What to do with Stilton?

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
fluffy
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

What to do with Stilton?

Hi,

I have been given free :cheers: a very large stilton cheese with quite a short sell by date (18th June). Now I like stilton (broccoli and stilton soup especially mmmmn), but am not quite sure i'll be able to eat it all. It weighs 5lb 3oz, so quite a lot of cheese.

I am not sure but think that this is not safe after the use by date cause of bacteria in it, but is there any way of preserving it any longer or what can I do with it?

Many thanks

fluffy
x

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What to do with Stilton?

If that really is a "sell by" date rather than a "use by" date, then your cheese has quite a bit of life left in it yet. It'll keep in the fridge at least for another two weeks, and probably longer - getting beautifully ripe all of the time.

Mike

EDIT: Just re-read your post. Make that at least a month in the fridge.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

pelmetman
A selfsufficientish Regular

Stilton Burgers....... as it is the BBQ season :cooldude: ................My Stilton buger recipe is Mince, Onion, Parsely, Salt, Pepper, English Mustard and of course Stilton.

First fry the onions on a low heat just enough to soften them, then combine everything in a bowel, divide into burger size portions and put a lump of Stilton in the middle :mrgreen: ...........Yum Yum :thumbright:

One for the winter, Steak & Stilton Pie

:pirate:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

send some to me !!!!!!
Sarah :flower:

Rosendula

We had Stilton and bacon scrambled eggs today. The other day I did an Impossible Pie with Stilton. I meant to put broccoli in it but I forgot :roll: . I felt quite proud of myself though because I actually got my OH and DS to eat 'mouldy cheese' and waited until they'd decided they liked it before I told them it was there. They didn't like it before :wink:
Rosey xx

southeast-isher

Make a delicious stilton salad by dicing it, throwing in some avacado and other diced salad, oh and some pistacchios etc yum... my favourite.

oldjerry

Firstly,I agree with Mike it'll keepfar beyond the sell by date.
Any blue cheese melted gently and mixed with double cream, twist of black pepper, (ratio cream/cheese depends on strength of cheese and your personal taste(quite a bit of cream with stilton) makes a really good sauce for spaghetti or linguine. Enjoy!

gregorach

Best before dates on cheese are ridiculous. Stilton usually isn't even properly ripe by the time it hits its "best before" date - it's more like a "best after" date!
Cheers

Dunc

boboff

Agreed, Best Before Dates on cheese are more to do with stock rotation and improving sales, especially a blue cheese, which is safely innoculated from additional bugs by being full of the tasty kind!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

fluffy

Hi sorry it says "Use by date" not "sell buy" a girl from work ordered it by mistake and it was for the deli counter (we don't have a deli counter) obviously it was meant to be cut into pieces and sold. She has just started the ordering so she just gave it away!

Does this effect the advice you have all given me about not worrying too much? I will def try the sauce and linguine (I love pasta) and the burgers and think I will try and freeze the rest, but would still be keen to keep some in the freeze for crackers and my soup.

Thanks for all your advice everyone :)

Fluffy
x

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Doesn't affect it at all. Apart from the frozen stuff, any that you keep in the fridge will inform you quite effectively when it's past its best. Believe me, you'll know if that happens. Apart from that, it's cheese - it's meant to be a preserved item of foodstuff. And, as far as Stilton goes, the older the better as far as I'm concerned.

Mike

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

I agree with all other helpful posts. I was raised to just cut the the actual new mould off the sides and carry on eating it.
Another recipe though is to make an incision in a breast of chicken shove a wedge of Stilton in the hole. wrap a slice of bacon ( recipe says streaky but any bacon will do) secure with a cocktail stick and put in a lidden casserole dish. chuck in some sliced mushrooms garlic and a glug of white wine stick in the oven for a while (dunno about 20+ mins) just keep checking it. when its done hoick it all out and mix a little cornflower in to thicken the sauce if you need to. oh forgot the obvious salt and pepper malarkey.
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

fluffy

Well thanks again MKG and thanks Trinder (chicken sounds delish). I am off work tomorrow so I am going to sort it out, make soup, freeze some portions of cheese and have some with pasta for my dinner. Glad to hear it will let me know, I suppose it will stink to high heaven.

I was also wondering how best to store it in the fridge. Would you suggest just wrapped in greaseproof paper? I know it is not best to store it in clingfilm as it sweats, but not sure what is the best way.

Thanks all

Fluffy
x

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Greaseproof is just about ideal, I would have said.

Mike

Kaizoku
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

trinder wrote:I agree with all other helpful posts. I was raised to just cut the the actual new mould off the sides and carry on eating it. ....
I always thought that, but read something recently that said that isn't the full story since by the time you notice it on the surface you're only seeing surface spores and roots/branches etc are in place below it producing the toxins. Recommends you cut an inch off hard cheese to be safe. It doesn't mention Stilton though

Here's the link : http://lifehacker.com/5808164/its-not-o ... he-surface