Going car-free(ish)

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
benjaminlanglois
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 49.1734
longitude: -2.0861

Going car-free(ish)

I know I'm the newest member here (I'm under an hour old!) but I already have a personal announcement - starting from today I am limiting my car usage to a measly 15-20 miles per week - I'm going car-free(ish). This should be just enough for only the most important trips (emergencies, short-notice travel, etc); for all other travel I shall be using that most ancient form of transport - leg power.

It shouldn't be too difficult for me as I live on a nine-miles-by-five island so nothing is more than two or three hours away by foot and I am physically able, but I'm interested in anybody else who has done something like this.

The reason I'm posting this is not for praise but because I know that if I commit myself publicly like this I will not go back on my word.

Save the planet whilst saving a small fortune - perfect solution :icon_smile:

Benjamin Langlois madman or genius? Visit my website

Photographs on my Flickr profile
Stalk me on Twitter

Carltonian Man
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Going car-free(ish)

I'm doing it. A couple of years back I was annually knocking up 45,000 car miles (work related). Through personal management I reduced that back to 36,000 but since jumping ship just over a year ago I've done less than 2,000 miles and it's still dropping. Last week I only did 1.2 miles. Since walking more I'm also seeing so much more, best of luck with it. :salute:

Merry

I remember some years ago I went on holiday in Jersey - in the days when I still went away on holiday - and found the round-island bus service really useful.
Does it still operate?
Good luck with your resolution! :icon_smile:
We are stardust, we are golden, and we`ve got to get ourselves back to the garden.

benjaminlanglois
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

@Carltonian Man: Thanks for your comment; it's reassuring to know that it is actually possible. What you mention is actually one of the reasons I am doing this - I feel with a car life becomes too rushed; I want to reconnect with the environment and notice new things.

@Merry: The bus service has undergone quite a radical over-haul in recent years (for the better). There are now many more routes (the 'normal' routes and the 'tourist' routes). Come back - we need all the tourism we can get here!

I'll be going for a long walk with my camera later this morning to test my legs out - I'm a sucker for a competition and the photo comp. here has got my competitive urges going!

Stalk me on Twitter

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Well, since we're going public I'll announce my plans and see if it works for me (the sticking to it because it's public bit :? )

We've recently started walking again, both for health reasons and because we live in one of the most beautiful places and often only see it through the window :oops: :lol:

We are highly car dependent here - as many of you know our main shopping is done in Inverness (only once a month fortunately) which is a 200 mile round trip. But we regularly have to nip up to the Spar to top up bits towards the end of the month - milk etc. We usually drive.

So we talked about this a few days ago and our plan is to stop buying milk from T£sco and walk to the shop every morning. It's only a mile away but up hill and down dale all the way so pretty good exercise. I'm guessing the reduced weight might just save me a bit of petrol too.

We still have milk in at the moment so I've been walking down to the beach instead :cheers: :lol:

Good luck with your endeavours Benjamin. We can prop each other up - albeit from a distance :lol: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

benjaminlanglois
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

And good luck to you too Green Aura; I'm sure we'll both be better off for it. Just thinking this might catch on - I know I'm new here and all but how does a 'Public Pledge' thread sound? :icon_smile:

Stalk me on Twitter

happyhippy

I'd love to be car free again!I was without a car for a few years,I was lucky enough to be able to walk to work from where we used to live.Not anymore though! :( We moved last year and due to lack of public transport to where I need to go to for work,I had to buy a car!I used to love walking to work,and walking home from work used to be good for unwinding!I am trying to look for either a more local job,or one where I could use public transport but no success as yet!I know if I had to manage without my car,I would'nt miss it one bit!!!!

fran
Living the good life
Living the good life

Get a bike and then you probably wouldn't have to use the car at all! I have just got one and am having a wonderful time on it.
Working towards living the dream on a barge.

my blog about the barge: http://www.fran-bonnieofclyde.blogspot.com

george
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I don't have a car. 18 months ago I moved to a small town and didn't buy a car because it didn't seem necessary. I have a bike which I use most of the time for getting around - I can get anywhere in town in about 15 minutes and luckily it is mostly flat with a few hills at the edges. If I don't feel like cycling then I can walk. To get out of town there is a good bus service luckily. I really don't miss having a car and I actually really enjoy cycling about town plus it is great exercise.

I will probably be getting a new job next year (good news) but it is 30km away and not served by public transport so I think I will have to get a car for that (it is over a really big hill so it is not possible to cycle). If I do get a car I am going to try and resist using it except for the trip to and from work and stick with my bike around town.

Good luck with your car free challenge.

sheena
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Myself and the oh have been totally car free now for almost one year and if we can do it anyone can!!!!!!!!!!!!
Believe me it took a while to get used to it, but it was the best thing that we have done in a long time, there are just so many ways in which we have benefitted from this; we actually spend more time together doing things and things that we may have taken for granted in the past don't get overlooked anymore - we live surrounded by the irish sea and have been lucky enough to be able to forage along the coast paths, which has been better than any holiday that i have been on in a long time!
It has increased our activity rate and increased the pounds in our pocket also.
So keep up the good intentions and enjoy that exercise.

ina

sheena wrote:Myself and the oh have been totally car free now for almost one year and if we can do it anyone can!!!!!!!!!!!!
Am I allowed to disagree?

Yes, I could live without a car - if I was prepared to live without income; or prepared to move to a council house in an area that is so rundown that nobody else in their right mind would want to live there, for reasons of safety and sanity.

I got my first car at around 45 years of age; up until then I'd been lucky to find both work and accommodation where I didn't need one. In this day and age, you take what you get; I'd love to be able to live without!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Badmonkey
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I am lucky to have my health so I cycle to work whenever I can, (depends on what shifts i`m working), the rising cost of petrol makes it more sensible anyway...but the one thing that is truly awful is the so many near misses I have by stupid ignorant impatient motorists!!! aaarggggghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!. That aside, I switched to smaller car and try not to use it regular, coupled with the fact the exercise I was getting I stopped my gym membership...saved myself small fortune :-)

johnnyherb
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I only use my car at weekends,shopping,days out,and taking the wife to work.I,m fairly lucky for work as i have a company van for use so i dont need to use my car for that.
We have decided to ditch the car at the end of the month and start using public transport/walk/or bike.

@ina yes i do live in a council house(which i have now bought)and not all council estates are run down,or unsafe!!!! :angryfire:

that_sarah_girl
Tom Good
Tom Good

ina wrote:
sheena wrote:Myself and the oh have been totally car free now for almost one year and if we can do it anyone can!!!!!!!!!!!!
Am I allowed to disagree?

Yes, I could live without a car - if I was prepared to live without income; or prepared to move to a council house in an area that is so rundown that nobody else in their right mind would want to live there, for reasons of safety and sanity.
I agree...

It would be incredibly awkward to get my son to his grandparents house (childcare), get to work, then pick him up again and get home for his bedtime at 7pm every day.
And then there's picking up my stepkids from their mum's house every weekend. They live about 20 miles away, I wouldn't want to put them through getting trams and trains in rush hour on a Friday.

We've talked about going car-free as they cost so much to run (tax/MOT/petrol) but at the moment we just can't see a way.

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

i have no car
but do ride my moterbike into london each day 44 miles round trip
and up to boyfriend once every 2 weeks 180 miles
woulds be great to use trains but 1 day into london on the train is a weeks petrol money and a extra 2 hours traveling
so more child care cost so on a money front it don't make sence
but me and the boys go every were on foot and trains off to scotland tomorrow on train camping
Darn that Wabbit