Not Quittin' Smoking

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Quittin' Smoking

Besides, you can do both.

Millymollymandy

Oh crossed posts. How can smoking tobacco into my lungs via a pipe be better for me than cigarettes (other than the other things added to cigarettes that is)? Is rolling or pipe tobacco free from all the other dodgy chemicals added to cigs? Frankly I'd rather give up and one day I might get round to it....... :roll: I'd have thought that snuff was better for you cos it isn't going into your lungs with smoke. :dontknow:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

southeast-isher

With pipes and cigars you DO NOT inhale into lungs. I guess the odd person does but you shouldn't. The tobacco is of a higher alkalinity so it easily absorbs through the mucus membranes of your mouth. Of course any type of smoking is bad for you but pipes and cigars don't get inhaled into your lungs. Snuff is not without its risks too, to your nose - this is heavily mooted. I think that's why it is so cheap as in the UK we are not taxed on it as it is supposed to be a bit better for you. However the NRTs are not without health-risks but are considered safe as you are supposed to be off of them within say 4 months.

Millymollymandy

Impossible to smoke and not inhale if you are a cigarette smoker. That's why I can't smoke cigars. :lol:

southeast-isher

Rubbish Molly. It's so easy, just a little practice is needed.

Millymollymandy

I'm not Molly, I'm either MMM or Mandy. I don't want to not inhale. I'd rather not smoke at all.

southeast-isher

Millymollymandy wrote:I'm not Molly, I'm either MMM or Mandy. I don't want to not inhale. I'd rather not smoke at all.
I made a typo! So Mandy, it's up to you if you want to fill your lungs with smoke. I enjoy and love nicotine/tobacco more than i did when i smoked cigarettes/roll-ups now that i don't inhale (into lungs). Your choice; my choice. I try and win people over because i believe it's the way to go but no-one is forcing you!

southeast-isher

MMM, i have a brand new 7g tin of Ozona Raspberry Snuff which cost 1.75 which i can post to you if you like... makes it easy to halve the amount you smoke. Or even stop if you want to snuff alot. Benjamin Franklin did it so it must be ok!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

My gal (who doesn't smoke :roll: ) has been telling me about some rolling tobacco called American Spirit. She says it's just pure dried leaf with none of the additives found in other brands or ready rolled.

Anyone know anything about it. I have to admit I'm finding it difficult to stop smoking at the moment - when things are a little fraught fags are my mainstay. I prefer roll ups but they tend to be a bit strong (being a Silk Cut Silver kinda gal :lol: ) - anyone got any ideas how to make roll-ups less strong?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

gregorach

American Spirit is not a bad baccy, but the only one you can get in the UK (as far as I know) is the pure Virginia, which I never liked (I was always a halfzware guy). If you're a fan of blond baccy, it's dandy.

As for making rollies less strong - just put less baccy in!
Cheers

Dunc

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

People already think I've done time, gregorach - I apparently roll the perfect Strangeways Special (or Barlinnie or Parkhurst.......) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

gregorach

Yeah, I used to get that a lot too... :iconbiggrin:
Cheers

Dunc

JulieSherris

Green Aura wrote:I have to admit I'm finding it difficult to stop smoking at the moment - when things are a little fraught fags are my mainstay. I prefer roll ups but they tend to be a bit strong (being a Silk Cut Silver kinda gal :lol: ) - anyone got any ideas how to make roll-ups less strong?
Ooh! Ooh! I know the answer to this one Maggie!!

OK, I like rollies - I also like shop ciggies too, so I tend to smoke both. Now, packet baccy is too strong... and after a bit, I feel a bit queasy (and yes, this should be the signal to stop, right?) Anyway, I'm stubborn, so I buy loose baccy - normally I get 50g of Kendal Light for every 25g of golden virgina or old holborn, or whatever packet baccy I have & I mix it.
Loose baccy can be bought from any decent tobacconists - try the pipe/cigar shops & they will have it in those sweetie type jars.

I also use slim filters & a rolly machine, because I'm rubbish at rolling! Once mixed, it all smokes great & if it's still too strong, then just use the Kendal light - which works out a LOT cheaper anyway!
Ta-Da! It can also be bought online if you can't get it local to you.
We can't buy loose baccy at all over here & even ciggies in 10's are banned, so I get my youngest to post me over 100g at a time, or I buy a full 500g bag direct from one of the online shops. With papers & filters as well, it justifies the postage costs.

Also...... I have several (about 20!) bunches of baccy leaves hanging in my hayshed. Once they are dried & soft, you DO have to boil the nicotine out of the leaves, else they will be VERY strong, but there are several ways of doing it & heaps of info out there - I can send a bunch over if you want to try Maggie?? Let me have your address & I'll pop a bunch or two in the post when it's ready. :iconbiggrin:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Millymollymandy

OOh Julie where were you when we needed you? There's a recent thread there where a lot of us were kindly send Golden Virginia tobacco seeds by Prison Break Fan, and we were discussing curing methods. I knew you and Camile had dabbled in this.

I'll try to find the thread....

Millymollymandy

Here it is http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... =1&t=20972

Now I need to read thru your postings again as I'm sooooo lost, what on earth is the difference between packet baccy and loose baccy, it's all loose isn't it? :lol: And do those smoking type shops still exist which sell pipes and all things to do with smoking? :shock: :shock: :shock: I've never seen anything like that in France.

And I'll think about the snuff, SE Isher, give me a mo. :iconbiggrin: