Sheeps...

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sheeps...

We have sheep now.
A bit of a surprise to us but a farmer friend found two lambs whose mother had died and so we brought them home. They are currently in our living room in a straw lined box wearing nappies and we are feeding them warm milk every few hours. Will we have to feed them at night? I had poddy lambs wehn I was younger but can't remeber how old they were etc...
Anyone have any sheep wisdom for me?
"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

my blog: http://thedullroarphilosophy.blogspot.com/

Gert
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 51.126621
longitude: -1.933950

Re: Sheeps...

Hi Jessiebean

What breed are they out of interest?

Gert

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Watch them like hawks. all sheep are born with a natural kamikaze instinct and will search out and use anything they can to kill themselves, usually in the most ridiculous ways.
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

They are a Dorset cross.. something.
I will keep an eye on them, the small one is very weak today and it seems to be because his broether widdled all over him all night and he got cold...that would be a pretty ridiculous way to die. He is rugged up, in the sun and did eat a a good breakfast so I hope he will pull through.
"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

frozenthunderbolt wrote:Watch them like hawks. all sheep are born with a natural kamikaze instinct and will search out and use anything they can to kill themselves, usually in the most ridiculous ways.
This morning I found one had managed to become completely trapped beneath a complete car windscreen. He was on his side and trapped in the convex part of a spare windscreen in the shed.
ever heard the saying "as cunning as a sheep"? No? Me neither.Sheep and windscreen are both fine but now I am wondering what will happen next?

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

hate to say 'i told you so' but . . .
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

jimmyh1988
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

hmm dorset x charolais maybe or texel breed ? i'm not a hundred percent as i mainly work with pigs and cattle but remember the lambs now see you as mum or dad . so when the want feed you gotta give it to them. wat milk substitute are you using lamblac ? if not this is a good milk replacement for lambs also depending on age a heat lamp can help keep them warm at night just a few tips i picked up over the years a good bottle of milk should keep them quiet for a few hours so you may have to night feed . hope this helps . regards jimmy

Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks Jimmy they are provilac and keep each other warm, are on twice daily feeding now and I just went out to see them , they have nibbled a lot of grass lately. They are about 5 weeks old now. When they are weaned they are going back to the farm. We have had sheep now and are working on the chicken coop. I like chickens, my committed lifelong vegetarian husband says now that he has had sheep he understands why people eat them!

jimmyh1988

lol glad your sorted