Cherry Plum & Crab Apple Overload

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Witchy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Cherry Plum & Crab Apple Overload

Hi guys,

I have a couple of cherry plums in my front garden and have a reasonable amount of fruit from it. A guy at work has decided I'm the person to give all his cherry plums to so now I have about 2 bags full of very rip plums!!

So, can anybody give me a fast and furious wine recipe so I can get them going?? If you can give me a basic simple steps advice too I would be most grateful :)

Just as an afterthought.....what about crab apples - we have loads near us and I would love to attempt something with them, wine preferably - any fast and furious simple recipe for this?

With thanks :wink:
-- Milo -------- Mini --------- Murphy --------- Mac ------- Joe Black -------- Meggy --------- Jacob ------- Midge ----- Topsey --

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cherry Plum & Crab Apple Overload

For plums ...

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques12.asp

For crab apples ...

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques40.asp

Or, if you want to go both ways at once, here's one I cobbled together from the above two ...

3lbs plums
2lbs crab apples
Juice of half a lemon (plus a bit more)
½ cup strong tea

Wash apples well. Quarter them, remove cores and place in cold water acidulated with juice of about ¼ lemon. Don’t worry if the apples begin to turn brown. Cover and leave for 12 hours, stirring now and then.

Next day, stone the plums and place in a bucket (food grade), pour a kettle of boiling water over everything, cover and allow to cool. Meanwhile drain the apples, place in another bucket and smash away merrily with a bit of wood (or a paint mixing attachment on a power drill). You are NOT trying to achieve a puree – just a break-up. Add to the cooled plums.

At this stage, you SHOULD add pectic enzyme to get rid of any pectin which might cause haziness in the finished wine. If you have it, add a level teaspoonful, make sure the fruit is covered with water (just) stir and leave for 24 hours. If you don’t have it, don’t worry – the wine may end up hazy, or it may not, but it makes no difference to the taste.

Dissolve 2 lbs (just less than a kilo – what the Hell; bung in the whole kilo) of sugar in a kettleful of boiling water – stir until it’s clear then allow to cool. When cool, add to the fruit in the bucket together with the juice of half a lemon and a half-cup of strong tea. Add yeast (a level teaspoon of wine yeast or, if you must, some activated bakers yeast). If you happen to have yeast nutrient, add a spoonful of that too. Stir, cover and leave in a warmish place. After a while, bubbles will start to rise and, gradually, the fruit will form a cap on top of the liquid (you’ll know what I mean when you see it). Every few hours, break up the cap and stir it in to the liquid. Do this for three days. After that period, strain the liquid off the fruit (I use a combination of colander, sieve and straining bag. Jellybags will do it, as will a teatowel if you’re careful). The thing to remember here is to recover as much liquid as possible but NOT to squeeze the fruit residue very hard. You’ll end up with a very cloudy liquid – this is as it should be.

Pour the liquid into a clean demijohn, top up to the shoulder with water (boiled and cooled if you want to, but I use it straight from the tap), put an airlock on, put the demijohn in a warmish place and wait.

You may get a very frothy fermentation (hence not topping up beyond the shoulder) or you may not. In any case, it will calm down. When it does, top up again to about a half-inch below the neck (it mustn’t touch the bottom of the airlock) and allow to ferement to a finish. You’ll know it’s finished when there are no more bubbles and a heavy sediment has fallen to the bottom of the demijohn.

At that point, pop back onto the site and scream for help in racking.

Piece of cake.

No guarantees, mind - I've never made it. But at least it's a simplified method and the recipe has every chance of being good.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Islay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Not a clue about wine (sorry!), but if you want to try any jams I've had a massive plum and apple preserve-fest, and the recipes are on my blog (address in signature), including recipes for:

Plum and apple jam
apple chutney
various apple and herb jellies
spiced preserved plums
dried apples (probably not good with crabapples and cookers, but a potential way for storing them for futures cooking without using freezer space)

Hope that helps!
http://www.islaybower.typepad.com
Finding, making and baking

CyberPaddy66
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

If you make it all into jam now you can make it into wine later with the jam instead of the sugar and fruit ;)
Life's a beach until you get sand in your pants!