Flea beetle

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Peggy Sue
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Flea beetle

I've ben aving progressively more problems each ear with flea beetle- it's taken this long for me to really research it then have a look and find not only do the symptoms match but there are clearly millions of the b*ggers all over my brassicas murdering the little ones :angryfire:
I do try to burn the dead litter from under and don't compost any stalks on the allotment (one or two at home but that's not an issue as I only have raspberries and a few lettuce really at home). Prevention seems beyond me.

I read about using cardboard with grease or treacle on so they jump onto it and stick, I happened to have some grease bands left over from doing the apple trees and well they were a right royal pain to put on the trees but work really well at catching the mites. I've been catching maybe 20-40 per session ( as often as possible but not every day). How long before I can really see a difference- are they like slugs, there in the millions, or is there a chance I can beat tehm down like this... or even another possible approach?
Just Do It!