Wind turbines on your door step?

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wind turbines on your door step?

chilitony wrote:So i would rather look at and put up with wind mills, as they will be called in times to come :pale:
Or Windy Millers as they're known in our house. :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

spider8
A selfsufficientish Regular

Windy Whappers in ours. We were talking about this and as it's been said many times on here, we'd prefer that to nuclear power station any day. We love the way the wind turbine looks and as we have one about a mile away (as the crow flies) and can see it from our house, have no objections.
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

paul123456
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

hello there ,

wind turbines are not wanted by one crowd
nuclear is not wanted by the other crowd ,
coal power station is not wanted by greenpeace ( the idiots have "blocked" the Eemshaven NL )
solar panel production is to polutive,

what do we want , plenty electricity for all our stupid lcd , mobiles , pc's , microwaves ,but it cant be polutive ?
Let's go back and live in a cave then .

regards ,

paul

Renewable
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

There are thousands of wind turbines all across France. There are quite a lot within a mile or so of our holiday home in Brittany.
They were interesting to look at the first few times we drove past now we do not even notice them.
The planet needs protecting and these generators need installing as soon as possible, everywhere.
Brittany is a beautiful place with turbines, I live in Poole which is a beatiful place near the New Forest which is another beatiful place and I would NOT object to turbines in either.
I think the objectors to renewable progress should have restrictions put on their personal energy usage.
I live in a property with solar PV , solar thermal and an air source heat pump, virtually every thing we own is "A" rated or low energy ,not only to help the planet , it also helps our finances.

contadina

I live in the region with the most wind power in Italy, but it still doesn't stop unfounded objections from putting the occasional spanner in the works. One of the objections for wind turbines in my local town, for example, was that they kill children. Beggars belief really, unless you are Geoff Capes :wink: .

wulf

I would be very happy to have wind turbines in my back yard (well, perhaps not IN my backyard - I need that space for growing stuff - but certainly in the neighbourhood). Would the noise be worse than the ring road I live nearby? Probably not (and, even with the ring road, I can ignore it most of the time or pretend it is sea washing on the shore!).

There used to be a visitors centre for the turbines at Delabole in Cornwall (not sure if it is there any more) and, even walking under them, they weren't offputting. Think of them as dynamic art installations dotted round the landscape.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

paul123456
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

hello there ,

so wind generators make noise .So do all other things .CO2 and Uranium waste does not , what do you prefer ?
If we do not want wind generators in our back yard , then build them in the sea , which is allready happening.

regards ,

Paul

roger ramjet
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Haven't you guys noticed that when we had all that really cold weather in December that there was almost no wind; hence no power from the turbines. Wind turbines are an expensive waste of money. I have never seen one economic argument that convinces me that any more should be erected.

Apart from anything else the ones erected in or near to National Parks or beautiful countryside create a visual eyesore.

Roger Ramjet

solarwind

Roger,

The occasional lack of wind does mean wind turbines are unable to produce power, but this pales into insignificance when compared to the decomissioned nuclear power stations which will continue to be eyesores for many years to come whilst costing a fortune to look after, and producing no electricity whatsoever!

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Roger Ramjet,

What wind turbine objectors don't seem to take into account is that while wind turbines are producing electricity, oil, gas and coal does not need to be burned. The benefit is obvious. As to the nuclear option, the amount of energy that goes into the building, maintainance and decommissioning them far exceeds their output of energy. As energy sinks they are therefore not economically viable, the only reason govenrments favour them is the amount of weapons grade plutonium they produce.

The energy demands of the future dictate a mixed pattern of generation which will include wind, wave, pv, biomass and hydro on a small to medium scale. However, even this will not cope unless we all reduce our demand for energy; industrial, agricultural, domestic and transport. Unless we all prepare the other side of peak oil is going to be very uncomfortable,

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

Rosendula

Wow this thread has got big. Last time I read it there was only 2 posts! Now I find myself wanting to read the whole thread having just found out that I'm going to have wind turbines on my doorstep (well, in a dis-used dock on the other side of town about 3 miles away). Like I say, I haven't yet read all the replies here, but my gut instinct is to be excited about this.

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.u ... ticle.html
Rosey xx

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Rosie,

Thanks for the link, I read it with interest, glad that somewhere, someone will be getting employment from the turbines. Down here they closed the big wind turbine factory on the Isle of Wight with an unsuccessful sit-in over the loss of many jobs which haven't been replaced,

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

JessieMac
Tom Good
Tom Good

I''m not against wind turbines as such and have no objection to a reasonable amount in my area but thats just it what is reasonable,at the rate the planning aps are comeing in we will be lucky to have 500mtrs between them in a few years.This is an area of outstanding beauty and one of my friends who runs a B&B has already been told by one of her regular guests that if this continues they may rethink their visits,there are other things to be thought of in these matters.Will these turbines march through the Lake District or The New Forest I don't think so, there must be balance in all things to be sustainable and this is not the way to make more people rethink their lifestyle.

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

Renewable wrote:There are thousands of wind turbines all across France. There are quite a lot within a mile or so of our holiday home in Brittany.
They were interesting to look at the first few times we drove past now we do not even notice them.
The planet needs protecting and these generators need installing as soon as possible, everywhere.
Brittany is a beautiful place with turbines, I live in Poole which is a beatiful place near the New Forest which is another beatiful place and I would NOT object to turbines in either.
I think the objectors to renewable progress should have restrictions put on their personal energy usage.
I live in a property with solar PV , solar thermal and an air source heat pump, virtually every thing we own is "A" rated or low energy ,not only to help the planet , it also helps our finances.
I like the idea of restrictions for the ones who are against everything. Give them choices: We build a coal power station, a nuclear power station, a burning rubbish power station or turbines. You don't like any of them, well fine, we will cut your electricity let us say 2 days a week.

JessieMac
Tom Good
Tom Good

We have only one house a small two bedroom cottage,we get our heat and water using wood that we cut ourselves. We have a septic tank and a rainwater harvesting system. We have had one long flight and three short flights in our lives and have not been on holiday for seven years. We have one very small car and grow lots of our food,our bin goes out about four times a year everything else is recycled. We do not have a dishwasher/tv/tumble dryer or most of the power hungry things that seem to make up most lives.We buy most of our clothes from charity shops,we design and make most of our own furniture and make as little impact on the planet as we reasonably can.
I do not need nor deserve the snide comments that have been appearing in this thread and yes I could live with two days a week of power.
When I joined this forum I thought it was supportive of different viewpoints not destructive a mistake perhaps? Jessica