Blackberry wine

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Gem
Living the good life
Living the good life

Blackberry wine

My 2 demijohns of blackberry wine have a layer of white scum/mould growning on the top. It literally turned up over night.

I think I know what response I will get but any chance of salvaging the wine?? Such a shame to waste two whole gallons of blackberry wine :pale:

Gemx

gregorach
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Blackberry wine

Depends how bad it is... If it's not very bad, I wouldn't worry too much, and I would never throw something out unless you're absolutely sure that it's knackered - i.e. you've tasted it and it's vile. Never ditch something just on suspicion!

Try racking the wine off from underneath.
Cheers

Dunc

Gem
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thats what I was thinking, its due to be racked this weekend anyway so I may throw a couple of camden tablets in. The white layer is def only surface so should be easy to remove without disturbing it too much..

Thanks for the advice

Gem

ps Can you tell I'm a newbie to the whole wine making malarky? :)

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you're racking at any time (and you don't object to Campden tablets on principle), then it's always wise to use one (or, as you say, two in the case of possible infection). Your white scum could actually be yeast rather than mould or bacteria. Smell it - if it doesn't make you go green, it's saveable.

What recipe did you use?

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)