Homemade Shampoo

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Sophie_Chillie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Homemade Shampoo

It was the last straw today - shopping for shampoo when I came accross one that had 'coconut & cotton extracts' :shaking:
Who do these companies think they are trying to kid?

So then I thought, what about making some home made shampoo and wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction for either making or buying some?

I just want something that cleans my hair - I don't want to have to decifer through 1001 varities in a shop!

Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Homemade Shampoo

Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Making your own shampoo completely from scratch is quite difficult. Ordinary liquid soap is OK but it doesn't lather up like shampoo which can leads to using more to try and get the suds. So it's then not a cheaper, or better, option.

Possibly a better idea would be to buy a simple unscented sls, sles, and paraben -free shampoo that you can add your own essential oils, herbs etc to. You might need a bit of research to find one - I think Caurny do one.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Susie

I'm agreeing with GA, it does seem quite difficult. I sometimes read a fantastic blog on making your own products and she's done a number of posts about shampoo, but be warned, she definitely doesn't come at it from a natural ingredients perspective (although she explains why she thinks the various synthetics are necessary). A lot of her recipes are entirely natural though (not the shampoo ones).

You can try using handmade soap (either yours or someone else's!) on your hair - this seems to work really well for a lot of people, although whenever I've tried it my hair ends up looking like Sideshow Bob on the Simpsons, but this might be because we have incredibly hard water. This might be worth trying though, in case you're one of the people it works well for. I'd do this if I didn't have the Sideshow Bob issue.

I believe you can also use bicarb & water but I haven't tried this - I think we've got a thread lurking about somewhere!

Good luck with it all :icon_smile: .
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

No idea about making ur own but we use halo n horns shampoo as it has no added scarey stuff in it and its great. I buy it when its on offer otherwise its quite expensive. Xx

Sophie_Chillie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thank you for all your replies - I'll do some more digging and see what I can find. My biggest bug bare is that the manufacturers insist on try to pull us in with words like cotton and pineapple etc..; etc. but when you look at the actually ingredients there is nothing in the list to suggest such 'pure' ingredients are actually used.

I never thought before but perhaps (if I go down the high street route) that Body Shop may be a good solution?

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

I use Dr Bronners http://www.drbronner.com/

Which is the best soap in my world. I love the peppermint flavour.

You can use it for cleaning pretty much anything including you teeth I think :dontknow:

I prefer the liquid version. I dilute it every time I use it (they advise this) so it lasts for ages

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

happyhippy

I sometimes use the Lush shampoo/conditioner bars(looks like a bar of soap).Don't know what this company's creds are like,but they smell pretty good and atleast you don't have to dispose of a plastic bottle!

Keaniebean

You can use it for cleaning pretty much anything including you teeth I think
Trust me, don't :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

The Riff-Raff Element

Keaniebean wrote:
You can use it for cleaning pretty much anything including you teeth I think
Trust me, don't :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright:
You mean you tried it :shock:

fran
Living the good life
Living the good life

I love Dr Bonner for using as shower gel, dog wash etc, but I found that when I tried to use it as shampoo it left my hair looking and feeling like straw.
Working towards living the dream on a barge.

my blog about the barge: http://www.fran-bonnieofclyde.blogspot.com