Not Quittin' Smoking

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Quittin' Smoking

I've smoked American Spirit and it is said to have no chemicals or less chemicals in it, i thought it was alright but the range in the UK means i only tried the one type. I think Pueblo which can get in T3scos or A5da is additive free too. Definitely use filters if you don't already! And if you want to try another type of American Spirit you may be able to order it over the net.

JulieSherris

MMM - loose baccy is exactly that - it comes in bags of 500g & the tobacconist man pops it into a huge jar. You then buy it in 25g lots - so he weighs it out in front of you.

Here's where I buy my baccy stuff.... http://www.tobaccoland.co.uk/cig.php although there's a lovely shop in Blackpool opposite M & S where the kids go for me if I just get smaller amounts. I tried to see if our local shop could get it in, but the irish laws don't allow loose baccy over here, although if he can get some in under the radar, he will!!

Packet baccy - a smaller shred & stronger baccy - you know, the standard stuff. I have to say that I prefer the loose stuff as I can make up ciggies that are just as smoke-able as the packet cigs.

I'll have a look at that thread now..... (although I should be out barrowing sand around to cover the slippy mud!!) :lol:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Millymollymandy

I'll look at your link but how much do cigs cost in Ireland? Seems a bit mad to buy tobacco from the UK which is the most expensive in the whole of Europe (sadly with France being the 2nd most expensive country). :roll:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

JulieSherris

The average pack of cigs in Ireland now is 7.50 euros - THAT'S why it's much cheaper to smoke rollies!! :lol:

I worked it out & if I smoke loose baccy exclusively, then it would cost approx 25 euros a week, taking into consideration the filters, papers & postage. Buying 3 packs of cigs is about that, so really I should be buying baccy every month!

But yeah, I should be giving up - but then I've just grown all this baccy so...... :scratch:

Millymollymandy

Cripes that's loads more expensive than England! Australia is astronomically expensive too. I wish I could cope with American taste cigarettes cos they were only around €3-4 a packet in Spain (in a motorway services vending machine so prob cheaper in the shops!), but I have to smoke English virginia type as American/European tobacco taste is not for me :pukeright: .

So we buy B&H lightest nicotine/tar content there is. Not sure how much they cost here as OH goes into the bar to buy them (that's what a tobacconist is in most of rural France - a bar that has a licence to sell fags - can't buy in supermarkets here) and bulk buys so he's not quite sure how much they cost per packet either - €5 ish or maybe €6 ish. :dontknow:

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

JulieSherris wrote:I worked it out & if I smoke loose baccy exclusively, then it would cost approx 25 euros a week
€1,200 per year to shorten your life. :scratch: Bargain I suppose! :?
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

JulieSherris

TheGoodEarth wrote: €1,200 per year to shorten your life. :scratch: Bargain I suppose! :?
Compared with hubby's 8 euro a day Guinness habit then yep, complete bargain!

The health defence here is that we have private medical insurance & yes, we pay the extra as I'm a smoker - in any case, my stance on drinking/smoking/religion is this: I don't inflict my beliefs on others & in turn ask that they don't inflict theirs on me.

Nuff said.

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

Only trying to help, the op is about quitting the weed.
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

southeast-isher

TheGoodEarth wrote:
JulieSherris wrote:I worked it out & if I smoke loose baccy exclusively, then it would cost approx 25 euros a week
€1,200 per year to shorten your life. :scratch: Bargain I suppose! :?
I think it's money well spent. Most things that enhance your quality of life are much more expensive. :-)

Millymollymandy

Call me naive here but we keep being told that we shouldn't do unhealthy things that will shorten our lives, yet people are rioting in the streets (in France anyway :iconbiggrin: ) because the pension age is being put up because old people keep living longer and longer, thus the young have got to pay for them....... :dontknow:

I do think that at some point I will split this thread as it has rather turned into the opposite to what the first 7 or so pages are about, so not really the best read now for someone trying to stop!

Millymollymandy

Re: Not Quittin' Smoking

Now managed to split the topic so this one is for the folks who want to talk about smoking...... the other original thread is for those who want to give up. :flower:

Cligereen
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Julie,

Pray do tell where I can get a packet of cigs for €7.50 because the cheapest around here (Co. Offaly) is €8.55!

I remember my Dad growing tobacco plants when I was young (just after the last ice-age). We lived in SE England. He used to just hang them in a shed until brown and then cut them up and smoke it in a pipe. It seemed to work OK. No curing, boiling, baking or frying - just smoking.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Check me out on
http://hubpages.com/_3mxsltjcamvqv/hub/ ... een-Living
My website www.fallstoppers.com

JulieSherris

Cligereen wrote:Julie,
Pray do tell where I can get a packet of cigs for €7.50 because the cheapest around here (Co. Offaly) is €8.55!

Oh! I just get mine from the local supavalu, garage, wherever? I smoke L & B silver - but I know that the john player blue is around 8.50-ish - What I should do each week, is go to one of the local towns. There's a little shop there that sells just about everything, although you have to ask them, because usually it's 'out the back'!
BUT.... under the counter, he sells cheap cigs from the ferry runs. When he first mentioned it to us, I was surprised as he didn't know us very well - then one day I saw him serve a local garda man.... :lol:

southeast-isher

Nasal snuff seems to be the way forward and i hence the word nasal as not to be confused with oral snuff taking... dipping... or Swedish snus. Nasal! So if you see someone sneezing in the street it might be me. A habit you can mix with smoking, and costs about £1 a week!

southeast-isher

If you have tried nasal snuff before, thought your choice of brand smelt like a tart's boudoir, and you sneezed your guts up then, you haven't tried Bernard's Brasil Feist. A nice schmalzer of a snuff with a gentle pleasant smell and a lovely effect. Recommended for those who want to limit the amount you smoke.

I can smoke up to 3 (big) cigars a day now! With, of course, a peppering of schmalzer here and there. Life is good!