BBC How to Live a Simple Life.

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

BBC How to Live a Simple Life.

Probably not relevant to anyone but thought i'd post the link here!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Episode_1/

Merry

Re: BBC How to Live a Simple Life.

I`ve recorded it to watch when I`m not busy.
I thought it looked really relevant - but perhaps I got hold of the wrong end of the stick.
We are stardust, we are golden, and we`ve got to get ourselves back to the garden.

theabsinthefairy

I'd have watched it if I had known it was on - I can't get iplayer unfortunately. It looks interesting so will try to remember to watch the next ones.

It looks as relevant as edible garden - bit magazine-y style - but you can still pick up titbits of good info amongst the fluffy stuff.

Thanks for the link though southeast-isher
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

southeast-isher

Does actually look relevant, and is filmed locally here.

southeast-isher

absinthe, i recorded it to dvd if you want it... let me know, could post you beginning of next week.

Touchwood
Tom Good
Tom Good

My cynical side thinks it's easy to live like that for a short time when you have a load of parisheners to help and a fat BBC fee to come at the end of it.

Having said that it does give food for thought and I really enjoyed it.

pelmetman

I too liked him and the programme and will try and remember to watch it next week.

However, in reality I cannot see how you can live without money today. How do you pay your mortgage, rent, rates, electric, gas .....................?

He had the church to thank for his home and was renting the beautiful walled garden for only £25 a year.

Still it often puts a seed in peoples mind to live a greener, simpler life which can only be a good thing.

:flower: Sue
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Millymollymandy

I saw a bit of it as I was sort of dozing on the sofa :iconbiggrin: but liked the bit where he got chickens and they kept escaping into the church yard. Also the bit where he brought them a cockerel and they gave it a jolly good pecking and pulled its tail. :lol: He didn't come across as at all vicar like! Anyway I think it was good entertainment even if he (or anybody else) can't seriously live on nothing and it's good to have more proggies of the Ish type on telly. :thumbright:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

yvette
Living the good life
Living the good life

I saw most of the first episode - i didn't know it was on either!
I was interested in the practical stuff, but also in his exploration of the ethical/spiritual side of a simple life - fundamentally, in what makes a 'good' life in every sense. I'm not a Christian, but I was interested in what I heard of Francis of Assisi as a thinker, and I hope to learn more about that.
Yes, loved watching him chasing his chickens around - he should have got a cockerell bigger than the hens though!

theabsinthefairy

southeast-isher wrote:absinthe, i recorded it to dvd if you want it... let me know, could post you beginning of next week.

Thanks Southeast-isher. I will try to remember to watch the second episode this week to see what it is like. Are you planning to record the whole series? If you do, maybe I could borrow it then? Would return it to you no problems.
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

Big Al

Touchwood wrote:My cynical side thinks it's easy to live like that for a short time when you have a load of parisheners to help and a fat BBC fee to come at the end of it.

Having said that it does give food for thought and I really enjoyed it.

OOOH YOU CYNIC... I must say I've not watched it all yet but I think it's easy to live without money if you have it in the first place. As I say I've only watched 10 minutes so far but if he's a vicar does he have free accomodation or has he a mortgage? Utillity bills, food in the hungry period etc it all adds up.

I will reserve judgement until I've watched the whole programme but I'm a cynic too Touchwood.
Having said that he says he wants to live a simple life and that gets back to your own personal "simple life" Life would be a lot more simple for me if I was a millionaire because I'd spend loads of money on paid servants et al, lol.

One thing I did pick up on was that he said the religeous gadgy who was 800 years old lived preached a subsistance living or words to that effect.

From that comment I worked out that for me and Mrs Big al subsistance would be the mortgage, utility bills, Poll tax, and food. For m that I would need about £1100 a month and even then that could be trimmed if needed so that gave me a boost on a cold day,
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

southeast-isher

theabsinthefairy wrote:
southeast-isher wrote:absinthe, i recorded it to dvd if you want it... let me know, could post you beginning of next week.
Thanks Southeast-isher. I will try to remember to watch the second episode this week to see what it is like. Are you planning to record the whole series? If you do, maybe I could borrow it then? Would return it to you no problems.
Unless something goes horribly wrong i should record all three of them so just send me a PM if you do want them when ready as if you write in a thread i might miss it. Best wishes.

crowsashes

i love the idea! the whole ethical/spiritual side is rarely touched upon, its usually about cost in both time and money.

it is possible to live moneyless, theres a guy in bristol doing it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... oyle-money

i think though what people really need to do is to actually live off the absolute bare minimum if only for a few short weeks, only then can you truly see what you do or dont need.

there is so much criticism about the idea of moneyless living. but i always ask those people who criticise it how you can really judge when your sitting the other side of the fence ?

after all , everyone here is aiming for a self-sufficient life which is only a short step from almost moneyless with just a hell of a lot more hard work!

Millymollymandy

crowsashes wrote:after all , everyone here is aiming for a self-sufficient life which is only a short step from almost moneyless with just a hell of a lot more hard work!
I'm not! :shock: :iconbiggrin: I'm happy with just the ish bit which is hard enough, and like Big Al, if I had loadsa money I'd employ a gardener and a cleaner to make life a lot simpler. :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

pelmetman

I'm with you MMM on this one.

I have heard of other people trying to live for so many months without money but they have always been single males. I would like to see a family try and live this way for a year.

I like to think that we are part of a larger community in that we contribute by way of National Insurance and Taxes to enable us to have a National Health Service, Schools a good Social Benefits system for those in need or are disabled, we can only do this with money I'm afraid.

Suspect these past couple of years everyone has been living on a reduced income anyway because of the recession and in a lot of cases will have made a lot more people value money more and not take it for granted.

However, as I have already said I do enjoy the programme and will be watching it again.

:flower: Sue
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy