Washing Babies!

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
the woodmaiden
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Washing Babies!

I remember reading oats are good for irritated or sensitve skin....Eleanor has started getting the dreaded baby excema,I say dreaded cos I was covered in it when I was wee :cry: not nice at all,I was hoping the breast milk would *proof* em but maybe not,she just has a few little patches so hoping its just *normal* baby excema that will go.Both girls have their 8 month check in May(when they 10months as they were 7weeks prem so they *correct* their age) & I dont want to be hustled down a oooo you need steriod cream for that cos I know myself it never bally worked,just returns & I grew out of it!
I have normal porridge oats,are they ok or do I need different oats?? lol sounds daft but not sure :oops:
Do I have them floating in the water or in a bag?
Any advice if anyone used this on babes as a cleanser woudl be fabby!
Bright Blessings
Woody
x x x x
ps am waitng for my sample of soapnuts to arrive as think that much better for girls skin! well all our skin & will be DELIGHTED! to say byebye to washing powder!
:cheers:

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi Woody

Hugs!!

My older son Christopher had eczema as a baby - actually it was rather severe and did need umpteen different steroid creams before it was brought under control.

For us it was a milk/egg intolerance that caused the problem... but keeping the skin moisturised certainly helped. We slathered on bucketfuls of aqueous cream and used this to clean him rather than bathing - the doc recommended that we didn't give him a bath every day but just top and tail and bath once a week. It's worth noting though, that aqueous cream can also irritate the skin.. for us we found that certain brands contained preservatives that caused a problem.

We found that using ecover or surcare soap powder helped - that was way back then and I hadn't heard of soapnuts or I would have used them!!! Sure as eggs were eggs if we'd been to stay with the ex-inlaws and had stuff washed by the grannie then his eczema would flare up big time, so hopefully the change in washing powder might help.

Oats, I believe, should be tied in a muslin/similar bag so that you get a nice clean bath without bits of oats sticking to your skin.

Hope this helps...
xxxx
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

the woodmaiden

Hi sweetpea!Excema is horrid :cry: we were all in a medical mag cos we had it so bad :cry: I have the photo they took of us somewhere hidden lol!I had a few hospital stays cos had lost so much skin with it I had to go in to get it cleared up as was getting infected,euuurg horrid memories..
Mind you they said I would have it for ever & I got to about 15 & it went hurrah! mind you developed asthma at 19...hey ho such is life!
I am really hoping that this is just *patches* that will come & go but not get out of control...
I will stitch up a little bag tomorrow & start the oaty tubs!
Bright Blessings
Woody
x x x x

glenniedragon

Unfortunately one of the biggest contributors to littles ones Exzema is one we can't change-the old DNA I'm afraid, we have it on both sides of our family so we couldn't dodge that bullet! I know with Maximus washing powder had a lot to do with it, and we did'nt bath everyday just top and tail when he was small. As he has got older diet has also proved a contributing factor.
For oatmeal baths you put the oatmeal in a muslin bag and suspend it under running water- never tried it on offspring, more of a treat for myself!

kind thoughts
Deb

Upahill
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

My father has raging ecxema, he bathes the area in a dilution of apple cider vinegar and finds great relief from it. My brother uses it as a rinse for the very itchy flaky scalp ( can't recall name!) and finds the same.

Oatmeal bags (with herbs for grown ups!) like Deb said, hang under the tap - it makes the bath all milky. Some people use powdered milk for bathing too, not sure about that one!

I've heard of camomile teabags used to make washing water with almond and tea tree oil with a dash of ACV too for babies but I've no personal experience of any of this yet :wink:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Our youngest had it, we used to wash her with sorbolene cream and that seemed to make it better........

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Re: Washing Babies!

the woodmaiden wrote:...excema...
shirlz wrote:...eczema...
Deb wrote:...Exzema...
Upahill wrote:...ecxema...

I'm with Shirlz on this one.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

the woodmaiden

:lol I didnt even notice all those spellings Muddypause!! :oops:
well I used the oats this evening & they were lovely! in a little bag,didnt have time to sew one but used one I had hanging on the bedknob with dried lavendar in,left that in there thought it wouldnt hurt! added a handfull of oats & dropped the bag in the babytub & then squooshed it over the babies! very nice smelling & made the water sort of *milky*
will keep at it & see what happens to the sore patches!
Bright Blessings
Woody
x x x x
ps will be using the bag in my tub later too!