chickens NOT out!

Do you know about an event that you want to talk about? Is there a campaign you have started, are involved in or want to start? Inspired by Marvin Gaye this is your place to tell the world what's going on.
poet
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

chickens NOT out!

hi everyone, if you love chickens and love keeping chickens in your garden, please have a look at our group and help us to support those who have been denied that priviledge

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=55594908075

thanks! :0)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: chickens NOT out!

I must say that sounds a bit bureaucratic but on the other hand they must have known of this restriction when they signed the agreement.
Playing the devil's advocate here, what would their neighbours think if those chicken were male ones and crowed every morning at daybreak (say 4 am in the summer)?
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

poet
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

please visit the facebook groujp as we've answered your first point on there :lol:

re the 2nd point, purely hypothetical, they're not cockerels and we're not campaigning for people to be allowed cockerels so that's irrelevant :wink:

StripyPixieSocks
A selfsufficientish Regular

I can see both sides, they DID break the rules of their Tenancy and if they start warping the rules for one they have to do it for all.

On the other hand how are two chickens any worse than two yappy dogs? I'd say Chickens were alot quieter if anything!

They should tell the council they are going to replace the Chickens with two huge Rottweilers who are going to roam the garden all day and night and see how fast they let them keep the chickens!

poet
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

StripyPixieSocks wrote:I can see both sides, they DID break the rules of their Tenancy and if they start warping the rules for one they have to do it for all.
that's what we want! :brave: :lol:
StripyPixieSocks wrote: They should tell the council they are going to replace the Chickens with two huge Rottweilers who are going to roam the garden all day and night and see how fast they let them keep the chickens!
like it! :hello1:

poet
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

p.s. here's the direct link to the petition if you don't use facebook

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/GardenPoultry/

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Hmmm, I must say that I'm a bit nervous about signing the petition. I just wonder if councils don't have the option of the local bylaws, would the government then impose other unilateral restrictions instead? For instance a minimum area or distance from other houses. Or say that all chicken owners have to register their birds or some other such nonsense. It does seem to be that if one law is removed, it is replaced with something far more drastic.

Zoe

poet
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

nobody has to tell the government if they have cats, dogs or rabbits etc All we want is the same rule (or should I say no rules!) for the keeping of a few chickens. A few chickens shouldn't really come under the term of "livestock". It's this interpretation of the term that is causing the problem.

Thomzo

poet wrote:nobody has to tell the government if they have cats, dogs or rabbits etc All we want is the same rule (or should I say no rules!) for the keeping of a few chickens. A few chickens shouldn't really come under the term of "livestock". It's this interpretation of the term that is causing the problem.
I doubt there was any rule here about telling the "Government" anything. This couple are being evicted by their landlord for breaking the tenancy rules. It just happens that the landlord is the local council. Asking for byelaws to be removed won't help in this situation.

I agree that a couple of hens shouldn't be defined as "livestock". I would suggest that a petition that asked for the housing minister to issue guidelines to landlords (particularly housing associations and councils) that a limited number of hens should be excluded from the definition of livestock would have more chance of success.

I do feel for this poor couple and agree that the hens should be classed as pets. I just can't see the current petition achieving the desired result.

Zoe

poet
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

just thought I'd let you know, the couple have been told they can keep their hens. Their solicitor found a clause in the allotments act which helped sway the council's decision. The couple were very grateful for all the support they received.

great news! :cheers:

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

That is good news :cheers:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

lsm1066
Living the good life
Living the good life

You know, it occurs to me that a friend of ours kept a Vietnamese pot bellied pig (named Caesar) in the garden of their council house for years and no-one batted and eyelid!

Great news that they get to keep their hens. Such a shame so much time and money had to be wasted by all concerned.

Lynne

Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yep totally stupid, hens and pigs must make much less noise than dogs for instance.
We have loads of chucks now and they're all so funny to watch, they're ex battery and are loving our LSB ... they go on little hunts together and all have their own personalities. Must admit I did work on a chuck breeding farm and I never actually saw the poor things as living creatures, they were just a part of my job to be done and I didn't have time to get to know any of them.

Thomzo

That is good news and, in this case, a victory for common sense. I don't agree, however, that chickens are less bother than other pets. I certainly wouldn't recommend someone keeping chickens if they have a very small garden. Their poo does smell and is more difficult to clear up than a dog or a cat. They attract flies and even the hens can make a loud noise which can be alarming if you aren't used to it.

But I am glad this case has worked out well.

Zoe

poet
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thomzo wrote:That is good news and, in this case, a victory for common sense. I don't agree, however, that chickens are less bother than other pets. I certainly wouldn't recommend someone keeping chickens if they have a very small garden. Their poo does smell and is more difficult to clear up than a dog or a cat. They attract flies and even the hens can make a loud noise which can be alarming if you aren't used to it.

But I am glad this case has worked out well.

Zoe
If pushed for space then 2 or 3 bantams would fit the bill. If you add garlic powder to their food then this greatly reduces the odour of the droppings. We also use aubiose bedding in the run which is extremely absorbant and can be composted afterwards, this also helps to reduce the smell. Any poo on paths or lawn just gets swished off with a hosepipe. Flies can be kept under control with a good cleaning routine and a cple of flitraps hung in the garden, also a few drops of citronella oil mixed with water in a mister bottle and sprayed on and around the run also helps. Yes, they can be noisy but I find dogs barking far more intrusive and if you keep them shut in their house until about 8am, this generally helps and also, if kept in a run, then hanging greens for them to peck at helps to keep them occupied.

We have 7 chickens; 3 ex batts, 2 hybrids and 2 bantams in a large walk-in run. They get to free range occasionally in our garden which isn't huge by any means.

I'd recommend chickens to anybody, they aren't maintenance free by any means but they are extremely rewarding and relatively straight forward to look after.