm seeds- compost? Mulch or....?

I don't know where to post this! I briefly considered 101uses for but then figured that there probably weren't 101 uses for elm seeds.
We have great drifts around the place fromm the council maintained tree at the front all papery and swishy aroundy (grrrrr), I am sweeping some up but what shall I do with them? Can I compost them somehow? use them as mulch in pot plants? Kill the seeds somehow?
"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

my blog: http://thedullroarphilosophy.blogspot.com/

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Elm seeds- compost? Mulch or....?

I think you'd really need to heat treat them to be sure that they wouldn't germinate (OK - you could mix them with pre-emergent herbicide, but I'm not sure that'd be very useful). Compst heaps can get hot enough, but that doesn't always happen, so putting them into a large pot and bringing to the boil would seem to be the surest way. But is it worth it?

Aesculus
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 50.86291
longitude: -1.242574

turn them into leaf mould? ill them up into black bags and then tie off and leave in a corner for a few months :dontknow:

Millymollymandy

I don't know if your elms are different from European ones, but we have dozens of elms here. Not a one germinates from seed; they come up all over the place from suckers though. I found this info both on the internet and from just observing them.

I'd try them as leaf mould in with the leaves - we must have loads of sycamore and other seeds in our leaf mould but tree seedlings are the least of our weedy problems!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

I thought leaf mould might work- it is raining now so now they will be all damp which will be easier to handle... I will bag them up and leave them to lurk behind the shed!
"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

my blog: http://thedullroarphilosophy.blogspot.com/