what can i do with lemon balm?

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
bryony
Tom Good
Tom Good

what can i do with lemon balm?

I've found a big patch of lemon balm whilst pottering in my hugely overgrown garden. (overgrown because it's rented, full of builders rubbish, and we don't have the means to sort it all out, may i add :oops: ). Exciting, because i love the smell, but i'm not sure what i can actually do with lemon balm, other than use it as a garnish on deserts. It'd be such a shame not to use it, and there's loads of it, so does anyone have any recipes or suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :flower:

Cloud
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: what can i do with lemon balm?

Me too. I have a garden full of the stuff. It's like a weed and I've been mostly treating like a weed for a number of years now. Except for it's lovely smell I've found no good use other than to fill up my compost bins. I've used the odd leaf for garnish, but the taste is too subtle for most dishes, and I'm not a tea drinker.
Image Image
Augustus and Hattie

Clara
A selfsufficientish Regular

If you get cold sores then it is proven that the hot water extract (ie tea) of melissa works against the virus that causes them.

Other than that I've had a delicious cordial of rose and lemon balm, think it had a dash of sage too, I've not yet tried to make it myself but will have to give it a go soon as all those things in abundance at the mo.

I wonder if it would make an interesting addition to jams and icecream/sorbets?

Chopped and added with sugar to chopped strawberries?
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

shell
Living the good life
Living the good life

great wine, :drunken:

Fizzy Izzy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I love lemon balm tea... Lots of fresh leaves and pour on hot water - very simple, very tasty :)

This page has some nice ideas though I've not tried any myself. The lemon balm pesto sounds like a nice idea though...

http://www.preferredconsumer.com/food_d ... cipes.html
Smile :)

Clara

FizzyIzzy - I was drinking the lemonbalm and rose cordial during labour as they are both very calming herbs - I have no idea whether it worked though I was too off my head with all my endorphins once i got in the pool :lol:
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

yugogypsy

I've been thinking of using it as a substitute for lemon grass in my Asian cooking.

Our garden too has an over abundance of it, it grows back as fast as we give it away

:cheers: Lois

Fizzy Izzy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Clara wrote:FizzyIzzy - I was drinking the lemonbalm and rose cordial during labour as they are both very calming herbs - I have no idea whether it worked though I was too off my head with all my endorphins once i got in the pool :lol:
Sounds yummy... I'll have to add that to my list of things to try :)
Smile :)

ina

You can chop it and add to salads, too. As tea, I like it mixed with mint.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

patR
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

OOOOOH DONT THROW IT AWAY!!!
Its a wonderful herbal remedy...
dry it , then store it in glass jars,

Skin ointment, for bites, stings, sores, scrapes, any kind of skin problem really,

add three heaped tbs of dried lemonbalm a sprinkling of rosemary and a sprinkling of lavender to a good big dollop of olive oil, mash well with pestle and mortar, put in glass jar in warm place for at least 24 hours. You can then strain it if you like, we dont. keeps for ages.
My hubby stuck a nasty splinter right down the side of his thumb nail, it rapidy went septic, and extra painful, he sat with his thumb dipped in the ointment all evening while watching a film, great improvement the next day, repeated it again that evening, completely healed...
works well on sunburn too....rashes... cuts... a million things!!
http://www.crazyfeetfootwear.com
for something just a little bit different

ina

You could probably just stick a bunch of it in your bath - must try that myself next time!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)