get the right zipper foot or put zip in by hand?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

get the right zipper foot or put zip in by hand?

Hello :wave:

I am trying to make some seat pads for our dining room chairs. So far I have sewed three sides round some old cushion pads, so it LOOKS like a seat pad.
cushionforweb.jpg
cushionforweb.jpg (18.92 KiB) Viewed 3251 times
I bought zips & tapes to tie the cushions to the chair spindles but am stuck now! Apparantly different sewing machines need different zipper feet mine is an old machine (don't know how old but the base is wood, so quite old I imagine). It's a Necchi Sewline 20, which means nothing to me. How can I find out what zipper foot I need for this machine, or can I put in a zip by hand?

I've never done a zip before and have googled putting in a zip by hand but can't find anything. Is this simply not done?!

Any help would be appreciated as I'm stumped :dontknow:

Cheers, Jill :pirate:

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: get the right zipper foot or put zip in by hand?

I've often put in zips by hand; it looks better and is more durable with the machine, but there's not a lot of strain on it if it's just for a cushion, so I'd just do it by hand! Don't really know how to describe it - just fit it in with pins and sow... :oops: (You'll need to keep it open for sewing, so you can get some of your fingers behind, I guess.)
Last edited by ina on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

julie_lanteri
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi
if you've done 3 sides already it's too late to put the zip with the machine neatly so I second Ina and vote for hand stitch. press your seam allowance first (with iron) so it's easier to pin in position and stitch. good luck!
If you're planning on making more, a zipper foot is very handy. I usually put the zip first then sew the 3 sides.

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

There's a special foot for zippers? I always just used the regular foot and it worked just fine.

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thank you :hugish:

Now I just need to find the zips ahem ...I must have been tidying up again, can't find the dratted things anywhere! :lol:

AHA! I spy them :pirate:

Anyone have any thoughts on how to know which zipper foot to buy? As I'm wanting to do some draught excluders next and given the state of the floors :oops: I think washable would be good!

Jill :sunny:

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

Keith!This is good news. I have no idea why you need a special foot for zips but every time I tell anyone what I'm doing they say "Have you got a zipper foot" and I say "No" and they tut-tut and shake their heads.

I am happy to hear you can use a normal foot.

:cheers:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

With a proper zipper foot you can sew closer to the teeth and sew down either side from the same end (by moving the foot over to the other side of the needle. It's usually standard kit with a sewing machine - are you sure you don't have one already?

If you don't already know it'll look something like this
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... CCgQ9QEwAA

It's a bit late now but have you thought of using a bit more fabric and making an envelope style cover - like a pillowcase, with a piece at the end which is folded over before you sew up the seams. Dead easy and you don't need to worry about sewing in zips :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Sinmara
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I wouldn't be able to sew zips without my zipper foot... I'm utterly useless when I sew by hand (plus waaay to lazy...) :-D
my Deviant Art page

Sinmara77 on Twitter

julie_lanteri
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Green Aura said it all already:
can sew closer to the teeth (also no problems when getting close to the pull thingy)
usually part of the standard kit

one thing: they are not all double sided though. the one that comes with my machine can only be used on one side (what was TOYOTA thinking???) It looks like a normal presser foot cut in half. I find one like Green Aura's linked pic for a few ££ (on eBay if I remember well).
If you've got a clip on foot you can also get : (you can clip on both sides to have the needle on the right or on the left)
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... 56&bih=599

witchwoo
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

you could if you wanted not use a zip, either buttons and button holes, ribbons to each side and bow, or velcro just to name a few :icon_smile:

Sinmara

julie_lanteri wrote:If you've got a clip on foot you can also get : (you can clip on both sides to have the needle on the right or on the left)
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... 56&bih=599
That's the one I have too. Invaluable foot for sewing! I use it for other bits as well (like piping)
my Deviant Art page

Sinmara77 on Twitter

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks everyone! Thankyou for the zipperfoot pics & tips, I sort of get it now I think :thumbright:

I am using the centre cloths from the tables at our wedding ... I made them so they would be a good size to make cushions from after but then we had to add an extra table as I did my sums wrong so there was no fabric spare for envelope flaps. hence the zips ... I hadn't thought of ribbons and buttons would mean button holes which I've never done before and prob don't have the right foot for either (if you need a foot for buttons)? :dontknow:

This is good though as I have been avoiding zips for too long and it is making me get on with it. :cheers:

I've tacked the first zip in place and then sewn in the tapes I'm going to use to tie the cushion to the spindles. The ends are going to be a bit bodged as i haven't thought that bit through! :pirate:

Ellendra

I usually sew with just the regular foot, not the zipper foot. As for sewing closer to the teeth, I usually have the opposite problem. I sew too close to the teeth and the stitches get caught by the zipper.

contadina

If you have lots to do and no zipper foot, I'd be inclined to attach ribbons (or bias binding) on each hemmed edge - easier, rustic chic :iconbiggrin: