rats

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

rats

Ok folks,

I want to make a more sturdy chicken run and plan to use mesh on wooden panel frames. My question to you learned folk is what size is a rats head? I ask because I know a rat can shrink it's body to get through a gap the same size as it's head. The mesh I was going to use was 13mm x 25 mm [1/2" x 1"] but then I found some mesh like the original chicken wire we all know of but this hole size was hexagonal and only 13 mm in diamiter. It's quite cheap for the amount available but it's no good if a rats head is less than 13 mm !!
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

dave45

Re: rats

20p piece innit?

Big Al

dave45 wrote:20p piece innit?
Don't know, but thanks. Off to measure a 20 p peice now
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

boboff

I think your 13mm will be fine.

A "professional" Rat Catcher once told me that to be "vermin proof" no bigger than a pencil!

Hyjacking your thread I was reading the other day about cheap alternatives to Rat Poison.

Aparently Anti freeze is good, and also Powdered Pollyfiller, mixed in with wheat. Anyone have anymore?
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Big Al

boboff wrote:I think your 13mm will be fine.

A "professional" Rat Catcher once told me that to be "vermin proof" no bigger than a pencil!

Hyjacking your thread I was reading the other day about cheap alternatives to Rat Poison.

Aparently Anti freeze is good, and also Powdered Pollyfiller, mixed in with wheat. Anyone have anymore?
Bleach tablets.

I buy them and they don't half make the rats jump. They can't resist a little nibble and then the saliva mixes with the chemicals....

I was aware of the pencil trick but I'd heard it for mice. Looking into this subject more there are things called sticky traps wich sound like very sticky superglue in boxes and these stick the rats to them. The blurb states " do not put these near where children play as there can often be screams heard as the rats pull bits of their bodies off to escape"

..... I want some.....

Thanks boboff
Secret Asparagus binger

SouthernDave
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

The pencil guide is correct. Most mice and young rat will get through anywhere you can push a pencil. Best thing for both is remove the food source, I appreciate that's not easy with chickens though.

Second best is killing rats as soon as sighted. Best methods I have used are airguns (use responsibly and in accordance with good practice - see the BASC website for guidelines), or battery powered Zappers. Google 'ratzapper' for a clean, self contained humane rat trap. Sorry no links, but rules and all that.... :lol:

Gert
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 51.126621
longitude: -1.933950

Hi Big Al

Glad to hear that you are getting or have chickens now. Sorry I don't have any better answers about the rat issue, As I shoot them like SouthernDave. But taking the feeder out of the run at night is a good move.

Hope all is well up north.

bonniethomas06

Oooh that is so mean guys!! I know they are vermin, but c'mon, rat poison isn't exactly expensive, we bought a huge tub from the big orange diy shop for about £7 - much cheaper than polyfilla and it lasts for ages...I am under no illusions that poisoning rats is cruel - but at least do it in the most humane way you can afford?
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Millymollymandy

Sickened by the glue trap :pukeright: - but poisoning the big ones isn't very nice for them either, which is why ours get shot if we find one dying. Have no choice but to put rat poison down for them though at certain times of the year (notably after the harvest in next door field), otherwise we'd be overrun with them. :(
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

bonniethomas06

I agree MMM, I hate using poison but as we aren't home during the day and only for a couple of hours in the evening, we haven't seen one yet, alive or dead! I would prefer to shoot them...or even drop a brick on them, anything quick really.

Eww, what a horrible subject!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

minesamojito
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I did the sticky trap for mice, as they seemed immune to mousetraps, it worked a treat but was horrible having to kill them, don't think you can use sticky traps effectively outside as they may catch anything on them
cheers
marcus
My outdoor cooking and eating blog
http://countrywoodsmoke.wordpress.com

SouthernDave

Did you guys look up the Ratzapper? Those sticky traps are cruel and they can make your house stink if you forget to check them. Sometimes the rats/mice will chew their legs off to escape as well.....

The Ratzapper is great. Battery powered, kills instantly, no mess, alerts you when it has done one and you don't have to handle the vermin either. Best alternative to shooting or poison.

w w w DOT ratzapper DOT com