i love volunteering!!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

i love volunteering!!

i help out with year 6 at the local school one day a week (and get a free, home cooked lunch as thanks) and they needed knitting for one of the props for their xmas play. Sue their teacher found a ball of wool and some needles, but aparently she couldnt find anyone who can knit. i took various groups into the meeting room to hear them reading for the play and to give constructive criticism as someone who's not their teacher, and on the way out of the classroom i took the needles and wool.

came back after 15mins with a 6" square still attatched to the needles, handed it to Sue, called my next group, got a shocked thankyou and in answer I winked to her on the way out lol. i know, i normally claim to be an ardent non-knitter, but it was a job which needed doing. I even did it properly; knit 1 row, purl 1 row. i had no idea i still remembered how to do it!
just before i left to pick soph up (from her classroom in the adjoining building) i got asked very nicely if i could make some bunting from scrap fabric and/or newspaper because the one they'd been given by the PTA is made of cheapo plastic and this play is set in ww2. i said of course lol.

that morning i had been making other props so basically i spent last wednesday cutting and sticking, knitting and also did a little key stage 2 science involving yeast, sugar, warm water and balloons lol.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

prison break fan

Re: i love volunteering!!

Sounds like you had a lovely day! pbf.

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm the same, I love helping out at my sons school. It is a little country school and so homely. Before halloween break I went in and decorated buns that I had made with the whole school. My hubbie and I r goin to get cracking on their vegetable garden when we get the go ahead from the board. Its such a feel good feeling doing something for other people, a feeling that I think is being forgotten in todays modern society. My kids r making christmas cards and we r going to bake buns to take to our local nursing home on Christmas Eve as I think its so important to teach them that its good to do things for other people. X

bonniethomas06

Well done you Mrs Flib.

I love volunteering too, I rescue battery hens and help run the Slow Food market in Bristol.

It does make you feel satisfied, particularly after a long day where we are spattered with chicken poo and covered in scratches (and usually lice!) - but 360 battered, skinny little hens off to loving new homes.

Just a shame that paid jobs aren't as satisfying! (in my experience).
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Sounds like the perfect job for a crafty lady MrsF :cheers:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

bonniethomas06 wrote:
Just a shame that paid jobs aren't as satisfying! (in my experience).
took the words right out of my fingers Bonnie!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Russian Doll

im so glad your enjoying yoursel and loving the volenteering

its so important that pople volenteer these days especially with all the goverments cuts