Making plant food ?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Making plant food ?

So I plan to have lots growing in pots again this year, BUT I also plan on looking after them a little better esp feeding !

Before I head out and buy loads of tom/plant food what can I make myself ? should I invest in a wormerie ? [had one before and killed the critters] or could I make one ? I have chickens, am I right in thinking I could make chook poo soup ? also have a couple of comfrey plants and plan on getting more when they are available.

Any other suggestions ? Thanks
Sarah :flower:

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

Re: Making plant food ?

Comfrey leaves can be harvested 3 to 4 times a year for use as: a mulch, to place in planting holes for potatoes or tomatoes and can also be added to your compost heap to increase bacterial activity and decomposition. Leaves can also be submerged in water, by weighting, in a sealed container, for example a large barrel, and after several months the smelly juice can be diluted with 10:1 parts of water for use a liquid fertiliser. A liquid fertiliser which is rich in potassium, potash, nitrogen and phosphorous but must be used within six months.

grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

Okra, do you know the reason why the comfrey juice has to be used within 6 months?

chadspad

Nettles make great plant food. Just add to a bucket of water for 3 or 4 weeks then dilute to use. Dont leave the bucket too near the hosue tho - it stinks :mrgreen:
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

Carltonian Man

Seaweed liquid feed. Wash the salt out and stick it in a bucket of water. Ready to use in a couple of days and it smells lovely (like the sea). Good as a foliar or root feed. Keep topping the bucket up with water until it’s spent then dig it into the soil as a conditioner.

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

chadspad wrote: it stinks :mrgreen:
I use a big bucket with a lid (an empty trade paint bucket well cleaned) to keep the pongs down and put a tap in to make it easier to fill bottles (old plastic milk containers) with the liquid when I want to use some.

They manure around here a lot anyway so I just don't mention that I'm making plant food to anyone and I suppose they all just assume that there's been more manuring going on :iconbiggrin:

Jill