homemade compost toilet

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
devolutionary
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

homemade compost toilet

After looking at various extremely expensive toilet systems out there I was wondering if I could convert a standard large plastic garden composter into a toilet compost container with toilet seat attatched to the top. I could use the kind that have a door at the bottom to remove material and a large capacity so that it could be emptied less frequently than the standard bucket size concepts.
:flower:
Any thoughts?

boatkinson
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: homemade compost toilet

Where there is a will, there might be a somewhat workable solution.
My past experience might answer some these questions-
http://harmoniouspalette.com/ComposToilet.html

Ron and Jean
Tom Good
Tom Good

That sounds like a great idea :thumbright: . You could build a wooden frame and cubicle over it with a seat and the composter below. We used to have something similar with a green wheelie bin below, not much fun to empty out :(

Goodluck

devolutionary

Thanks for the ideas (turns out Her Outdoors wrote this topic while I wrote an almost identical one in reuse, recycle - no one replied to mine... I'm not bitter, though).

We're trying to avoid using concrete as much as possible. I came across something about a tree bog the other week - I'll check that out. And yes, the wheelie bin would have been pretty grim. And seriously heavy...

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

This looks like a great idea, but I must confess to being hopelessly confused.

It looks like you sit in full view high up over a compost bin. I know it can't be right but I've now got this image.... :oops:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

devolutionary

That's a very funny image!!! someone perched precariously atop a compost bin! :lol:
But it wouldn't look quite like that. There would of course be a small wooden building to house the loos, sited on a slope so that the entrance to the toilet would be a few steps up on the higher side, and, the access for the waste would be dug out a bit on the lower side to facilitate access. Complete with ventilation and solar powered fan. At least that's the plan...

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

This would work best IMO if it handles the volume of waste produced and you separate the liquid waste off the solid before it enters the system.

The very best advice i can give you is to google "the humanure handbook" and get the free PDF download of it. To my knowledge, that document is the authority on composting human waste.
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

Ron and Jean
Tom Good
Tom Good

What about having 2 compost bins and two seats above. Use one till the bin is getting full then switch to the other bin/seat while nature takes it's course.....