Container Gardening Category?

Do you want more categories on this forum? Do you want to see some other things on the main site? Any suggestions you have, please let us know.
quibble
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Container Gardening Category?

I'm sure this has probably already been discussed and I'm just not finding the topic, but what does everyone think about adding a container gardening category under the "If it grows it goes here" forum?

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Container Gardening Category?

Personally I'd rather not, because we've got veg growing mixed up all over the place in so many sections that it makes it hard to find any info that you are looking for. We're thinking about reducing some of the sections anyway so that all threads about veg go into one solitary section! It would make life a lot easier!

There are plenty of threads on container gardening and you only need to mention it in the title of your thread.

That's my thoughts anyway!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

ina

I agree, MMM - a lot of stuff that go for container gardening are relevant for "non-container" gardening, too. And I think most people do both, in one way or another, anyway.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

quibble
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I guess that's a pretty definite 'no.' :sunny: That's OK.

I do understand the problems with searching for information. When you have to deal with presenting a lot of searchable data you can either follow the philosophy of splitting it up in to smaller bits or lumping it together into bigger chunks. Both philosophies have advantages and problems.

What led me to make the suggestion was my search results when trying to find posts about container gardening. My searches returned a lot of hits but the majority weren't pertinent. I thought since container gardening is such a popular approach to growing vegetables, maybe a category dedicated to the particular knowledge and problems required to be successful might be a nice addition. (I have 40+ years experience with large (quarter to half-acre sized) in-ground (earth?) gardens but this is the first year I tried containers. Container growing has it's own interesting challenges. Well, it's been challenging to me! :wink: )

Nevertheless, I do understand the 'no' and thanks for considering my suggestion.

For those trying to untangle the peculiar challenges of container gardens, I did find a couple of discussion groups dedicated to container gardening:

The ediblecontainergardens Yahoo Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ediblecontainergardens/
This is a very active and helpful list with members from all over the world. The members seem to be as quick to answer beginner's questions as those of more advanced topics. The files section has a lot of great information. Just like Selfsufficientish.com, it's full of passionate and friendly folks.

The Earthbox Forum: http://forum.earthbox.com/
I was surprised by this forum. It focuses on the commercial Earthbox self-watering containers, but it's far more inclusive than that. I found lots of information not only about using self-watering containers in general but also a large number of plans for do-it-yourself containers. I probably won't ever buy an Earthbox, but the forum sure is packed with ideas for new gardening projects.

Millymollymandy

Sorry Quibble, my first reply was probably a bit short but we are in the process of trying to reorganise some of the different sections (or forums for those who call them that) of the forum as there's a bit of an overlap with several catergories which need to be sorted out. Perhaps it would be possible to have a sub-section on container gardening but I really think that it would just be best to start a new thread asking any pertinent questions in the veg growing section. I grow in both the ground and in containers and don't really find there's much difference between the two. Same old diseases and bugs on both! :lol:

quibble
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Howdy MMM,

The big differences between earth and container gardening that have caused me the most difficulty have been feeding, watering and temperature control. I knew feeding and watering would be more critical (I'm not using self-watering containers) for the container plants. What I didn't realize was how much more feeding and watering I would need to do. I'm still working out the differences between types of plants.

The only pest that seems to be different (meaning worse) than earth grown plants seems to be Powdery Mildew. I've been fighting it on my squash plants for the past few weeks. I'm sure my early mistakes with feeding helped make the plants more susceptible. I've been using the same recipe I have in the past for an home-made organic fungicide: 1 tablespoon baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon of liquid soap (should be pure soap and not any of the antibacterial stuff) mixed with a gallon of water. That always worked for my earth-grown plants, but has been less effective with the container plants. If anyone knows of a better organic solution, please let me know.

Regards

Millymollymandy

Well, I have that all over a couple of roses in the ground and the cucumbers are just showing signs of it, so we've sprayed the melons, cucs and toms (which have blight) with Bordeaux Mix.

I previously tried a milk and water mix on the roses and it didn't make any difference. :roll:

It seems to just come with dull humid weather and attacks plants in the ground as well!

