Woodash

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Harasimow
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Woodash

I've bought one of those incinerator dustbins for my allotment. The main purpose is to produce lots of potash for the garden allthough I will also use it for a bit of cooking on the sly. Someone told me that its better to burns small twigs/leaves/alive things rather than big logs/dead wood. As the plants have more potassium in them when they are alive. This sounds right but can anyone verify that?

Thanks.

Paul

chilitony
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Woodash

We are only allowed fires on our allotments around bonfire night so not to upset any residents that surround us :dontknow:
captus nidore culinae (caught by the odor of the kitchen)

dave45
A selfsufficientish Regular

don't follow the original logic - and if things have more potassium in them when they are alive - where does it go when they die?

be that as it may - you might additionally consider making "biochar" (charcoal) from your twigs and stuff - google it.... very interesting

Cheezy

I agree, you might loose some, but I don't know where to, and in the grand scheme it'll not be much. On the other hand burning "green" stuff is likely to p**s off more people as you will create lots of smoke. We have to be very careful as there is an old folks home to the south (They leave the windos open)and we're surrounded by houses. (East is OK as it's a cemetry and the in mates have not complained ...yet!)
The big dead logs can be a problem in incinerators as they can char and take an age to burn.

Also have consideration for other plot holders especilly if they are competition flower growers. We have dalia growers who go mental when people spark up in August /September as the smoke/soot discolours the blooms.

Final bit of advice, keep your incinerator dry. As soon as you spark up the galvanised coating goes and then the wet soon turns the thing to rust. Oh and don't leave green stuff in it to dry, as you might find when you come to light it mice have taken up residence and it's very distressing to see baby mice on fire! :pukeright:
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

pumpy

I don't follow the potassium thingy, but one thing's for certain.......... if you burn big stuff, you'll soon burn the bottom out of your incinerater. Here, we have a chalky loam-type soil, & so i either put the ash straight on the soil (provided i have the room), or i put a layer on the compost heap.
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

Harasimow
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Cheers for the reply guys. I've been on the allotment from sunrise to sunset today and had a fire going all day. Been burning dead twigs and branches ive pulled out of ditches. My allotments out in the country where everyone has woodfires burning at this time of year.

PAul