what are you harvesting?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
red
A selfsufficientish Regular

what are you harvesting?

Not got a lot coming in right now - but still have veg in the freezer from last year.
I just this weekend pulled the first of the rhubarb, and it made me wonder what other people were harvesting?

we are having: rhubarb, PSB, sorrel, lettuce thinings, corn salad, the usual herbs, wild garlic, and eggs.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Millymollymandy

Re: what are you harvesting?

We're still eating the purple curly kale although it is flowering now but there are plenty of leaves and young shoots still.

Also red salad bowl lettuce which I sowed under a cloche type thing so it is now quite big. Other than that there's herbs and wild salady stuff that I haven't got time to pick so not a lot!

But still eating last year's fruit from the freezer, only 3 more large tubs of blackcurrants to go and then I'll be harvesting the next lot. :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

grahamhobbs

Asparagus, and a few remaining leeks outside, from the polytunnel still lots of lettuce sown in the autumn, loads of peas, a few spears of calabrese and cabbage. Still waiting for the cauliflower and purple sprouting broccoli to happen, planted in the autumn in the polytunnel, they all look super healthy, big and green but still nothing, why??

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cabbage, peas, broad beans, summer leeks, lettuce, spring onions, beetroot, carrots, rhubarb & strawberries.
Millymollymandy wrote:But still eating last year's fruit from the freezer
I am in the process of eating stewed apple and raspberries with my morning cereal, the raspberries were frozen in 2008 !
Still got the 2009 vintage to eat before the next lot start in August.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

grahamhobbs

Odsox, again impressed by what you are growing, succesfully followed your advice on peas in the polytunnel, how about sharing tips on how you get broad beans, beetroot, carrots and strawberries this time of the year.

Millymollymandy

Graham, how come your leeks haven't gone to seed by now? :shock: Or is it the cool conditions do you think?

Tony - I'm still eating 2008's stewed apple! Had no apples last year so glad I made the most of 2008 bumper crop.

Forgot to add to my list - rhubarb, but haven't got round to picking any yet. And still ploughing my way through mountains of last year's walnuts.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

dave45

Rhubarb now... last of the leeks two weeks ago... iceberg lettuces coming real soon

Silver Ether

Nettles, ransoms,jack in the hedge........................... chives, mint, sage, ......................... finished the cabbage and green beans from last year out of the freezer this week and still got a few foraged blackberries, blue berries and rasperries ... Then I can clean out the chest freezer ready to sart re filling ... on and I had a good surprise ... a small water bottle of elderflower cordial ... I thought it was all finished ... :icon_smile:
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

No problem Graham, the answer is I grow just about everything now under cover, see my post ... http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... 12&t=19187
Broad beans are Sutton and were sown just inside the door of my tunnel where the bees can easily get, in late November.
Carrots, beetroot & spring onions were sown in the greenhouse bed in early February.
I planted a dozen strawberry plants in troughs (also in Feb) and they stand on a shelf at the front of my greenhouse.

Also on the back wall of the greenhouse are climbing French Beans (Fasholt) which have tiny beans about an inch long, they should start to be ready in about 10 days.

MMM, my leeks are Bulgarian Giant which grow very quickly and were planted back in February in the polytunnel and are now about an inch in diameter and very tasty.
strawbplants.jpg
strawbplants.jpg (109.44 KiB) Viewed 5378 times
Tony

pelmetman

Purple Sprouting, Spinnach, Sorrel, Lots of Mixed Leaves, Little Gems, Rhubarb and usual herbs.

Still lots of fruit from last year i.e. apples, plums, raspberries, rhubarb, red currents and blackberries in freezer.

:flower: Sue
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

grahamhobbs

MMM, it is a bit strange although the leeks are starting to go to seed, there are a few that haven't just yet, whereas the parsley and sorrel has. I grew Autumn Giant and Blue Solaise this year, very impressed with Autumn Giant - big strong and lasts all winter, Blue Solaise I grew for the colour although St Victor also blue is better, looks stunning in the winter garden.
I'm also amazed that I have big lettuces in the polytunnel that haven't gone to seed (Rouge Grenobloise and Meravilla de Verano seem particularly good) despite some really hot weather. Back to freezing nights at the moment though.
And as I say, I can't understand why my PSB hasn't sprouted, in the polytunnel, massive healthy plants but nothing.

Odsox, just read your post, thanks for the tips, will try them next year, although I think your weather maybe a little milder than here because my carrots, sown similarly, are no where near edible yet.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

grahamhobbs wrote:I think your weather maybe a little milder
Yes definitely as I forgot the add new potatoes to the list.
Also tomatoes of course, but then you all knew that anyway. :roll:
Tony

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

All we seem to have are some rampaging mustard greens and a few bok choy which are rapidly going to seed.

And if I don't get my seedlings out soon, both in the polytunnel and garden, we won't be growing much this year at all!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

Cabbages, the PSB is flowering nicely, lol - the bees like it though :lol:
Could pull some rhubarb if i got round to it, but that's about it, everything else still v ickle

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Forgot the rhubarb, nettles and ground elder - but they were all here before me so I don't count them :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin