survive?!?!?!

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
JulieSherris
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: survive?!?!?!

Because we're right on the Roscommon/Mayo/Galway border, we're actually up fairly high!

The eldest is seeing a guy in Monaghan, so she does the drive every weekend - well, nearly every weekend, so if she can do it.... :lol:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Big Al

Mrs H wrote:Hi spuddle, apologies for the late reply! Being that my background is farming giving up meat isn't really an option! How would farmers survive if everyone gave up meat? Also with regards slaughter costs, we raise r own chickens and I slaughter them my self so no cost there! We need animals on this planet for us all to survive. I have total respect for your views and choice to be veggie but if everyone took that opinion there would be lots of homeless farmers and our countryside would be derelict. Xxx!

I've never seen a poor farmer yet, whinging ones yes but never a poor farmer. I was veggie for 9 years until Hartlepool United, Whitby town FC and a fish shop converted me back. I'd be interested in the reasoning behind needing animals to survive though.

The fact is we do need farmers as the gaurdians of the countryside and more power to their elbows and all. It's only a pity that farmers don't get paid for all the red tape they have to use and I'd prefer to see food imports reduced and eventually banned for food stuffs we can grow / rear ourselves but that will never happen.

BA
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

oldjerry

Al, farmers do get paid for all the red tape,it's called a single farm payment.Most farmers and smallholders get it,and thats what causes a lot of the red tape...effectively they create red tape then pay you for doing it! There are other payments such as Enviromental Stewardship stuff which means more red tape,and as long as you dont bulldoze the holding and concrete it,a bit more money.
As for the animals,they are essential to the maintenance of the landcape,through grazing etc.,in the general appearance you see today.( though in places completely inappropriate animal husbandry ruins the landscape).Wether you kill these animals and eat them,or keep them as ornaments and at the end of their lives hold a funeral with full military honours,dont really matter too much,you wont maintain the landscape people reckon they like in the UK without them.
As for importing food,apart from the odd spice and beverage(which should be subject to massive duties)I 'd just ban it,and I'm talking imports into the county.....no misprint.

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Of course we need animals to survive! Putting aside the simple raising them and eating them! They play a key factor in the ecosystem of life. They graze, they crap, they fertalize the land, they spread seed threw this process. If we are talking about animals as a whole and not specifically farm animals then let's look at the current plight of British bees, are they not under attack from some disease which could potentially wipe them out? Without bees, we have no pollination therefore pretty much wiping out arable farming, veg growers etc as it all requires pollination.
If we return to specifically farm animals and pull away from the food aspect, no cows, no leather, no shoes, no sheep, no wool, no jumpers etc now it gets pretty cold here and I don't really fancy a jumper handwoven from grass (remembering we will hav a good bit as we won't hav any animals to graze it!!) That in turn leads you done man made fibres, now surely more damage is done to the environment in the production of these artificial fibres? People don't realize how much we realy do rely on animals and their by products and the systems they keep alive.
As for poor farmers, I've seen first hand many struggling, holding it together by a shoestring. They may whinge but they hav they work in a harsh, somedays thankless job for not much return to the amount of work they put in.
Ur import suggestion Oj, I'm quite keen to keep them as I drive an old landy defender and she takes a fair lock of juice to keep her goin and with the best will in the world it aint goin to be produced in the Uk! ;) Xx

oldjerry

Hmm...so what's bio-fuel then? Any how your local takeaway could subsidise your running costs,a lot of people round here run LDs(mostly old discos,cheaper,more comfy) on re-used chip oil.Nice smell when you follow them too.

cocobelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I hope you're getting along ok. Sounds to me that you are pretty clued up about what you are doing and how to go about it. Interesting reading about your experience. Best wishes.
Organic Baby Clothes made with natural, sustainable fabrics.

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi guys, just thought I'd post a quick update and answer my own question! How do I survive? By changing my mindset and adopting a whole new more fulfilling way of life. Don't get me wrong its not all a bed of roses but our lives now are fab! We moved house there to a smaller cottage but with more land, hubbie is busy making chain saw sculptures in the outhouse using free wood and I knit and sew stuff to sell indoors while caring for everyone. Hubbie is getting to see the kids grow up and they r certainly benefiting from having him at home and from growing r own veg, keeping animals etc.
Its still early days but my goal to prove that redundancy can be a good thing is within sight. We would never have chosen for my oh to give up work because we didn't see how we would cope but forced into coping, we r doing it and enjoying it as well.
Thanku all for all the support on here and listening to my rants!! Xxx

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Excellent news, Mrs H - we all knew you could do it!

I love chainsaw sculptures. Any chance of any pics????
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

boboff

You would be better off making sculptures of Ducks, and dogs and lions, chainsaws are very boring as an ornament! (Smiley face to imply that it is a joke)
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Good for you!

You're an inspiration :salute:
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Green Aura wrote:Excellent news, Mrs H - we all knew you could do it!

I love chainsaw sculptures. Any chance of any pics????
Ill get oh to take some pics and upload them.

Can't do multi quotes on my phone!!
Boboff ur hilarious, ur posts always guarantee me a laugh!! Xx

Zach, thanku!! Xxx

spider8

Although I have read this topic with interest and good wishes to Mrs H on her success, as my lovely husband has just been made redundant it will be really poignant. We moved to Orkney 3 years ago as it was our dream and he could work for this firm from home (been with them for 4 1/2 years). Luckily he made sure his contract included giving him 3 months notice, the other poor sods have just 28 days. There was no hint of trouble, no one had a clue and now 40% of the workforce has been culled. Can't see him getting a job here and don't know what the future holds (we are in a rented cottage). I'm sick with worry for what this will do to him.
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

spider8 wrote:I'm sick with worry for what this will do to him.
I understand, happened to us earlier this year :hugish: I hope it all works out.
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Spider8 I've sent u a wee pm. Xx

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

@Mrs H: Seriously chuffed that your life is looking up...been thining of you & sending 'positive thoughts'

@Spider8 :hugish: :hugish: :hugish: Can't add many words, as they would probably sound patronising (as I'm useless at such things) but will send love :hugish: :hugish: :hugish:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!