Woolly Pully

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
cafe_tom
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Woolly Pully

If I've put this in the wrong place, please feel free to punt it to wherever it should go.
Ok, I want a pully for winter, nowt wrong with that you say, but I would quite like it to be knitted from oiled yarn, as I understand this provides a good amount of weather protection.
Now the problem I have here is that I cant knit. I tried many years ago, and failed.
Continuously.
I have been looking for someone to knit me a pully from said yarn, as it seems hard to find a ready made pully in it. Also, I have no idea of what to expect to pay for said item, what I am looking for really is advice on anyone that could do it, and what it would cost me?
Sorry for the broad topic, but any recommendations would be really appreciated.
Thanks
T
Bored? Try My Blog
Really bored? Read My Book

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Woolly Pully

I think you might be talking a lot of money Tom. Unless you can sweet talk someone into it. :lol:

Before you dismiss the idea of knitting it entirely google knitting tutorials - there are loads of different ways to knit and you might find one that suits. Try "continental knitting" for one. Or crocheting - you can crochet a jumper to look very similar to a knitted one using the most basic crochet stitches. And I find it quicker than knitting.

Alternatively, have you had a look at Army and Navy stores - or people who supply the fishing industry. They're bound to have something of that nature.

Good luck :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Find a local WI, ur bound to come across someone who would knit it for you. You could barter some of ur skills for it, worth a try. Good luck. Xx

cafe_tom

Thanks for the pointers both, I already tried the local knitting guilds, and they weren't interested.
Oh and GA, crochet you say? How about this? :drunken:
Bored? Try My Blog

bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

Do you need to be able to lift your arms above your head in it? If not, then I can knit you one!(oh and neck holes are also a bit of a problem) :lol:

Knitting is hard - wish I could help. Surely there must be a granny out there who would appreciate the extra income and knits things in front of the television all the time anyway? ('scuse the stereotype)

Unbelievable that there is nobody out there willing to do it. I got talking to the ladies in the haberdashery/wool department of John Lewis once, they said they pay someone to make up the jumpers from the patterns they sell, so that you can see what your jumper could look like.Perhaps the same person/company could do it for you?
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

cafe_tom

Cheers Bonnie, you're right, I was hoping that someone in one of the guilds would be keen to do it.
I might have had a break through though; I work in a Uni, and a lecturer friend of mine has found me a fashion student who might be able to help...
As for trading skills, unfortunately the people who want motorcycles building, or painting, or things welding, often aren't so much into knitting... :iconbiggrin:
Bored? Try My Blog

Susie

I think the problem is it takes a long time and quite a bit of skill to knit a jumper (although I'm sure it takes a lot of people less time than me). Knitting is one of those things that's quite difficult to sell/ buy because if it was costed on the number of hours it actually takes even at minimum wage it's really expensive (++ the wool's expensive as well).

Someone once did a blog post somewhere where she costed the actual price of a pair of simple handknit socks based on the actual amount of time that it took to knit them, and it came to hundreds of dollars - this is why I could never knit for money, I'd be paying myself something like 1p an hour to get a price people would actually pay! :lol:

Good luck though, Tom, I'm not meaning to sound discouraging - I'm sure you'll find someone who'd like to do it.
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

ina

Susie wrote:I think the problem is it takes a long time and quite a bit of skill to knit a jumper (although I'm sure it takes a lot of people less time than me). Knitting is one of those things that's quite difficult to sell/ buy because if it was costed on the number of hours it actually takes even at minimum wage it's really expensive (++ the wool's expensive as well).

Someone once did a blog post somewhere where she costed the actual price of a pair of simple handknit socks based on the actual amount of time that it took to knit them, and it came to hundreds of dollars -
I made a rough calculation once - because people had suggested I could earn a living doing just that - socks would have to sell for at least £100 per pair, to get me an income approaching minimum wages... And that's not counting any benefits like sick pay, paid holidays, pension etc! But I know that I've seen hand knitted jumpers somewhere or other for around £200 or so. Some people truly don't need the income, and are content with getting a little pocket money out of it. I'm now careful about which friends I give hand knitted items to for presents - there have been occasions where I felt their attitude was something like - oh, only something handmade, she couldn't even bother to go out and buy something... :angryfire:

No, they weren't Ishers! :icon_smile:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Tom have u sourced the wool and a pattern? Ill speak to my mum and see if she would do it for you, she's a manic knitter and a lot quicker than I am, she knits to chill out in the evenings. I'm pretty sure if you got the wool and the pattern I could bribe her with some malteasers!!! Xx

cafe_tom

Thanks Mrs H, I think I've got it sorted now.
Bored? Try My Blog

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

cafe_tom wrote:Thanks Mrs H, I think I've got it sorted now.
Alrighty, glad u got sorted. Xx