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have always understood that powdery mildew, if not caused, is certainly made worse by plants being dry at their roots and wet on their foliage.
A good thick mulch and frequent watering especially when the weather is damp and humid ought to slow it down a bit.

Interesting to see that you are addicted to amateur radio Quibble, as am I :cheers:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I didn't know amateur radio folks were still about - I did my city and guilds and my license when I was 15, never used it though.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Annpan wrote:I didn't know amateur radio folks were still about
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Not about ... where do you think we went then ??
You're not confusing us with CB are you, I think that has subdued somewhat.

Why did you not get your licence then Ann ?
I have had my licence now for 30 years and enjoyed every minute, in fact I can't think what I would do without it as it has become so much a part of my life.
Tony

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, not CB, proper amateur radio folks.... I dont know, but when I first got my license it was in the very early internet days and I just thought everyone would find something else to do. :scratch:

I never really got into it, I'm a girl :mrgreen: no seriously, I was a bit more into my music at the time and didn't have time for anything else. I kind of left the geeky weirdos of the radio club behind (no offense, obviously :lol: ) and I never got back into it again. I'm sure they are all IT multi-millionaires now though.

Besides, it is/was a pretty expensive hobby no?

ETA - I still have my license somewhere, but I'd imagine I'd need to renew it.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Annpan wrote:Besides, it is/was a pretty expensive hobby no?
It's as cheap or expensive as you care to make it Ann, the same as just about any hobby.
A cheap 2 metre hand held for a tenner on ebay will allow you to talk for hours through your local repeater.
Or even nothing as you can access repeaters all over the world by internet now, no radio required.
But yes, you would need to renew or reactivate your licence.

Umm, I think we may have wandered off topic a wee bit :lol:
Tony

Millymollymandy

Back sort of on topic it might have been downy mildew I was talking about. Whatever it is it isn't the dry at the roots one cos I have that all over lots of plants when it is dry here. It's the kind of mildew that attacks the curcurbit family anyway, and roses.

(I used to have a CB radio, that was fun for a while!)

quibble
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi All,

I do like it when a thread wanders around a bit. That's a sign of good conversation. :sunny:

Odsox, I've only had my ticket for a little over 2 years. I've been having so much fun with it that I can't believe it took me so long to decide to get my license. It's hard not to love any hobby that combines conversation and new things to figure out. I've been a very active short wave listener (SWL) for decades, but for some reason it just never occurred to me to take the next logical step and get my ticket.

AnnPan, Amateur radio is still alive and kicking. It's a great hobby and like Odsox said, it doesn't have to be expensive. My first station was a junked radio that another operator gave me and that I managed to bring back to life (with a lot of interesting learning experiences along the way!) and salvaged wire strung up in the trees for antennas. I think my total cost was around $40.00. I use a different radio now and the salvaged one has found a home with another new amateur just starting out, but I think putting together a station out of mostly salvaged junk was incredible fun! It sure made my first contact exciting. :lol:

Millymollymandy, AnnPan and Odsox, Your posts gave me an idea about what I might be doing to cause the persistant mildew problem. The soil in the containers is moist and not too wet (over watering is something I'm trying not to do). While I was checking the moisture, I got to thinking my watering technique may be the culprit. I use a garden hose with a shower sprayer attachment to water my plants. The sprayer does a good job of gently watering the plants but also puts a lot of water on the plant leaves. I suspect this constant wetting of the leaves is what's making the Powdery Mildew problem so stubborn. Keeping the leaf surfaces dry by watering below the leaves may give my plants some relief. It's worth a try anyway.

Thanks all! :salute:

Millymollymandy

I think that might well be the problem - I always water my pots with a watering can (and not with the rose bit attached!).

Hmmm my melons seem to have the same kind of mildew as blight this year - it's identical to that on tomatoes. Last year it was the white type of mildew. I'm getting so confused now I can't remember what mildew is what any more either! :lol:

By the way where did Odsox see that you were an amateur radio person because I can't see that in your postings :scratch: , unless it was on another thread that is.